• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi everyone

FeeBee

Hello :)
My name is Fee and after nearly 2 years on tier 3, 8 years before that working with my GP and a lifetime of diets and periods of wrestling with eating disorders, I am booked to have my sleeve next month on the 12th.

Despite being sure for a long time this is the right choice, primarily because having survived life threatening illness several times I need to do whatever I can to help myself, I'm still nervous.

It's really helpful reading everyone's experiences and I hope I can contribute something useful too.

Welcome and lots of luck !
Lots of advice on here from people who have been in your shoes and walked the same miles as you , so don't be afraid to ask anything .
Xxxx

Hello and welcome, I wish only the very best in all things for you

Thanks so much everyone :)

Good luck - I am also new here and excited to be on the cusp of a change - excited really,

Hi and good luck with your operation. How come its taken 2 years on this tier 3 thingy, because 2 years waiting seems excessive, I think I would have lost the will to live, especially if I'd spent 8 years prior to that trying to lose weight with my GP's help.

In my case as far as I've been told this is how my pre-op journey will go. I have had my consultant appointment within a month of referral, have seen him, next I will have to go to an information morning, then see the psychologist, then back to consultant to book a date, then the op. This should take around a year, I think that's long enough.

My consultant is of the firm view that if you've been overweight for a long time, you'll never be able to maintain a healthy weight, even if you managed to lose it. Most people put it back on and more. He's definitely right in my case, and it was refreshing to speak to someone who seemed to know all about me and the struggle I've had throughout my adult life with weight issues.

As for the nerves, I think you wouldn't be normal if you didn't feel nervous about an operation. I'm looking at is as new beginning, that starts with a speed bump. But once over that bump, hopefully it will be a straight road ahead. (sorry for the corny analogy).

Jane x

It's partly because my health is complicated and not linked entirely to my weight. I was born with a rare bone disease and survived a brain haemorrhage five years ago so I was recovering and in active rehabilitation for a long time. Then other surgeries have had to take precedence.
The tier 3 I was on ended part way through my '12 months' so I also waited 4 months at least for them to pick up my care.
It wasn't the right time before now for a lot of reasons plus those above so I'm ok with waiting not least because I feel mentally and physically as ready as I'm going too :)

Hiya and welcome.

Best of luck with for your surgery on the 12th May. I'm 4 weeks today post sleeve and loving it. x

I also spent 2 years in tier 3. I was referred in March 2012 and had a monthly hour long appointment for just over two years. In that time I was set a loss target and told I had to maintain that. I had CBT as I most certainly had compulsive eating issue and binge disorders - eating secretly in the loo at work to name but some of my very dysfunctional eating issues. They didn't want to just cut out my stomach whilst by dealing with my mental health issues around food - I would simply have failed for sure. Even now I fight to stop snacking and compulsively eating so the 2 years I spent having monthly sessions on a one to one basis I found invaluable. Also my BMI was 40 and I just under 19 stone when I started. They asked me to get to 18 stone and maintain that for a year - which I did. In fact I jumped through every hoop and performed every trick they asked of me as I was at the end of opportunities and terrified that if I did not do all that was asked I wouldn't get the lifeline I needed.
I was referred for surgery tier 4 in August 2014 and my op was June 2015. I was 17 5 on the day of my op and BMI was 37. I feel very very fortunate to have been given this amazing tool by the NHS at a time when funding is so low for health interventions. So I guess it's about just doing your best to secure what helps you best. Each area does it slightly differently and I don't regret the time I had to devote to my surgery path. I truly had to hit the floor before I could face such a drastic intervention. As I have said removing 80% of a healthy organ simply because I could not control my eating is without doubt the most extreme and most crazy diet I have ever done - but I felt it was my last hope to reclaim me. And so far, it's been a challenge post op but worth it totally. Good luck to you indeed xxx

Thanks Debs. You've certainly been through a very involved process but as you say it was the right way for you.
Like you I'm painfully aware what an extreme step it is I'm about to take and I'd be a lot less comfortable if I'd not had to demonstrate my commitment before getting go ahead. Plus as I posted earlier I needed the time to be sure and also to try and be as well as I can be and to be in a position work wise where I can comfortably take the time I need without worrying.
They say this is a marathon not a sprint and it's one that starts well before we get our surgery date :)

Thanks Debs. You've certainly been through a very involved process but as you say it was the right way for you. Like you I'm painfully aware what an extreme step it is I'm about to take and I'd be a lot less comfortable if I'd not had to demonstrate my commitment before getting go ahead. Plus as I posted earlier I needed the time to be sure and also to try and be as well as I can be and to be in a position work wise where I can comfortably take the time I need without worrying. They say this is a marathon not a sprint and it's one that starts well before we get our surgery date :)

So true. And it's a life long commitment. The sleeve cannot be reversed and you cannot defeat it. So finding acceptance with the decision is vital in my view. Then you can move ahead knowing you will try and ensure you optimise your outcome.
I can all the bad things I want following my sleeve I just cannot each huge amounts in one sitting. I could still eat a chocolate bar every 90 minutes or so - and easily consume high calorie and this defeat the sleeve - so being ready to change I think is also part of the steps. Sounds like your doing marvellously x

Welcome and congratulations!

I found and still find this site so useful and supportive, looking forward to hearing about how your journey goes :) x

You sound like you've been through a lot, so hopefully the rest will be plain sailing. Wishing you all the best for your sleeve next month. x

I figure I'm karmically owed straightforward WLS @janeynic but I probably just jinxed myself!

Back