• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi Everyone! Finally decided - Self Fund Option

sharon2014

Hi Everyone.

I am new to this Forum and just wanted to say Hi!

I have struggled with my weight for years, similar to everyone and tried i think every diet option available to me without any long term success.

I went via the GPs route for NHS...but was going to be a very long road in Scotland...currently I have had various weight related ailments that are currently getting worse and felt having to wait that long would only make my issues worse and having saved a little of the funding, with talking with my immediate family have decided to go via self fund route.

When I realized I had the route available I actually went into shock and started crying lol and felt some of the burden was lifting off my shoulders!

I now have the job of trying to decide on a surgeon...and the Gastric Band is my choice, but will discuss with the surgeon.

I thinking of going via Nuffield Health in Glasgow as the price is reasonable and the doctors seem to get a positive review..can anyone share any experiences with Nuffield.

Also....why is there a difference in price depending on what your BMI is? Nuffield doesnt mention this but other facilities do..?

Going the private route...what generally is the timeline for this??

I have read through various posts already and everyone is so helpful and supportive, I hope overtime I can also contribute!

I self funded, I had my appointment and was offered surgery less than 2 weeks later - which I declined due to work commitments and also needing to do a bit more research, I was told it was £11k as my BMI was over 50, I left it for a month or so and the company contacted me, I told them I was unsure as it was a lot of money and that I was now looking to go abroad or at least get my BMI under 50, they offered me a cancellation for 13 days later for £9k!!
I had my op in a BUPA hospital which was really nice private room own tv etc tea coffee whenever I wanted.

Hi Butterly_lady, Thanks for the Reply. Your results are amazing!! Congratulations!

My BMI is over 50 also, curious why its such a huge difference in price, I understand there maybe more risk, but still?

The website quotes £6250, although im sure the price may change due to my BMI.

I have asked my doctor for a letter or referral, not totally sure if i require one, but would like to get on top of things.

I have 2 weeks off in the beginning of september from work, which I am hoping can be used for the surgery date, although if I could id get it ASAP, but this is something im sharing only with immediate family at present.

I self funded, I had my appointment and was offered surgery less than 2 weeks later - which I declined due to work commitments and also needing to do a bit more research, I was told it was £11k as my BMI was over 50, I left it for a month or so and the company contacted me, I told them I was unsure as it was a lot of money and that I was now looking to go abroad or at least get my BMI under 50, they offered me a cancellation for 13 days later for £9k!!
I had my op in a BUPA hospital which was really nice private room own tv etc tea coffee whenever I wanted.

Hi and welcome,

I'm going private, for a gastric bypass, and was offered surgery about 3 weeks after I had decided to go for it.

Good luck x

I went private. NHS - I was told 2 years wait and weight loss programme beforehand. Private - after my consultant appointment I was offered surgery within a month.

Different providers offer different things and have different contract clauses. I'd advise to read everything very carefully - especially regarding aftercare and complications!

I went private, had the op (Gastric Bypass) 4 weeks after initial consultation! I paid £10,995 with Spire Gatwick Park.

Hi everyone!

Thanks again for all the replies! It's interesting to see the different methods and why choose them!

I called Nuffield this morning and Mr Galloway has surgeries on Monday afternoon, sadly I was working but I'm booked in for next Monday at 4.30pm! So excited to get into bit more detail regarding it all!

The aftercare is very important to me, especially reading everyone's diaries and I definitely think it's worth the peace of mind, from what website states it's 2year aftercare.
Service

Initial Consultation £150
Dietician Review Included
Pre-admission Assessment Included
Surgery Included
Hospital Accommodation & Meals Included
Post Op Consultation Included
In Patient Physio Advice Included
Post Op Nurse Review 1 Included
Post Op Band Fills (Nurse) 8 Included
Surgical / Treatment Guarantee 2 Years
Package Price £6250