• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi to all, looking for advice on WLS

Dell

Hi everyone

I was on the boards a couple of years back as I wanted to try CD, which failed miserably on day one!! I can't for the life of me recall my username tho, and also have changed email address anyway, so this is the new, permanent me!

I have not lost an ounce since then, in fact have put on weight so now my BMI is a staggering 50.

I went to my GP today to ask to be referred for gastric band and he says there are new guidelines to be announced by our CTP in a couple of weeks so he will contact me then to sort out a request for funding.

Knowing my area, it will be a long battle!

Good to be back, am going to read up a bit more on others experiences
xx

HI Dell, and welcome to the WLS section of the forum.

THeres loads of us here at various different stages so ask any questions you want and someone will have the answer.

YOu've made the first step already by contacting your GP. Have you have looked at the BOSPA website? www.bospa.org

good luck in your journey, and keep posting!

Last edited:
Hi Dell welcome to mini's i went private for mine, however there are lots of NHS peeps around. which PCT are you? the site Sam has directed you to is a good starting point.

Hi Dell,

Welcome to mini's :) good luck with your journey!

Hi Dell welcome & good look with your journey.

Hi again to all and thank you for the lovely welcome!

I am with North East Lincs Pct, have checked on BOSPA and it says awaiting guidelines. So I shall see what my GP comes up with initially. I really can not afford to pay myself, so if its a no, even after appeal, then I will have to just try again to lose weight for the 15th year running :eek:

I have SO many questions, but am trying to plough through as many posts as I can on here to try and stop boring you all with the same ones!!!

I am over 20 stone and BMI is 50. I am 40 this year. I can get the balloon very locally and the band a little further afield. Probably bypass too there I assume.

However, I had kind of decided on the band having spoken to someone at length online about this but wondering if I might be pushed towards bypass. The thing is, I have only heard bad about the bypass. Its non reversible and a liquid diet forever, you get malabsorption problems, much more major operation with scarring... I hope someone can tell me what is true and what is scaremongering!!

As for the band, I thought this was removable? Do they leave it forever and if so, are the dietary implications for ever (ie little meat, avoid bread etc)

What is this milk diet beforehand I have read about?

If there are areas on here I can read about all this and more, please direct me to them, rather than wasting your time about duplicating information, as I have 3 children (and a husband and a dog LOL!!) so I end up popping on and off and forgetting where I had read up to!

Thanks again
xxxx

Last edited:
I have had the bypass 6 weeks ago and I can assure you that you wont be on liquid for life just 4 weeks post op. There are plenty of us on here that are banders and bypassers and you will get loads of advice The bypass was better for me as my BMI was 50 and I needed something perminant to stop me eating as much. The milk diet is a pre op thing to shrink you liver some hospitals offer a food based one aswell

Good luck with what ever you choose and welcome back ;)

Last edited:
Back