• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hiya, can anyone tell me what happens at pre op assesment?

manda1983

hiya im amanda and im new to this site, ive been on a few times and finally decided to join, i had a balloon last year and now ive been given my date for my band, im getting it done at sunderland, can anybody tell me what to expect in the pre opp assesment, as im havin that on friday morning and needless to say im quite nervous :confused:

Not sure which one it is but at the very worst you'll have an ecg and bloods taken and a swab taken for swine flu, not to give it you of course :)

How much have you lost with the baloon?

hi amanda,
i too am at SRH and had my last 3 bariatric surgeries there..pre-op consists of .... blood pressure check, ECG, Bloods, 3 swabs taken for MRSA one from perineam, throat and nostril... weight and height checked...thats about it really....good luck xx

thank you both of you :)

mixman, i lost 2 stone but have regained just over half a stone since it was taken out before christmas, i just hope the weight gain wont delay my surgery :) xx

Manda, good luck with the pre op.. the only other thing I had was a chat with the anaesthetist who went through my previous surgeries and discussed what would happen during the operation.

Good luck in every way! xxx

You are more than welcome, always at your side xxx

I didn't have mine at Sunderland. I didnt have to get a swab of anything. Thankfully. I did have to see a psychiatrist and go to several orientations. It was a bit exhausting because the time between my first consult was about a month and a half so I had to keep driving back and forth to which was a little over an hour each way.

Hi Manda
I work as a nurse at SRH paac (on leave until 5/4).
this is normal routine-
blood pressure, height, weight, MRSA swabs (as mentioned by Sharon)
written assessment of medical history/medication (don't forget to bring a list of meds with dose/frequency incl herbal supplements)
then nurse takes blood samples (usually 3 or 4 but the number depends on whether you have diabetes/thyroid)
urine test is only necessary if you have symptoms of urine infection, do mention if this is case or see GP asap.
Once we have finished you will go for ECG and possibly pulmonary function test (if you have asthma/copd).

I know its hard to maintain your weight after balloon has come out but you need to really try and get it down (pre op diet will help), if you ar found to have gained weight in paac we have to contact the bariatric nurse (Kim) to check you are still okay to come in.

Good luck
Denise

Back