• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Holiday Insurance

jayney3252

Hi folks looking for some advice. I have tried to get medical insurance to go to Egypt in November and they wont insure the band!!! They say the policy will cover everything else but not the band. I have even had medical screening and they wont let me pay extra for the band to be covered either so 2 questions

1. Am I putting myself and the band at risk flying?
2. Has anyone got insurance before for the band and if so who with??

Would really appreciate the advice as at the moment have visions of my band blowing up mid air and everyone putting their hands in the air saying they cant deal with it :eek:

Hopefully Cah-ching will be about later on, she might be a good person to ask as she has just flown this weekend andI believe she does quite a bit of travelling

thanks Neen just scared it will blow up and my travel company dont cover the band so wanted to know if any risks really and if worth taking an extra policy to cover the band. Thanks anyway ;-)

hiya

i posted on the shoutbox, but i used insure&go.
they covered me for the band no problems. we had family cover for me, richard & alex..think it cost almost £50 for a single 1 week trip.

i spoke to my providers about the band & flying thing as we had a couple of holidays booked not long after my surgery. they said they advise you not to fly within 2 weeks (some say 1 week) of having a fill...as the air pressure may effect the band. I flew exactly 2 weeks after my first fill & had no problems. I had a drink on board but didnt eat, so im not sure how that would feel.
In general though, i dont think there is much risk at all from flying with the band, especially if you follow the 1/2 week rule. I figured people fly back from the prague & stuff after having their surgery, not much harm could come from us flying such a long time after.

thanks Neen just scared it will blow up and my travel company dont cover the band so wanted to know if any risks really and if worth taking an extra policy to cover the band. Thanks anyway ;-)

always take cover for the band though!

even if it is unlikely...if you can not go and have to cancel the holiday for anything band related, you wont get a penny.
I knew id not need to cancel...and I knew id not need any hospital treatment over there...but it seriously is not worth the risk at all for the sake of 40/50 quid!

Oh my gosh that never accured to me about having the band and flying with the cabin pressure. As Emma&Alex says they wouldnt let people fly after the surgery overseas if there was a problem.

Good luck, let us know what info you find out too. That will be interesting xxx

thanks for the info I havent had a fill for ages I had corrective surgery end of July so hopefully will be ok but if I am able I will advise you how good it was but obviously I wont if I am unable lol

just booked insurance with getmy.com £53.00 and gasric band covered so better to be safe than sorry as we spend alot of money to have it done, well I did so to cover it going wrong is worth every penny. Thanks for all your advice though girls appreciate it and at least if this thread makes people aware to insure then its worth it.

Thanks Jayney for letting us know, thank goodness you wrote this thread or else it would have never crossed my mind about getting insurance to cover the band. Now that you've got ur mind at rest you can have a holiday xxx

exactly GG I can enjoy myself now (well once I have landed and havent blown up in the aeroplane lol). I love this site you can get so much help and help so many by your own ignorance so all good. (not saying your ignorant though I meant me ha)

Well fancy you going on holiday to Egypt in November...... so am I.

I have just insured, yesterday, with a company called insureforyou.com.

I had quite a few things that needed sorting, I had high BP and take anti depressants, am over 60 and the OH was over 70, a couple of companies were so expensive we thought of not doing it at all, but these seemed ok.

Hope that helps. Where abouts are you going????

i wish i was going to egypt in november.
egypt is my favourite place, luxor is amazing.

I took out the insurance last week so phone Swift Cover just now so I was sure of what I was saying.

Luckily I did (thanks folks) ... given that they consider gastric banding as a pre-existing medical condition (wtf??!!) I've cancelled my cover (luckily I'm within the 7-day cool off period) and will be looking for someone who includes it in their policy.

x

I am off the sharm 5th November cant bloomin wait but was very worried about the insurance got mine now with a company called getMY home and was £53 for a week grrrrrr nightmare but feel much better now that it is covered so glad I raised this thread now it seems lots of us werent aware so all helps.

thats good but this is my first holiday for 3 years I hate squeezing into plane seat oh I hope it feels better this time then who knows the world is my oyster x

hahaha janey i knew what u meant. im having my surgery done next sunday, but it never even crossed my mind about getting extra insurance to cover band. did you take out insurance when you had the op (to cover the op)?

no chick this is holiday insurance I am on about as I havent flown since having before having band done and unless you disclose that you have a band then it is not covered and if anything went wrong with it abroad you would be stuck. If your having it done abroad I would enquire with an insurer it may be safer but not sure really sorry but maybe someone else who had it abroad will post. Good luck

Yes sorry my brain is running away before my typing, yes I knew it was holiday insurance. But was wondering if you have to take medical insurance when you have the op :confused:

Back