• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Holidays and ops......

phatmomma

I have a dilemma of sorts.

A friend of mine has planned a mass exodus of my family,her family and lots of friends for next July (end of) to Benidorm...

Me and my kids have not had a holiday for a good 4/5 years and its so overdue.

I so want to book to go and was really hopeful of having my operation early in the new year. But what with WM putting others operations back and my 2nd appt put back i'm scared to book it and end up having an op in April and not been super duper fit by July. By fit i mean in the mindset of the eating and drinking with the bypass......

Do i book but ask the travel agent if necessary can i change the date, would mean not being with friends but still a holiday... I so don't want to cancel any dates they may give me for my op (presuming i get funding with my bmi and diabetes of course)....

Answers/advice on a postcard or just underneath would be good folks xx

I wouldn't book anything if I was you, till you get your op date:D

I would hang on before booking anything. If you do get your op early enough you could always try and get a holiday at the same place as your freinds and family. If you don't want the kids to miss out maybe they could go with your family and leave you to chill out at home lolxx

I went on holiday 5 weeks post op open bypass and had a wonderful time, hadn't lost much weight after 5 weeks but what the hell the holiday definately did me good after what I'd been through. I'm not 3 months post op yet and I feel the same now as before the op but 52lb lighter, if it was me I'd book it and you'll have something nice to look forward to. xxx

All sound advice but leaves me no closer to a answer...

Gaynor i can't get my family to babysit for an evening let alone have my kids for a couple of days (i will so not be one of those nannies and i have done my share of sitting for their kids), though my sister does have one of my girls sometimes but she's company for her child... My holiday is with friends who i consider closer than my own brothers have been and it's abroad i wouldnt let the kids go without me....

I think i'll stew on this and maybe have a chat with some of my friends see what they think.....

I was in same situation last year booked hols for Oct then having op on Mon it will be 5 weeks after opp surgeon said not a problem and would be good.

I rang holiday insurance to see where I stood and they said as long as doctor gives ok then ok also if I need to cancel will get full refund of holiday as opp was not scheduled at time of booking.

I was in same situation last year booked hols for Oct then having op on Mon it will be 5 weeks after opp surgeon said not a problem and would be good.

I rang holiday insurance to see where I stood and they said as long as doctor gives ok then ok also if I need to cancel will get full refund of holiday as opp was not scheduled at time of booking.

Oooh Jeff, that has really helped me, thanks for that. Will get on the blower (sorry had an Arfur Dailey moment then) to travel agent tomorrow morning see where i stand xx

Hmmm... I dont think I would book it yet Julie to be honest. If your 2nd appointment isnt till after christmas then they apply for funding then its up to 20 week wait once funding granted. You could very well end up with your op clashing with your holiday.

You could always start saving now for it so you have something to look forward to, but I wouldnt book anything definite until you have your op date.

I started a new job in April with 3 months training so I asked the manor if I could request for my date to be no sooner than August as my 20 week waiting period would have been up at the beginning of July. They were more than happy to oblige and it has made planning so much easier knowing so far in advance when my op would be (although they have just moved it back a couple of days)

So if you are determined to book now, and then it clashes with when your operation should fall due, you can ask the manor to move you back down the queue a little bit.

Hope that helps.

Hi, Julie,
When I had my appointment with Mr. Khan I asked how long after surgery it would be, before I could travel by plane. He said 6 weeks. I think I would probably be inclined to wait until I had a date before booking anything. Having said that, I once changed a holiday that I had booked and just had to pay an administration fee. I think it was about £25.00 each, though.

Have decided not to book anything, travel agent wasn't much help just suggested i read my insurance policy which i dont yet have. So as much as i want to go on holiday with my friends i may have to miss it grrr

Back