• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HOMERTON NEWBIE

petshell

Well I am finally on my journey of sustained weight loss. I never thought for one minute that I would ever be able to have an operation.
I have seen the dietician, had group exercise and i am to see the surgeon on Monday.
I dont know which surgery he will suggest, but I do know I have to now lose 1 stone as soon as possible in order to go to the panel.
I have been reading loads to get my head round everything.
I have been set a few tasks from the dietician:
use smaller plates
eat slowly
so that sounds manageable!

Any tips?
Anyone had surgery at the Homerton? How long did you have to wait?
Regards
Shelley (have 9 stone to lose)

hi, i'm not at your hospital, so can't answer your question, but i would just like to welcome you to this site.
sue.

Petshell,

Welcome to Mini's :D

I'm with Homerton - infact have my appt with the bariatric nurse/dietician tomorrow. I've seen the Surgeon's registrar ( think they did it back to front with me as i've been messed about a lot )

Did they indicate how long the waiting list is once you have funding now? Which surgeon are you under and where are you from? :)

homerton

the impression I got was that it is 6 months - 12 months from going to panel x and i have to lose a stone before going to panel.
i am from Colchester.
Shelley

The registrar said it could be 6 months to me the other week when i saw her, but didnt say anything about losing weight before it goes to panel, although i've been under an obesity physician attached to the Homerton for the last year as well.. I've lost weight and put it on in that time lol

Are you seeing Koak or Mannur tomorrow? Have you had to have a sleep study or psyche analysis at all?

I'm from Hornchurch Btw

hello shellie nicky here i had my sleeve at homerton on the dec30th you will be recommended for bypass or sleeve my surgeon was dr angelino who was lovely there is a dr mannur who is excellent as well a lot of people pay private for mannur make sure you do diet they will check this keep us imformed and welcome to site i waited 6 mths my first appointment at homerton was june there is a lovely lady called diane bushall who will sort panel and funding out for you good luck with your journey

i dont know who i see tomorrow.
I had a sleep study done two years ago and they have not suggested psych analysis.
Shelley

thank you x
I am excited but I need to keep myself from getting overexcited til i see the surgeon tomorrow then it is all systems GO!
I am 100% ready for it x
Shelley

Hi, I am with the Homerton and had my GB on 4 December. My surgery was done by Koak (new surgeon at the homerton) and I had my first appointment in July with the dietician and group discussion as well as seeing the Registrar then got a call in November giving me a surgery date for 4 December. If you are diabetic they prefer to give you a bypass.

Stella
THANK YOU X
I do have diabetes, and the more I read the more I would like the bypass.
How are you doing post op?
Did you have to do the milk diet too?

Hi Shelley. Am doing good. Have occasional mishaps with food not settling well but on the whole its a good result for me. I am 7 weeks post op and finally starting to eat normal foods. The diet they give you is low cal, low fat, low carb However, I had been doing the Cambridge Diet before and the dietician was happy for me to carry that on. I was about 2 stone lighter than when I had my last appointment so I don't think they were that bothered about weight - just shrinking the liver. Upon discharge you have to do 4 weeks liquids and then 2 weeks sloppies and then start on textured foods. I was in hospital for 4 days but got my partner to bring in some low fat milkshakes as they're not particiularly good at catering for bariatric patients when it comes to food. I lived mainly on milk and milkshakes for the 4 days. The doctors/surgeon are very thorough though.

Hi Shelley

Nice to hear from someone so close to home, i live in Colchester where abouts are you,?? maybe we are at the same GP's as i know someone else was reffered to the Homerton from my surgery.

Wendy, I am with Mersea Road Surgery. i know another from my surgery too!
Have you got an op date? has your funding been sorted?
Regards
Shelley

Hi i had my bypass privately with Mannur and if you are under him you have a great surgeon. I was also under Homerton to have my Gallbladder removed when i developed complications.

Welcome to Mini's

HI Shelley
Not the same surgery as me then mine is in Stoke by Nayland. I have had my funding passed and i am now waiting for my op date, i had a date to see the Surgeon on the 11th jan but they cancelled it because they wanted me to have a sleep study done at Colchester gen, which i had last Tuesday i have another appointment at the L&D on the 16th Feb, so hope they might be able to give me a date then. If you want to you can P,M me. Would be nice to talk to someone local.

Back