• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hoping for band, canterbury, kent

kissthetoad

hi,

my name's julie and i'm so excited.

I've spent the last couple of weeks reading all your diaries, up's, down's and seeing your before and after pictures - what a great forum this is!!! SOOo inspirational and educational. Thank you.

i am seeing my consultant on friday, MIDHAT N SIDDIQUI, at the Chaucer Hospital, Canterbury, for the first time I've not seen his name mentioned on here other than back in 2009. Does anyone know about him (i have googled him but not much coming up about bariatric expertise).

i've been overweight ALL my life, not enjoyed it one bit, lost a load of weight between having my two boys, who are now 19 and nearly 17, but, put it all back on and more besides :cry:

I have chosen to see him as I only live 30 mins away but am getting concerned. Does anyone know anything about him at all?? Maybe I should just wait for fri and see how it goes?? although hearing that others have seen him would make me feel more at ease.

I shall continue to read and digest your posts. Upwards and onwards :)

Hello and welcome! I'm afraid I don't know your consultant, but I hope it all goes well on Friday:)

Well I've had the meeting to find out more. I still have questions and have since found someone local to me that's had a band for three years and meeting with her next week for a coffee. My questions still are these - first year is covered re fils and defils but on year two how often approx would you need a fil/defil and once you finally reach that happy target weight how do you put the breaks on, as it were lol. My mums worried I will keep going :). I read this forum several times a day. It's great and well done to all those losers!!!

I met the lovely lady. She's been banded for three years and looked amazing. She showed me her before pictures and she was a new woman. So I left it a few more days then yesterday I phoned to get the ball really rolling. Waiting now for dietician to call then we're off :) excited yet a little thing inside is doubting it will work. If I stick to plan it should!? Once I've seen the dietician I will start a log of my journey on the diary page. You've all been so inspirational and helpful with your stories. (I've not posted much yet but seems to take a couple of days for my comments to go live) :/

My questions still are these - first year is covered re fils and defils but on year two how often approx would you need a fil/defil and once you finally reach that happy target weight how do you put the breaks on, as it were lol. My mums worried I will keep going :). I read this forum several times a day. It's great and well done to all those losers!!!

Hi and welcome!

To answer your questions, defills are not the norm. You will only need one if medically necessary, for example you are pregnant, need an operation or if a recent fill has made the band too tight.

People do tend to have more fills in the first year, to try and get to whats known as the sweet spot. However I would recommend finding a three year aftercare package if you can. That way you get the access to a dietician and fills etc for a longer period to help you on your way. Aftercare really is the key with a band.

Good luck xx

I would certainly recommend trying to get at least a 2 year package. I've had more fills during my second year than what I did during the first and at 17 months out, still going! I'm now on my 13th fill, I think its 8 of those in my 2nd year.

Everyone is different with the band and how many fills etc are needed, and it's more "normal" for want of a better word that it takes around 4-7 fills depending on band size too, but if you're covered for 2 years then you should be very much sorted!

I also have a 3 year insurance policy with my band against issues, problems, slippages and I'm glad I have that for peace of mind too :)

Thanks Mazza and Top Kat for your insight. My package will only be one year which is a concern. But I'm also reading that there are ex-bariatric nurses seeing the need for fils etc and starting up. Obviously picking a good one is essential. I'm wondering, as this is becoming more and more popular, whether this would be a lower cost alternative. Hind sight is a wonderful thing. I'm looking at the moment for any insurance company that would have a policy for say three years, topkat, if you don't mind, could you point me in the right direction for this so I can do some more research? Many thanks :)

My insurance policy was arranged via Healthier Weight, I will see if I can find the paperwork and let you know who they are. But I've most definitely needed a 2 year after care as at 17 months I'm still trying to find restriction with my band.

Well I've just phoned to cancel proceedings due to colposcopy now due :( to be told I had a date of 7th feb. So annoying but I must deal with this issue first. In a way it's given me more time to research other providers as mine is asking for £6800 to include one year aftercare. If anyone can help id appreciate it. I'm looking to go private and live in kent. Ideally 2 or even 3 years included would make me much happier in case something goes wrong :/.
All the best to those having their wls soon. :). I will be joining you once this is dealt with. I know this is important but just seems like things get in the way and I'm never gonna get there :(. Just want to get going and join those on the losers bench :).

Have a look at Healthier Weight, they do surgery based in London. My surgery was £7500 but that was because my BMI was over 50 when I started, so it included a premium. But it also included 2 years post op care and my 3 years insurance. They have been great in pre-, during and post op care.

that sounds very good top_kat, if i had the surgery in london, do you reckon i could get the aftercare more locally ie canterbury or would this also have to be done in london? many thanks

There are lots of providers that are UK based and have clinics all over the country.

The more popular ones yoy have probably seen advertised:

Hospital Group
WLS Group
Streamline
Healthier Weight

Etc, etc. All will have different prices and different packages.

Have a look on their websites x

Thanks ladies. Been scouring the web for
More info. At the moment I'm in limbo. Have a date of 7th feb for the band and saw my gp this morning who said if I can have it and recover before the colposcopy then go ahead. But the PA for my surgeon has not made contact despite phone calls and text messages since Friday last week. You'd think spending this sort of money privately they'd get back to you but nothing. Nada!! So frustrating. My brother is visiting from the states on 2nd for one week and would love him to be here for support if the band went ahead. Im really considering going elsewhere. Not been at all happy with the communication :(

Spire hospitals also offer a 2year aftercare package i payed £4950 for mine with 2 years aftercare, they also can do a 5 year plan if you like.
With the aftercare it all depends on the individual too, im taking my fills very slow im nearly 4 months post op and only have 4ml in my band. This is enough for me i get hungry but ive changed my life so eat in a different way. I wouldnt look on it as a plan as what do you do when the plan comes to an end. Start thinking about it as a way of life makes things much easier for me x x

I've made contact with spire earlier on. Their deal was good. May now go back to them. Their surgeon was known too :/ oh I'm just so frustrated. Want to get on with it :)

ok, update, my surgeon now apparently doesn't do bands at the chaucer now, not sure why?? so i've been given a number to call for Somerfield Hospital in Maidstone. I've got an appointment on Thurs at The Wells Suite, Tonbridge Hospital. The package is quite different between the two - Maidstone and Tonbridge (same group). £6850 and one yr aftercare at Maidstone and £5950 with 2 yr aftercare at Tonbridge. I think's it going to have to be Tonbridge. Still not had the letter thru for my colposcopy but if I get a date for this I shall have this first which can only help for the other later. Also, at Chaucer it was to be a 5 day preop on milk, but the lady said on the phone that this will be a two week preop diet. How it all varies!!!!! Ok, so now I'm back on track with my plans and getting excited once again :) My partner, bless him, is from Leeds and would love me to have it done up there and for us to stay with his parents, very kind, but I'd like to be nearer home. Lovely reading all your journeys ladies and gents. Gives me such confidence that this may well work for me!!!!! :)

Back