• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hoping to start my journey

deedee_

It does seem strange to have one or two appointments and then get a date, it's this private or NHS? If you hand acid reflux, the sleeve generally will make that worse, in that case bypass would be better. I'm surprised he didn't recommend what he thought would be best for you, they normally do.
If you don't eat meat, you might be better with the sleeve if you've not got acid relux, because you get malabsorbtion with the bypass and you need lots of protein. You really do need to do lots of research, look online at the pros and cons of all the different types of surgeries, they're is also the mini gastric bypass as well.
Only your team can say what LRD you'll do if any, no one here would know for sure, they are all so different. X
It’s NHS which is why I’m a bit confused. I don’t have problems with acid reflux or any medical issues which would make one more suitable than the other so I think that’s why he wants it to be my decision. It’s just a difficult one.

Yeah I eat a lot of quorn, beans etc so I might be ok but obviously a chance that might not agree with me anymore so I’d be restricted. I’m only vegetarian because I don’t like meat so suppose there’s a chance I might change after surgery too.

Sorry wasn’t clear - surgeon definitely said 4 weeks of LRD. Will obviously do as I’m told but nervous about it all!

I get the impression from fb groups and this site that most people choose bypass so I’m trying not to be swayed to just go with what everyone else says. My surgeon said he performs a 70/30 split with more people having sleeve which I thought was interesting. Just don’t seem to come across those people online as much! x

Bling Babe

Hiya! Wow you’ve done so well!

So I had my surgeon appointment today - he basically wheeled off a load of risks and talked me through all the potential complications which is terrifying to hear.

I tried to ask him which he’d recommend for me but he wasn’t having any of making that decision. I don’t eat meat so he said maybe sleeve would be best but if I have a hernia and he can’t do it, then a bypass. So I don’t know. He said he’ll book me in for a bypass slot and I can decide on the day which is scary!!

How did everyone decide which is best for them? I don’t have any health issues or anything which suggests one operation is better over the other so I’m finding it really difficult.

Asked next steps - thinking Id need more appointments because I’ve only had the one initial appointment in December and he said I’ll get my date in the post?! I feel like I’ve missed something after researching and seeing how long people usually wait to get to this point so I don’t want to get too ahead of myself in case something comes up?

Will have to do the LRD for 4 weeks when the time comes though :(
The 4 week LRD is manageable, at Luton the LRD is the milk diet, I found it fairly easy tbh, I agree with @Sarnie if you don’t eat meat the sleeve may be better because of the high protein requirements post op, my surgeon wouldn’t decide either he said he would book me in for one but I could decide on the day, this was taken out of my hand though following a gastroscope as he found a hernia and I suffered from reflux too so a bypass it was, lots of research for you I’m afraid, good luck xx

MariaMaria83

Hello! I’ve not been on here for what seems like an AGE but popped on and by chance stumbled upon your thread.
I had my operation at Homerton in April and they do work fast, I was 7 months from my first appointment, would’ve been quicker but I had a change of surgeon after I’d signed my consent and a cancelled op.
What are you waiting on now? Pre-op? Have you had your Preparing for Surgery group session?
Homerton really are so good! The aftercare has been amazing! I had a surgeon appointment on Friday and I already have my next appointment letter for 6 months time! x

deedee_

Hello! I’ve not been on here for what seems like an AGE but popped on and by chance stumbled upon your thread.
I had my operation at Homerton in April and they do work fast, I was 7 months from my first appointment, would’ve been quicker but I had a change of surgeon after I’d signed my consent and a cancelled op.
What are you waiting on now? Pre-op? Have you had your Preparing for Surgery group session?
Homerton really are so good! The aftercare has been amazing! I had a surgeon appointment on Friday and I already have my next appointment letter for 6 months time! x
hiya! thank you for replying :)

which op did you go for? who was your surgeon?

i actually didn’t end up signing anything in my consent meeting?! i asked the surgeon next steps and he said it was to wait for op date - but assume my pre op and seminar will come prior to that. i think he’s on leave during march so i think my wait will begin now - which i’m ok with! it was so easy and quick to this stage (11 weeks i think!!)

have you joined the homerton fb group? x

MariaMaria83

Hi sorry, I didn’t get an alert to say you’d replied? I went for the bypass, purely because I wanted dumping as sweets/choc were my downfall and dumping would mean I couldn’t eat them....Im one of the ones who don’t dump unfortunately for me! My surgeon is Mr Loy, he’s been great, so nice.
Oh? Strange that you didn’t sign any consent forms? You’ll need to do that before your op, I’m pretty sure that’s standard across the board tho.
Yea you’ll defo need to have ur pre op and group meeting prior too.
This does seem like the longest part, I just kept calling every week, I couldn’t wait for them to call me 😂. I have some numbers for the people who I called when I was getting REALLY impatient.
No I didn’t join any Homerton groups, have you? x

Lalapo

Hi I had the Sleeve in Nov 2019. I was 19.2 now week 22 I weigh 14.0!
I opted for sleeve as it gives me small pouch but it doesn’t change the body functioning like bypass does.
My hospital room buddy had the bypass. Both of us making same progress but she has dumping bad. She can’t eat anything ready made with sugar in it. Where I eat chocolate etc. Post Sleeve - it is a tool. You have to diet with it. You can put on weight if you eat wrong food.
so you need to decide what you want. If you can’t control your chocolate habit, I will say sleeve will be a struggle.
Keep me posted x