• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hoping to start my journey

deedee_

It does seem strange to have one or two appointments and then get a date, it's this private or NHS? If you hand acid reflux, the sleeve generally will make that worse, in that case bypass would be better. I'm surprised he didn't recommend what he thought would be best for you, they normally do.
If you don't eat meat, you might be better with the sleeve if you've not got acid relux, because you get malabsorbtion with the bypass and you need lots of protein. You really do need to do lots of research, look online at the pros and cons of all the different types of surgeries, they're is also the mini gastric bypass as well.
Only your team can say what LRD you'll do if any, no one here would know for sure, they are all so different. X
It’s NHS which is why I’m a bit confused. I don’t have problems with acid reflux or any medical issues which would make one more suitable than the other so I think that’s why he wants it to be my decision. It’s just a difficult one.

Yeah I eat a lot of quorn, beans etc so I might be ok but obviously a chance that might not agree with me anymore so I’d be restricted. I’m only vegetarian because I don’t like meat so suppose there’s a chance I might change after surgery too.

Sorry wasn’t clear - surgeon definitely said 4 weeks of LRD. Will obviously do as I’m told but nervous about it all!

I get the impression from fb groups and this site that most people choose bypass so I’m trying not to be swayed to just go with what everyone else says. My surgeon said he performs a 70/30 split with more people having sleeve which I thought was interesting. Just don’t seem to come across those people online as much! x

Bling Babe

Hiya! Wow you’ve done so well!

So I had my surgeon appointment today - he basically wheeled off a load of risks and talked me through all the potential complications which is terrifying to hear.

I tried to ask him which he’d recommend for me but he wasn’t having any of making that decision. I don’t eat meat so he said maybe sleeve would be best but if I have a hernia and he can’t do it, then a bypass. So I don’t know. He said he’ll book me in for a bypass slot and I can decide on the day which is scary!!

How did everyone decide which is best for them? I don’t have any health issues or anything which suggests one operation is better over the other so I’m finding it really difficult.

Asked next steps - thinking Id need more appointments because I’ve only had the one initial appointment in December and he said I’ll get my date in the post?! I feel like I’ve missed something after researching and seeing how long people usually wait to get to this point so I don’t want to get too ahead of myself in case something comes up?

Will have to do the LRD for 4 weeks when the time comes though :(
The 4 week LRD is manageable, at Luton the LRD is the milk diet, I found it fairly easy tbh, I agree with @Sarnie if you don’t eat meat the sleeve may be better because of the high protein requirements post op, my surgeon wouldn’t decide either he said he would book me in for one but I could decide on the day, this was taken out of my hand though following a gastroscope as he found a hernia and I suffered from reflux too so a bypass it was, lots of research for you I’m afraid, good luck xx

MariaMaria83

Hello! I’ve not been on here for what seems like an AGE but popped on and by chance stumbled upon your thread.
I had my operation at Homerton in April and they do work fast, I was 7 months from my first appointment, would’ve been quicker but I had a change of surgeon after I’d signed my consent and a cancelled op.
What are you waiting on now? Pre-op? Have you had your Preparing for Surgery group session?
Homerton really are so good! The aftercare has been amazing! I had a surgeon appointment on Friday and I already have my next appointment letter for 6 months time! x

deedee_

Hello! I’ve not been on here for what seems like an AGE but popped on and by chance stumbled upon your thread.
I had my operation at Homerton in April and they do work fast, I was 7 months from my first appointment, would’ve been quicker but I had a change of surgeon after I’d signed my consent and a cancelled op.
What are you waiting on now? Pre-op? Have you had your Preparing for Surgery group session?
Homerton really are so good! The aftercare has been amazing! I had a surgeon appointment on Friday and I already have my next appointment letter for 6 months time! x
hiya! thank you for replying :)

which op did you go for? who was your surgeon?

i actually didn’t end up signing anything in my consent meeting?! i asked the surgeon next steps and he said it was to wait for op date - but assume my pre op and seminar will come prior to that. i think he’s on leave during march so i think my wait will begin now - which i’m ok with! it was so easy and quick to this stage (11 weeks i think!!)

have you joined the homerton fb group? x

MariaMaria83

Hi sorry, I didn’t get an alert to say you’d replied? I went for the bypass, purely because I wanted dumping as sweets/choc were my downfall and dumping would mean I couldn’t eat them....Im one of the ones who don’t dump unfortunately for me! My surgeon is Mr Loy, he’s been great, so nice.
Oh? Strange that you didn’t sign any consent forms? You’ll need to do that before your op, I’m pretty sure that’s standard across the board tho.
Yea you’ll defo need to have ur pre op and group meeting prior too.
This does seem like the longest part, I just kept calling every week, I couldn’t wait for them to call me 😂. I have some numbers for the people who I called when I was getting REALLY impatient.
No I didn’t join any Homerton groups, have you? x

Lalapo

Hi I had the Sleeve in Nov 2019. I was 19.2 now week 22 I weigh 14.0!
I opted for sleeve as it gives me small pouch but it doesn’t change the body functioning like bypass does.
My hospital room buddy had the bypass. Both of us making same progress but she has dumping bad. She can’t eat anything ready made with sugar in it. Where I eat chocolate etc. Post Sleeve - it is a tool. You have to diet with it. You can put on weight if you eat wrong food.
so you need to decide what you want. If you can’t control your chocolate habit, I will say sleeve will be a struggle.
Keep me posted x

Bling Babe

Well I didn’t expect to be writing an update any time soon given the circumstances.

I got the call today.

With a date! At the end of August. Holy moly now what do I do?!?!?
Yay that’s great news, how long will you be on the LRD ? X

deedee_

Yay that’s great news, how long will you be on the LRD ? X
thank you! i still haven’t decided on bypass or sleeve yet. argh! i think i’ll have to do 4 weeks LRD but i have my nurse phone appointment on wednesday morning to find out all the details. im
so so terrified!

Kev_h

It’s a scary but exciting moment, isn’t it? All of a sudden, it’s all become real and you know it is actually happening... Just like everything else on this journey though, just take it one day at a time. The next month will sometimes drag whilst also disappearing in the blink of an eye. It is a very surreal experience. Keep your eye on the prize and you’ll get through it.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it many more times but this op was the best thing I ever did for myself. My one and only regret is that I didn’t have it done sooner. I had a relatively easy ride through it all but even the bad sides I did have weren’t that bad. A bit of nausea which I tracked down to some tablets I was taking on an empty stomach, and a belly that felt as though I’d done too many sit ups the night before that lasted about a week. But more than worth it when you see the scales going down and your clothes start getting really baggy!

Anyway, congratulations on your date. Keep your eyes on the prize and go for it. Keep us all up to date on here and any questions... Well, you know where we are! Take care and good luck.

deedee_

It’s a scary but exciting moment, isn’t it? All of a sudden, it’s all become real and you know it is actually happening... Just like everything else on this journey though, just take it one day at a time. The next month will sometimes drag whilst also disappearing in the blink of an eye. It is a very surreal experience. Keep your eye on the prize and you’ll get through it.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it many more times but this op was the best thing I ever did for myself. My one and only regret is that I didn’t have it done sooner. I had a relatively easy ride through it all but even the bad sides I did have weren’t that bad. A bit of nausea which I tracked down to some tablets I was taking on an empty stomach, and a belly that felt as though I’d done too many sit ups the night before that lasted about a week. But more than worth it when you see the scales going down and your clothes start getting really baggy!

Anyway, congratulations on your date. Keep your eyes on the prize and go for it. Keep us all up to date on here and any questions... Well, you know where we are! Take care and good luck.
thank you for your lovely comment! how are you doing?

started the LRD diet today and not sure how i’m going to hack this for 4 whole weeks but i WILL! just about managed the milk today but can’t seem to stomach the salty drink. i’ve tried marmite and hot water and an oxo and just can’t get it down 🤢.

any advice or tips?

tomorrow is a new day!

Kev_h

I’m doing great thanks, still struggling to lose since lockdown began but I’ve cut out pretty much all carbs so I’ll see what the scales say tomorrow.

Eyes on the prize and one day at a time. In a lot of ways, the milk diet gets easier as you really don’t need to think about it at all. ‘What should I have for dinner today? I think I’ll have a pint of milk...’ Also, when you get used to it, you’ll find it does fill you up quite nicely. Make sure you top up with water between pints though. You’ll be constantly going to the bathroom but look on it as flushing away the pounds. It helps...

Unfortunately, I rather enjoyed my salty drink when I had it on my trial run milk diet so I’m not much use to you there. For my actual lsd though, I was on 3 slim fasts and 2 small pieces of fruit a day. No salty drinks as far as I remember but I did get to chew twice a day so that was nice. Some people used to add their Bovril etc to some of their milk to make a kind of soup but I didn’t like that at all. I just took it as an evening drink in a mug with water and quite looked forward to it as it was something different.

You’ll probably find yourself clock watching until your next pint but keep some water next to you at all times and drink it whenever pangs strike.

Its not forever, it’s just for a few weeks. You can do this for a few weeks, can’t you? Set yourself some goals for what you want to do when you’ve lost some weight. Things that you will be doing in just a few months time. That is the prize you are aiming for! You are almost there! Just the pesky milk diet to get through.

You’ll be fine @deedee_ just keep on swimming! :cool:

Bling Babe

thank you for your lovely comment! how are you doing?

started the LRD diet today and not sure how i’m going to hack this for 4 whole weeks but i WILL! just about managed the milk today but can’t seem to stomach the salty drink. i’ve tried marmite and hot water and an oxo and just can’t get it down 🤢.

any advice or tips?

tomorrow is a new day!
I put a chicken OXO in hot milk, I know it sounds gross but it was blooming lovely just like a thin chicken soup, try it you have nothing to lose, let me know how you get on x

OkieGirl

When I got my letter confirming the date of my surgery I burst into tears. After nearly 2 years of working towards that point and feeling like it never would arrive I finally had proof that it was definitely going to happen!

What BlingBabe said about the chicken OXO in milk is spot on. It's like a really milky cream of chicken and is quite nice.

deedee_

Thought I’d do a little update. Im over half way through the 4 week LRD. Im doing milk and doing fine - I’ve been adding crusha and sugar free, calorie free syrups which help a lot.

I lost 7lbs in my first week before I met the surgeon. He said he expects me to lose another stone and a half before surgery - I’ve now lost 14lb so still have at least 12lb to go to meet his target.

Im nervous because for the past 4 days I’ve just fluctuated the same 1lb going up and down and I don’t know why. I haven’t cheated once, and I’m trying to move as much as I can but it’s difficult because I have to self isolate. (and it’s so hot!!)

I have 11 days left until surgery and I’m so scared they’ll turn me away if I don’t lose these 12lb :(

Everyone says the LRD isn’t about losing weight which I’m clinging onto, but my surgeons words are constantly ringing in my ears about what he expects.

Any advice would be welcome x

Kev_h

All of those fears and worries are completely normal! We have all had them. That overwhelming fear that you are going to be refused at the last minute and sent home in disgrace... It is that fear that makes sure you stick to the milk diet. Listen to your surgeons words again, he ‘expects’ you to lose another stone and a half. It isn’t a target to aim for, it is an expected loss. Everybody is different and ‘Every Body’ is different. Just stick to the plan and you’ll be fine.

This milk diet is there to shrink your liver so they can lift it up easier during the operation. Any other weight loss is just an added bonus. My own fear was that they’d cut me open, take a look at my liver and decide it wasn’t small enough and send me home again...

I will also never forget that sigh of relief though when I stepped on the scales on op day and the nurse just said, ‘Well that’s fine!’ So believe me when I say that I really do understand.

Stick to the diet, repack your bag numerous times, drink plenty of water and plan your next hill climb because this time next year, you’ll be ready for it! Good luck with everything.

Oh, and the fear about the surgery not working for you is pretty common as well. As someone who has just come out of a 3 month long stall, I can tell you that as long as you follow the plan, you will lose weight. To start with, it will just drop off you but later on, you will still need to watch what you eat and plan ahead. It is nowhere near as hard as it was pre surgery though. I believe my stall was caused by adding too many carbs too early, carbs are not my friend at the moment. I went back onto a high protein diet and I’ve started losing again. I’m a year post surgery next month and I’m still losing so it’s definitely not a quick fix but I have pretty consistently lost weight all the way through apart from in the above stall. I’ve said it before and I’m sure you’ll hear it again but, stick with the plan and you’ll be fine. :cool: :cool:

deedee_

All of those fears and worries are completely normal! We have all had them. That overwhelming fear that you are going to be refused at the last minute and sent home in disgrace... It is that fear that makes sure you stick to the milk diet. Listen to your surgeons words again, he ‘expects’ you to lose another stone and a half. It isn’t a target to aim for, it is an expected loss. Everybody is different and ‘Every Body’ is different. Just stick to the plan and you’ll be fine.

This milk diet is there to shrink your liver so they can lift it up easier during the operation. Any other weight loss is just an added bonus. My own fear was that they’d cut me open, take a look at my liver and decide it wasn’t small enough and send me home again...

I will also never forget that sigh of relief though when I stepped on the scales on op day and the nurse just said, ‘Well that’s fine!’ So believe me when I say that I really do understand.

Stick to the diet, repack your bag numerous times, drink plenty of water and plan your next hill climb because this time next year, you’ll be ready for it! Good luck with everything.

Oh, and the fear about the surgery not working for you is pretty common as well. As someone who has just come out of a 3 month long stall, I can tell you that as long as you follow the plan, you will lose weight. To start with, it will just drop off you but later on, you will still need to watch what you eat and plan ahead. It is nowhere near as hard as it was pre surgery though. I believe my stall was caused by adding too many carbs too early, carbs are not my friend at the moment. I went back onto a high protein diet and I’ve started losing again. I’m a year post surgery next month and I’m still losing so it’s definitely not a quick fix but I have pretty consistently lost weight all the way through apart from in the above stall. I’ve said it before and I’m sure you’ll hear it again but, stick with the plan and you’ll be fine. :cool: :cool:
thank you for replying! it’s reassuring to hear and know that i’m not the only one with these worries or concerns.

a whole year! you’ve done so well. i guess it’s trial and error at this point for you but sounds like you’re in control. i hope i get to where you are! x

Bling Babe

Everything @Kev_h says it right, you will be absolutely fine, although in my opinion 2 and a half years post bypass it is just as hard as pre surgery, The first year is a breeze but this past year has been incredibly hard for me to maintain and I have in fact gained a stone and a half although I had lost too much up to then so I’m trying to lose 1 stone of that and I can’t lie...it’s bl@@%y hard.
please don’t think I’m trying to put you off, you will be fine it’s just not a magic wand, far from it.
keep in touch x

deedee_

Everything @Kev_h says it right, you will be absolutely fine, although in my opinion 2 and a half years post bypass it is just as hard as pre surgery, The first year is a breeze but this past year has been incredibly hard for me to maintain and I have in fact gained a stone and a half although I had lost too much up to then so I’m trying to lose 1 stone of that and I can’t lie...it’s bl@@%y hard.
please don’t think I’m trying to put you off, you will be fine it’s just not a magic wand, far from it.
keep in touch x
thank you. i’m ready for it! well as ready as i possibly could be. it’s definitely hard to think that far out, especially when i’m still worrying it won’t actually happen for me!
i can only imagine it’s hard for you, battling with the 1 stone but i am very much looking forward to that being my problem! 😂 fingers crossed anyway!!x