• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hoping to start my journey

deedee_

Hi everyone

I’ve been reading around for a little while and have found everything posted so helpful, so wanted to say hello and thank you!

So far my journey has started with just a phone call to my GP, she wasn’t sure on the requirements to refer me and if I’d need to do a tier 3 or not. We both did a bit of research and because my BMI is 50 we think I can be referred right away without tier 3?

Anyway she was happy to send my referral right away and I’m now waiting to hear from Homerton - a bit unclear if my referral was accepted or not as I’m yet to hear anything! It was sent on 12 Sept so hoping I find out soon enough.

In the meantime I’m probably going to start a tier 3 at the end of October anyway - where I live it’s an hour of exercise with a trainer and an hour lesson on nutrition etc. also means I get free gym membership which sounds great.

I’ve struggled with my weight all my life but I’m hoping this is my route to a happier healthier life. I started ww online a few weeks ago and have lost almost a stone so far.

Anyway, hi! Any advice or tips will be most welcome.

deedee_

Not sure if this site gets much interaction now but thought I’d update anyway to say I emailed and got a response from Kingsley who said my referral was accepted!

I’m booked in for two appointments in early Dec (seems forever away). Does anyone know what these will be?

deedee_

It’s a bit lonely on here, huh! Going to keep posting, if anything hopefully this might help someone in the future.

Did a bit more research into the gym referral and I’m pretty sure that’s a tier 2. After a bit of digging it seems Hackney and City don’t offer a tier 3 so my referral went straight to the bariatric team at Homerton. Still don’t have my letters through but do have an email saying my referral was accepted and the date of my appts.

Currently debating if I should go ahead with the tier 2 anyway - sounds daft but I’m nervous about losing too much before my first appt in Dec!

Totally fascinating how once you embark this journey it totally consumes you with wanting to know everything. Trying and failing to find some UK youtubers which I think I’d find so helpful!

Have also created a FB page to join the group - hopefully I’ll be accepted. :)

deedee_

Received my letters today! It says I’ll be under Ms Sara Ajaz, searched the forum and can’t find much about her!

Bit confused about the questionnaire, have no idea how many flights of stairs or meters I can walk without resting!!

Sarnie

It’s a bit lonely on here, huh! Going to keep posting, if anything hopefully this might help someone in the future.

Did a bit more research into the gym referral and I’m pretty sure that’s a tier 2. After a bit of digging it seems Hackney and City don’t offer a tier 3 so my referral went straight to the bariatric team at Homerton. Still don’t have my letters through but do have an email saying my referral was accepted and the date of my appts.

Currently debating if I should go ahead with the tier 2 anyway - sounds daft but I’m nervous about losing too much before my first appt in Dec!

Totally fascinating how once you embark this journey it totally consumes you with wanting to know everything. Trying and failing to find some UK youtubers which I think I’d find so helpful!

Have also created a FB page to join the group - hopefully I’ll be accepted. :)
Hi and welcome, try not to lose too much or go before the BMI criteria as you may not be accepted. I was just reading another recent post where the lady was told she had lost too much weight and got declined. It depends on what your starting weight /BMI is now.

Sarnie

Received my letters today! It says I’ll be under Ms Sara Ajaz, searched the forum and can’t find much about her!

Bit confused about the questionnaire, have no idea how many flights of stairs or meters I can walk without resting!!
Can you comfortably walk up the stairs or do you struggle. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs I practically had to crawl back then, I can walk up them now though 😊

deedee_

Can you comfortably walk up the stairs or do you struggle. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs I practically had to crawl back then, I can walk up them now though

Thank you for your reply! Oh wow that's what I'm afraid of being rejected. I mean there's no chance I'll get to a healthy BMI anytime soon but I'm not sure now about being so dedicated to losing in the next 2 months.

Yeah I can manage a couple flights of stairs - bit out of breath after a while but they're doable at the moment.

How are you doing? :)

Bling Babe

Hiya,
Sorry I haven’t responded sooner for me all your posts have only appeared today under “new posts” which I check almost daily, congratulations on being accepted, I don’t know anything about homerton so cannot comment on them.
Which surgery would you like to have? I agree not to lose too much before your first appointment.
A lot of our dairies are in the bronze section of this site and you need 100 posts to access those so keep on posting, in the meantime there is, as you’ve mentioned lots and lots of useful advice, help and support available so keep on ploughing through what you can.
The best advice is research research research and research more because it really is a life changing decision and definitely NOT the easy option but it’s worth everything for the fitter, healthier life.
Keep in touch xx

deedee_

Hiya,
Sorry I haven’t responded sooner for me all your posts have only appeared today under “new posts” which I check almost daily, congratulations on being accepted, I don’t know anything about homerton so cannot comment on them.
Which surgery would you like to have? I agree not to lose too much before your first appointment.
A lot of our dairies are in the bronze section of this site and you need 100 posts to access those so keep on posting, in the meantime there is, as you’ve mentioned lots and lots of useful advice, help and support available so keep on ploughing through what you can.
The best advice is research research research and research more because it really is a life changing decision and definitely NOT the easy option but it’s worth everything for the fitter, healthier life.
Keep in touch xx
Thank you! I’ve read a load of your posts and you’re very helpful so thank you for that. It’s very overwhelming when you’re at the beginning! I’ll try to keep posting :)
At first I was thinking sleeve because it seemed less invasive but the more I research and learn more the bypass seems appealing. I’ve never had surgery before at all so I’m nervous about that aspect, but guess I have a long way to go before then anyway! Thanks for the advice with not losing too much x

Bling Babe

Thank you! I’ve read a load of your posts and you’re very helpful so thank you for that. It’s very overwhelming when you’re at the beginning! I’ll try to keep posting :)
At first I was thinking sleeve because it seemed less invasive but the more I research and learn more the bypass seems appealing. I’ve never had surgery before at all so I’m nervous about that aspect, but guess I have a long way to go before then anyway! Thanks for the advice with not losing too much x
Aw thank you, don’t worry about the nerves, it’s perfectly normal. It seems a long time but it will fly by, I was 22 months start to finish and it consumed my life but so very worth it x

Sarnie

Thank you for your reply! Oh wow that's what I'm afraid of being rejected. I mean there's no chance I'll get to a healthy BMI anytime soon but I'm not sure now about being so dedicated to losing in the next 2 months.

Yeah I can manage a couple flights of stairs - bit out of breath after a while but they're doable at the moment.

How are you doing? :)
Have you been asked to lose weight yet? I know you to want to, but I mean has your doctor or Homerton told you that you need to lose a certain amount prior to your appointment? x

deedee_

Have you been asked to lose weight yet? I know you to want to, but I mean has your doctor or Homerton told you that you need to lose a certain amount prior to your appointment? x

Hiya - no, one one has asked me to lose any yet. I guess I just feel a pressure that I should be? (more so than normal anyway if that make sense?)

Parsnip

Hi and welcome, I would have greeted you sooner but I've been a bit all over the place recently. I'm a relative newbie to the bench (11 weeks post op on weds). I had the bypass and have had a straightforward recovery as far a the physical is concerned. Mentally... Well that's been a challenge but moreso from external factors rather than being related to the op.
The site is definitely slower these days but as @Bling Babe said, a few of us post more in the bronze section as it's restricted.

deedee_

Hi and welcome, I would have greeted you sooner but I've been a bit all over the place recently. I'm a relative newbie to the bench (11 weeks post op on weds). I had the bypass and have had a straightforward recovery as far a the physical is concerned. Mentally... Well that's been a challenge but moreso from external factors rather than being related to the op.
The site is definitely slower these days but as @Bling Babe said, a few of us post more in the bronze section as it's restricted.
Hi! Congrats on your surgery :) how was your journey to that point if you don’t mind me asking?

I’ll keep trying to post so I can come to the bronze section!

Hope your recovery is going well and the external factors sort themselves out soon :)

Parsnip

Hi! Congrats on your surgery :) how was your journey to that point if you don’t mind me asking?

I’ll keep trying to post so I can come to the bronze section!

Hope your recovery is going well and the external factors sort themselves out soon :)

My journey to get the surgery was... Eventful lol. The short version... I was referred by my GP in Nov 2016, got my first appointment through for the April but in Feb I'd found out I was expecting a very surprising baby number four, in the March I found out my dad had terminal cancer but the hospital said to keep he appointment. At the appointment we agreed to basically pause my journey and return in a year to give me time for the pregnancy and a bit of time to recover. So April 2018 I was back on the journey. Dad still with us and doing remarkably well. It was decided that due to breastfeeding we wouldn't be in a rush and I'd kinda lead the pace as I knew I wanted to breastfeed until at least a year.
I went through all the tests like sleep apnoea test, ECG, USS for liver and gallbladder, met with psychologist and nutritionist. Obviously I had to lose more than 5% which I did and we decided to take my case to the trust's November MDT where I was referred through tier for where I had to attend two education sessions and met with the surgeon in the April, got my date a week later which was for July. In regards to my dad, he'd miraculously been given the all clear just before Christmas but by the time my op had come around he'd taken a turn and in just after my op we found out the cancer had returned super aggressively and there was nothing they could do, it was just a case of making him comfortable, giving him weeks maybe months so we rushed to move him into my house so I could care for him (big decision, especially with four kids in a three bed house so soon after op but it's my dad). Well we finally got him moved in on the 22nd August but he sadly passed on the 27th so between arranging funerals etc and grieving on top of generally managing post op life with four young kids... Well, if I can manage to get through this, anyone can x

deedee_

My journey to get the surgery was... Eventful lol. The short version... I was referred by my GP in Nov 2016, got my first appointment through for the April but in Feb I'd found out I was expecting a very surprising baby number four, in the March I found out my dad had terminal cancer but the hospital said to keep he appointment. At the appointment we agreed to basically pause my journey and return in a year to give me time for the pregnancy and a bit of time to recover. So April 2018 I was back on the journey. Dad still with us and doing remarkably well. It was decided that due to breastfeeding we wouldn't be in a rush and I'd kinda lead the pace as I knew I wanted to breastfeed until at least a year.
I went through all the tests like sleep apnoea test, ECG, USS for liver and gallbladder, met with psychologist and nutritionist. Obviously I had to lose more than 5% which I did and we decided to take my case to the trust's November MDT where I was referred through tier for where I had to attend two education sessions and met with the surgeon in the April, got my date a week later which was for July. In regards to my dad, he'd miraculously been given the all clear just before Christmas but by the time my op had come around he'd taken a turn and in just after my op we found out the cancer had returned super aggressively and there was nothing they could do, it was just a case of making him comfortable, giving him weeks maybe months so we rushed to move him into my house so I could care for him (big decision, especially with four kids in a three bed house so soon after op but it's my dad). Well we finally got him moved in on the 22nd August but he sadly passed on the 27th so between arranging funerals etc and grieving on top of generally managing post op life with four young kids... Well, if I can manage to get through this, anyone can x
Oh my goodness, you've been through so much you poor thing. So sorry to hear about your dad. It's tough - my dad has been poorly for a long time (was cancer now kidney failure due to cancer treatments) so I understand the panic and fear you would have gone through. I hope you're doing as well as you can be and taking care of yourself as much as you can. x

deedee_

8 weeks until my first appointment, eek! Hoping it comes around quick - have rang to see if they had any cancellations but apparently there's a waiting list for this appointment so unlikely I'll get anything sooner. Not sure if I should keep trying or not though!

Wondering if anyone has any experience or advice - just filling out the questionnaire you have to complete before your first appointment (side note: do I really have to tick that I've had a headache and runny nose at some point in my life?) and I've had a hernia before so wondering if that will automatically mean I'll have to have another endoscopy and if it impacts which surgery they'll give me?

Bling Babe

8 weeks until my first appointment, eek! Hoping it comes around quick - have rang to see if they had any cancellations but apparently there's a waiting list for this appointment so unlikely I'll get anything sooner. Not sure if I should keep trying or not though!

Wondering if anyone has any experience or advice - just filling out the questionnaire you have to complete before your first appointment (side note: do I really have to tick that I've had a headache and runny nose at some point in my life?) and I've had a hernia before so wondering if that will automatically mean I'll have to have another endoscopy and if it impacts which surgery they'll give me?
I’m afraid you probably will need a gastoscopy?spelling because it could impact on which surgery you have, I had to have one and they found a hernia which was repaired at the same time as my wls, if you suffer from acid reflux you are likely to be recommended the bypass rather than a sleeve x

deedee_

I’m afraid you probably will need a gastoscopy?spelling because it could impact on which surgery you have, I had to have one and they found a hernia which was repaired at the same time as my wls, if you suffer from acid reflux you are likely to be recommended the bypass rather than a sleeve x
I suffered terribly with a hiatus hernia about 8 years ago but it healed on its own (I assume anyway, because the pain went away eventually lol) so I just wonder if it makes me more susceptible to hernias/reflux in the future especially with wls. I haven't suffered with reflux or anything at all though so I'm not sure what will happen - have a feeling it'll go towards bypass from what I'm starting to understand!

deedee_

My husband's working past midnight for the past couple of weeks so I have a lot of spare time on my hands and this is all I seem to be thinking about! My thought today is considering trying the liver shrinking diet for a week or so - but is that a dumb thing to do before I've even had my first appointment?!