• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hoping to start my journey

Parsnip

My husband's working past midnight for the past couple of weeks so I have a lot of spare time on my hands and this is all I seem to be thinking about! My thought today is considering trying the liver shrinking diet for a week or so - but is that a dumb thing to do before I've even had my first appointment?!
It's not dumb, most people trial it as part of their tier 3 but I would possibly wait until you get the all clear to try it from your team (just because I don't know your medical history and I'm don't have a PhD), this said, it's your call, just be responsible and if you do decide to trial it, make sure you a) keep hydrated, b) take multivitamins and c) make sure you let your team know you've had a go.
The waiting is definitely the hardest part of this journey as after you've finally bit he bullet to make the change, it's all you think about. Just know that the time flies by and before you know it, you'll be anxious about your imminent surgery. If you have free time I would use it for research. I highly recommend the book Living with Bariatric Surgery by Denise Ratcliffe. I read it pre op and my trust have even started recommending it to people considering surgery x

deedee_

It's not dumb, most people trial it as part of their tier 3 but I would possibly wait until you get the all clear to try it from your team (just because I don't know your medical history and I'm don't have a PhD), this said, it's your call, just be responsible and if you do decide to trial it, make sure you a) keep hydrated, b) take multivitamins and c) make sure you let your team know you've had a go.
The waiting is definitely the hardest part of this journey as after you've finally bit he bullet to make the change, it's all you think about. Just know that the time flies by and before you know it, you'll be anxious about your imminent surgery. If you have free time I would use it for research. I highly recommend the book Living with Bariatric Surgery by Denise Ratcliffe. I read it pre op and my trust have even started recommending it to people considering surgery x
There isn't a tier 3 in my area but I guess I'll have a load of time to do my research! I've already started on the vitamins to get used to taking more pills every day :) - thanks for the advice, I don't have any medical problems so sure I'd be fine to do it.. I think I'll wait until after my appointment though and use it as an opportunity to lose towards the goal they'll set me. Going to go look for the book on Amazon right now! Thank you! x

Bling Babe

My husband's working past midnight for the past couple of weeks so I have a lot of spare time on my hands and this is all I seem to be thinking about! My thought today is considering trying the liver shrinking diet for a week or so - but is that a dumb thing to do before I've even had my first appointment?!
I don’t think it’s a dumb idea, it’ll be good for you to know what to expect x

deedee_

Still here and waiting for my first appointment! About a month to go now but I’ve lost all my determination with dieting this week. Think it’s a mix of the dark nights and feeling a bit down. Also found out one of my husbands friends is going private in January and I feel weirdly jealous and annoyed even though I know it’s absolutely not justified. Can’t seem to help it though.

Been thinking about my other options with self funding but feel very anxious about going abroad in case something was to go wrong. Would have to get finance to stay in the UK which I could do and pay back monthly. But then I’m also about to start a new job so I just don’t know what to do!

Ah well I feel better for getting it off my chest anyway!

Bling Babe

Tough times for you, I think it’s only natural to feel a bit envi in these situation, how did you get n trailing the milk diet ? Xx

deedee_

Tough times for you, I think it’s only natural to feel a bit envi in these situation, how did you get n trailing the milk diet ? Xx
Haven’t tried it yet. Fell a bit off the wagon and put a few lbs back on - annoying as I was doing well but not surprising! Took a bit of a step back because I was getting too obsessed and it was overwhelming.

First appointment is now only a week away though so I know I’ll definitely find my motivation after that because it’ll make it feel more real.

Question - I know it’s probs different everywhere but when do you find out what other appointments you’re going to be put forward for? like physio, psychology etc. will I find out at my first appointment?

Bling Babe

Haven’t tried it yet. Fell a bit off the wagon and put a few lbs back on - annoying as I was doing well but not surprising! Took a bit of a step back because I was getting too obsessed and it was overwhelming.

First appointment is now only a week away though so I know I’ll definitely find my motivation after that because it’ll make it feel more real.

Question - I know it’s probs different everywhere but when do you find out what other appointments you’re going to be put forward for? like physio, psychology etc. will I find out at my first appointment?
Your right all hospital’s are differen, you just have to be patient x

deedee_

Had my first appointment today! Started with height, weight and blood pressure being taken and then met a lovely dietician. We talked through my form I filled out, eating habits, what I’ve tried before etc. She gave me a 5% target, but said it can go off my referral weight so I only have to lose about 7lbs because I’d already been losing - which is amazing!!

Then went for bloods and ECG which were fine. Suppose I’ll have to get used to being vulnerable and half naked!

Then had the group session which was good - didn’t learn much new since I‘ve been researching myself so much but was still good to hear it all from a professional. After that I met my surgeon who asked me the same questions as the dietician really and asked if I had a preference between bypass or sleeve which I’m not sure about yet. Shes referred me for an endoscopy because I have had a hernia in the past so she wants to see what’s going on there but other than that she doesn’t think I need any further assessments or treatments at the moment.

So my next steps are to wait for the endoscopy appointment, lose 7lbs and then my case goes to MDT which all seems like a very smooth journey... Fingers crossed anyway. (!)

Parsnip

Had my first appointment today! Started with height, weight and blood pressure being taken and then met a lovely dietician. We talked through my form I filled out, eating habits, what I’ve tried before etc. She gave me a 5% target, but said it can go off my referral weight so I only have to lose about 7lbs because I’d already been losing - which is amazing!!

Then went for bloods and ECG which were fine. Suppose I’ll have to get used to being vulnerable and half naked!

Then had the group session which was good - didn’t learn much new since I‘ve been researching myself so much but was still good to hear it all from a professional. After that I met my surgeon who asked me the same questions as the dietician really and asked if I had a preference between bypass or sleeve which I’m not sure about yet. Shes referred me for an endoscopy because I have had a hernia in the past so she wants to see what’s going on there but other than that she doesn’t think I need any further assessments or treatments at the moment.

So my next steps are to wait for the endoscopy appointment, lose 7lbs and then my case goes to MDT which all seems like a very smooth journey... Fingers crossed anyway. (!)
All sounding very positive xx

Bling Babe

Sounds like a great positive appointment xx

Sarnie

Wow that is fast work, you had more done in a day than most, it took me best part of a year with many appointments to get all that done at Luton lol x

deedee_

Still waiting for my endoscopy appointment and trying to get in the zone for losing the target weight! Put a bit on over Christmas but hoping to lose it quickly.

Had a text from my GP that the bloods I had taken at my first hospital appointment showed I was low in vitamin D so about to start a booster dose of that to hopefully fix it asap!

deedee_

Endoscopy on Saturday aghhh little be nervous. I remember the scratching feeling and burping from the last time I had one, not looking forward to it!

Keeping losing and gaining the same few lbs which is annoying too. I will get these lbs off!!

deedee_

Had my endoscopy today. It was a lot worse than I remembered from the last time I had one, granted that was about 10 years ago. Ugh, gross. But it’s done. Do still have a hiatus hernia which is 2cm. Not sure what that means in relation to WLS but sure I’ll find out soon enough!

deedee_

Update! Had a call from hospital to say I’ve been cleared for surgery and was offered a consent appointment end of Feb which I obviously took.

I’m so shocked that I haven’t been put forward for any other appointments. I’m 2lbs away from my target 5% so going to try and get that off NOW! Can anyone share what happens at the consent appointment and what the next stage is please? I wasn’t sure I’d get to this point so I’m at a loss!

Sarnie

Thank you for your reply! Oh wow that's what I'm afraid of being rejected. I mean there's no chance I'll get to a healthy BMI anytime soon but I'm not sure now about being so dedicated to losing in the next 2 months.

Yeah I can manage a couple flights of stairs - bit out of breath after a while but they're doable at the moment.

How are you doing? :)
Hi only just seeing your posts hun. How's things going for you?
I'm doing good 14 stone gone since the start, I lost 9st before surgery last April. X

Sarnie

Had my endoscopy today. It was a lot worse than I remembered from the last time I had one, granted that was about 10 years ago. Ugh, gross. But it’s done. Do still have a hiatus hernia which is 2cm. Not sure what that means in relation to WLS but sure I’ll find out soon enough!
I had two hernias repaired when they did my bypass, one was a hiatus that I didn't even know I had!

Sarnie

Update! Had a call from hospital to say I’ve been cleared for surgery and was offered a consent appointment end of Feb which I obviously took.

I’m so shocked that I haven’t been put forward for any other appointments. I’m 2lbs away from my target 5% so going to try and get that off NOW! Can anyone share what happens at the consent appointment and what the next stage is please? I wasn’t sure I’d get to this point so I’m at a loss!
Congratulations, every hospital and surgeon works differently so it's hard to say really. I didn't hand a consent appointment. What happened with me was I had a surgeons appointment, didn't have a clue what would happen, but he gave me a date for only 2 weeks later and I had to sign consent forms then and they had to give me my pre op there and then because it was so quick, let me tell you I was in shock lol.

deedee_

Hi only just seeing your posts hun. How's things going for you?
I'm doing good 14 stone gone since the start, I lost 9st before surgery last April. X
Hiya! Wow you’ve done so well!

So I had my surgeon appointment today - he basically wheeled off a load of risks and talked me through all the potential complications which is terrifying to hear.

I tried to ask him which he’d recommend for me but he wasn’t having any of making that decision. I don’t eat meat so he said maybe sleeve would be best but if I have a hernia and he can’t do it, then a bypass. So I don’t know. He said he’ll book me in for a bypass slot and I can decide on the day which is scary!!

How did everyone decide which is best for them? I don’t have any health issues or anything which suggests one operation is better over the other so I’m finding it really difficult.

Asked next steps - thinking Id need more appointments because I’ve only had the one initial appointment in December and he said I’ll get my date in the post?! I feel like I’ve missed something after researching and seeing how long people usually wait to get to this point so I don’t want to get too ahead of myself in case something comes up?

Will have to do the LRD for 4 weeks when the time comes though :(

Sarnie

Hiya! Wow you’ve done so well!

So I had my surgeon appointment today - he basically wheeled off a load of risks and talked me through all the potential complications which is terrifying to hear.

I tried to ask him which he’d recommend for me but he wasn’t having any of making that decision. I don’t eat meat so he said maybe sleeve would be best but if I have a hernia and he can’t do it, then a bypass. So I don’t know. He said he’ll book me in for a bypass slot and I can decide on the day which is scary!!

How did everyone decide which is best for them? I don’t have any health issues or anything which suggests one operation is better over the other so I’m finding it really difficult.

Asked next steps - thinking Id need more appointments because I’ve only had the one initial appointment in December and he said I’ll get my date in the post?! I feel like I’ve missed something after researching and seeing how long people usually wait to get to this point so I don’t want to get too ahead of myself in case something comes up?

Will have to do the LRD for 4 weeks when the time comes though :(
It does seem strange to have one or two appointments and then get a date, it's this private or NHS? If you hand acid reflux, the sleeve generally will make that worse, in that case bypass would be better. I'm surprised he didn't recommend what he thought would be best for you, they normally do.
If you don't eat meat, you might be better with the sleeve if you've not got acid relux, because you get malabsorbtion with the bypass and you need lots of protein. You really do need to do lots of research, look online at the pros and cons of all the different types of surgeries, they're is also the mini gastric bypass as well.
Only your team can say what LRD you'll do if any, no one here would know for sure, they are all so different. X