• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hoping to start my journey

deedee_

Thought I'd do an update :) I'm one week post op!!

I somehow ended up super lucky and my surgery took place in a private hospital instead of homerton. I was so grateful for the private room, air con and en-suite! The care was fantastic, though I suspect it would have been at homerton too. I stayed in hospital one night, and not gonna lie the first day/night was rough. I don't remember a lot, but the anaesthetic hit me hard!

I tried getting out of bed and ended up almost asleep in the chair but managed to wee and move around the room a little. I was sick a few times in the night, which I was told was the anaesthetic - it was gross and black. Pain the first night was uncomfortable and not very nice but I think it was mainly just me taking a while to pull round.

Next morning I felt mostly fine! Walked around loads, did stairs with the physio's no problem. Didn't have any gas pain, just uncomfortableness and like there were stones in my belly. Was sick once or twice more but nothing more since then. :)

This week has been fine, I'm managing to drink everything - milk, coffee, water, juice, soup. It's all going down surprisingly well, I can manage most of the amount my plan dictates. But, I can easily forget. Bit worried how easy it goes down, more than anything tbh but the nurse seems pleased that I'm doing well.

I stupidly weighed myself 3 days post op and GAINED 8lbs!! that was a kicker. Weighed myself today though (week out) and I lost those 8lbs and an additional 7lbs which I'm happy with. Total loss since LRD is 1 stone 13lbs.

That's me on liquids for another 2 weeks, but looking forward to puree already!

Can't believe I'm actually writing this update to be honest. My first appointment was only 8 months ago, and here I am! So grateful for the NHS and being given this chance.

Kev_h

So good to read your update and I am over the moon for you. I didn’t suffer from sickness at all apart from a reaction to some tablets I had on an empty stomach but it sounds gross!
Liquids will go down quite easily and you may not feel full for a while but stick to the amounts prescribed and you’ll be fine. The full feeling will come later when you are on the solid foods. Trust me on that one...

Weight gain just after the op is also normal, it’s mainly to do with swelling I believe. As you found out though, it soon goes down again. Time will fly and you’ll soon be experimenting with different tastes and textures of food. Things will have changed so take it slowly and don’t forget to sip that water.
Btw, what op did you have in the end?
Welcome to the losers bench, I hope you enjoy your time here! Take it easy, follow the plan and sip that water. You’ll soon settle in to your new routine. ;-)

deedee_

So good to read your update and I am over the moon for you. I didn’t suffer from sickness at all apart from a reaction to some tablets I had on an empty stomach but it sounds gross!
Liquids will go down quite easily and you may not feel full for a while but stick to the amounts prescribed and you’ll be fine. The full feeling will come later when you are on the solid foods. Trust me on that one...

Weight gain just after the op is also normal, it’s mainly to do with swelling I believe. As you found out though, it soon goes down again. Time will fly and you’ll soon be experimenting with different tastes and textures of food. Things will have changed so take it slowly and don’t forget to sip that water.
Btw, what op did you have in the end?
Welcome to the losers bench, I hope you enjoy your time here! Take it easy, follow the plan and sip that water. You’ll soon settle in to your new routine. ;-)
Thanks so much! Yeah I’ve heard the restriction comes with food, so not too worried yet. I don’t feel full or hungry at the moment - very weird! I’m managing a milky coffee for breakfast then some yoghurt / custard and 200ml soup for lunch and dinner per day. Along with water / squash throughout the day.

I could probably have more if I tried, as in it doesn’t feel like I’m super full but sticking to the 200ml measures for soup etc.

Do you think I need to be worrying about protein at this stage? I bought some shakes but they’re so sweet Im not enjoying them at all! Ordered some protein water to try though.

Oh missed that vital part of info out, oops! Went for a sleeve in the end, just felt safer and right for me. I think my willpower is pretty good, wasn’t much of a snacked - it’s just my portions that were too big and being well, greedy! So sleeve felt right. :)

x

Kev_h

I’d say protein is very important at every stage as it helps your body to heal but don’t force anything down you that you are not enjoying. You don’t want to put yourself off anything by making yourself ill. If I remember correctly, I used milk powder quite a lot to increase my protein. I think I just added a few spoonfuls of marvel to my milk and whisked/ blended it up a bit. And then sieved it back into the bottle to remove any lumps. Then use that milk to make any drinks I had or to water down the soups a bit. A few people used protein water, I never did, but I did use a bit of whey protein in milk a few times. As you’ve discovered, your tastes will change so don’t order in too much of anything until you know you like it. It’s all about experimenting for the next few months, try a bit and see how you go.

Saying that, I’m almost a year post op and I’m still experimenting. I tried kippers for breakfast for the first time this week and they didn’t sit well in my belly. No unpleasantness but they made it gurgle quite a bit so I won’t be trying that again for a while.

Time will fly by and you’ll soon move through the stages. You’ll soon be giving us your one month update and telling us you are pain free or trying a boiled egg or a bit of mashed potato with gravy! Some of those foods will have never tasted so good! If you find that you are not tolerating a stage, then step back a stage for a few more days then try again. If a particular food doesn’t feel right, then leave it for a week or two and then try again. You’ll discover that your new stomach is very much in control now, listen to it and you’ll be fine.

I love my sleeve. Speaking with hindsight, I do believe it was the best choice for me. You do need a bit more will power at times as you are less prone to dumping syndrome if you eat rich foods but on the upside, you can eat ‘a bit of’ rich food. Hence the will power!...

That is for the future though, for now, just follow the plan and you’ll be fine.

Bling Babe

Thought I'd do an update :) I'm one week post op!!

I somehow ended up super lucky and my surgery took place in a private hospital instead of homerton. I was so grateful for the private room, air con and en-suite! The care was fantastic, though I suspect it would have been at homerton too. I stayed in hospital one night, and not gonna lie the first day/night was rough. I don't remember a lot, but the anaesthetic hit me hard!

I tried getting out of bed and ended up almost asleep in the chair but managed to wee and move around the room a little. I was sick a few times in the night, which I was told was the anaesthetic - it was gross and black. Pain the first night was uncomfortable and not very nice but I think it was mainly just me taking a while to pull round.

Next morning I felt mostly fine! Walked around loads, did stairs with the physio's no problem. Didn't have any gas pain, just uncomfortableness and like there were stones in my belly. Was sick once or twice more but nothing more since then. :)

This week has been fine, I'm managing to drink everything - milk, coffee, water, juice, soup. It's all going down surprisingly well, I can manage most of the amount my plan dictates. But, I can easily forget. Bit worried how easy it goes down, more than anything tbh but the nurse seems pleased that I'm doing well.

I stupidly weighed myself 3 days post op and GAINED 8lbs!! that was a kicker. Weighed myself today though (week out) and I lost those 8lbs and an additional 7lbs which I'm happy with. Total loss since LRD is 1 stone 13lbs.

That's me on liquids for another 2 weeks, but looking forward to puree already!

Can't believe I'm actually writing this update to be honest. My first appointment was only 8 months ago, and here I am! So grateful for the NHS and being given this chance.
Hey that’s great, welcome to the losers bench, look forward to seeing your continued journey x

Bling Babe

Thanks so much! Yeah I’ve heard the restriction comes with food, so not too worried yet. I don’t feel full or hungry at the moment - very weird! I’m managing a milky coffee for breakfast then some yoghurt / custard and 200ml soup for lunch and dinner per day. Along with water / squash throughout the day.

I could probably have more if I tried, as in it doesn’t feel like I’m super full but sticking to the 200ml measures for soup etc.

Do you think I need to be worrying about protein at this stage? I bought some shakes but they’re so sweet Im not enjoying them at all! Ordered some protein water to try though.

Oh missed that vital part of info out, oops! Went for a sleeve in the end, just felt safer and right for me. I think my willpower is pretty good, wasn’t much of a snacked - it’s just my portions that were too big and being well, greedy! So sleeve felt right. :)

x
Hiya, since my bypass I’ve been unable to tolerate hot drinks and tbh hot meals don’t sit too well but what I was going to say was yes protein is really importan, I have unflavoured protein powder in my cold brew coffee and it’s delicious and creamy x

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
@deedee_ hello and welcome to the losers bench. Glad to hear the op went well.

Which protein drinks/powders did you go for, some of them can be sweet, artificially and others have a lot of sugar in them too. I found the ready made ufit ones ideal and they're usually on offer in one of the supermarkets. Obviously we're all different but I tried so many and almost all didnt agree with me.

I'm four years out from my sleeve now and my restriction is still really good but I'm also still sensitive to sugar.

Good luck on this part of your journey, looking forward to hearing how you progress 🍀

Bling Babe

@deedee_ hello and welcome to the losers bench. Glad to hear the op went well.

Which protein drinks/powders did you go for, some of them can be sweet, artificially and others have a lot of sugar in them too. I found the ready made ufit ones ideal and they're usually on offer in one of the supermarkets. Obviously we're all different but I tried so many and almost all didnt agree with me.

I'm four years out from my sleeve now and my restriction is still really good but I'm also still sensitive to sugar.

Good luck on this part of your journey, looking forward to hearing how you progress 🍀
Always good to hear from you @Mazza x

Lalapo

Welcome. Did you have the sleeve?
im 10 months out from sleeve and lost 6stones. Not bad with all my co-mobidities! Take it easy and follow the plan, don’t be like me and try to run before you walk. Hope you loads of success x

deedee_

hi everyone! thank you for the nice comments ☺️

thought i’d do a check in - mainly in case anyone finds this thread looking for info before their journey, i know i did a lot of searching!

i am now 19 weeks post op and as of this morning, 5 stone 6lbs down including the LRD.

i still have a long way to go - a good 7 stone to a healthy BMI but i’m not sure what my goal is. i don’t think i’ve ever been a healthy BMI but i’m going to try my best to get there!

i’ve been incredibly lucky, i haven’t been sick once since i left hospital and have tolerated everything i’ve tried food wise. even had a few wines over christmas!

i’ve started trying to track calories and protein more this week and trying not to go over 900 cals and getting about 60g of protein.

happy new year everyone! here’s to a healthy 2021 x

Cheshire Cat

hi everyone! thank you for the nice comments ☺

thought i’d do a check in - mainly in case anyone finds this thread looking for info before their journey, i know i did a lot of searching!

i am now 19 weeks post op and as of this morning, 5 stone 6lbs down including the LRD.

i still have a long way to go - a good 7 stone to a healthy BMI but i’m not sure what my goal is. i don’t think i’ve ever been a healthy BMI but i’m going to try my best to get there!

i’ve been incredibly lucky, i haven’t been sick once since i left hospital and have tolerated everything i’ve tried food wise. even had a few wines over christmas!

i’ve started trying to track calories and protein more this week and trying not to go over 900 cals and getting about 60g of protein.

Good to know you are doing so well. Covid put the brakes on for me. I should have been having the op the about the same time as you, but now they can’t tell me when it will be ☹️☹️☹️ I am sure my turn will come!
Keep us updated on how your doing x

Lalapo

hi everyone! thank you for the nice comments ☺

happy new year. I forgot my log in and I lost my way. You have lost loads of weight already. That is super amazing. Keep it up 👍

deedee_

hey everyone.

just thought i’d add an update as i’m now just over a year post op.

i feel very lucky that my journey has been incredibly smooth sailing. still no pain, sickness or struggling. everything has been a breeze in all honesty - and it’s only because i feel full quicker that i even know i’ve had an op!

i’m 9 stone down, and hoping to lose another 2 stone to bring me to a healthy BMI but in all honesty i think i’d be happy with another stone which i think is achievable. i’m still losing weight - just slowly now, but then again i am eating the odd brownie or slice of pizza these days because life is for living!

starting to realise the numbers on the scales aren’t always all that and working hard to convince myself it’s not because everything i pick is oversized that a size 14 fits me - it’s because im 9 stone lighter!!

very strange how the brain works but im sure i’ll catch up with myself!

hope you’re all good and to anyone reading this whilst frantically googling like i was - your time will come and it’ll be the best thing you ever do for yourself :)

Bling Babe

hey everyone.

just thought i’d add an update as i’m now just over a year post op.

i feel very lucky that my journey has been incredibly smooth sailing. still no pain, sickness or struggling. everything has been a breeze in all honesty - and it’s only because i feel full quicker that i even know i’ve had an op!

i’m 9 stone down, and hoping to lose another 2 stone to bring me to a healthy BMI but in all honesty i think i’d be happy with another stone which i think is achievable. i’m still losing weight - just slowly now, but then again i am eating the odd brownie or slice of pizza these days because life is for living!

starting to realise the numbers on the scales aren’t always all that and working hard to convince myself it’s not because everything i pick is oversized that a size 14 fits me - it’s because im 9 stone lighter!!

very strange how the brain works but im sure i’ll catch up with myself!

hope you’re all good and to anyone reading this whilst frantically googling like i was - your time will come and it’ll be the best thing you ever do for yourself :)
Great to hear from you, congratulations on your fantastic weight los, you’ve done amazingly x