• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hospital advice please

Ellie65

Guys im in a right turmoil here, all along I was thinking that I was going to St Richards Chichester (Mr Shaw Somers) but have now received a letter from my PCT saying that I cannot go there but have to choose out of these:

Chelsea and Westminster
Imperial College (Hammersmith)
Homerton
UCLH
Kings & GSTT (Joint bid)
St Georges
Whittington Royal west sussex
Luton & Dunstable

Dont know a single thing about these hospitals. Any advice would be greatfully received Ellie xxx

I'm with the Whittington as are a few others here, they have always been very good with my progress. Not had my op yet, still having tests etc. They seem very thorough, you have to attend a educatoinal class with them before you go any further so you know what you're letting yourself in for and then you get your first appt after that. I think my educatinal was back in June sometime so it's been a while but getting there, I have my sleep study with them tonight.

Hi Ellie

I can 150% recommend the Whittington - they have a department dedicated to nothing but weight loss surgery. They also have a great video on their website - have a look. Honestly I know Im biased but the aftercare is fantastic and the pre op care too - there is also a monthly support group for pre and post op patients. My surgeon was Mr Sufi who is the clinical lead in the department.

Hiya - I'm with Chealsea and Westminster and I really like them (pre-op/post-op care has been very good). If you asked me whether I'd do it all over again with them, my answer would be 'most defenetely yes, in a heartbeat'.

Luton & Dunstable I would avoid, they are one of the ones that make you lose 5-10% of your current weight before surgery by doing the milk diet for a looooooooooong time.

Best thing is to speak to each bariatric unit and ask them a few questions such as length of waiting list, mortality rate, length of time doing bariatric surgery, infection/complication rate etc and read a few diarys on here of people who have been through each one where possible.

I believe chichester have closed their waiting list for a while as it is sooo long.

Sorry I can't help as I don't know any of these hospitals. There will be plenty of different opinions on each of them so have a read through the many replys you get and see what you think then. Good luck with choosing and good luck on your journeyxx

I originally thought I was going to Chichester but then got automatically referred to Charing Cross (Hammersmith). So far I've only had the initial appointment there, but can say that I am very impressed with them and they have been awareded "Centre of Excellence" for their Bariatric Surgery this year. I know there are a few on here who have been to Charing Cross. My only gripe with it is getting into London from where I live - Chichester would have been easier, however the hospital and Bariatric team have been FAB so far.

The Imperial College (Hammersmith) is Charing cross hospital which is a centre of excellence for bariactric surgery. I had my surgery there and it was fantastic! The ward was outstanding in my experience. I travelling to London, it was more than worth the journey as the standard of care was far superior to my local hospital in my opinion.

Last edited:
hello there,

if u are having trouble deciding, maybe u can go visit these hosp and maybe that will put your mind @ rest and make it easier 4 u 2 decide perhaps.

All the best - MeJulie xx

I am under St Georges hospital and would not hesitate in recommending them. I have found them to be very understanding and supportive. I initally got referred to them last Nov and have now had all my appointments. They do set a weight loss target before they consider putting you onto the waiting list but this is so that you show your commitmen to the programme.

If you have any further specific questions about St Georges please do not hesitate to ask.

Hi Ellie, good luck with making your decision. My advice would be to find out which surgeon operates at each hospital and find out as much about them as you can.

Other things to take into account are waiting times, mortality/complication rates and then true life experiences that you can find on here both good and bad. It seems from the answers you have recieved so far that all hospitals come highly rated so I'd say go with your gut feeling rather than a particular persons recommendation or otherwise.

Hi Ellie

My Surgeon was Mr Mannur at Homerton Hospital. They have a dedicated bariatric team there. He comes very highly recommended.

My surgeon is supposed to be one of the busiest in London with a very good track record. He has also worked in the States and has a private practice.

All of the staff at the Homerton bar none were really nice, non judgemental and helpful although they were VERY busy.

Have spent time as an inpatient in many different London hospitals because of illness but this experience was overall the most pleasant.

Hope this helps.

Oooh just an afterthought, find out if you have a choice over the surgeon as there are often more than one.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies still not sure what to do will sleep on it tonight and see how I feel tomorrow thanks again xxxx

Still struggling with this at the moment, not sure which way to turn here.

Sorry you are finding it difficult Ellie, I guess you are lucky that you have the choice, but in some ways it would just be good to be told where you have to go so that the journey doesnt have to be any more stressful than it already is.

Did you start to make any enquiries about the hospitals, the surgeons and the waiting times? Does your GP recommend one above the others (if previous patients have had WLS)?

Big hugs xx

Hi
I just found out yesterday that Chichester are not taking anyone at the moment and that I have been referred to the PIN Panel. So I'm in limbo at this time.

Mark.

Hi, Ellie,
I think you should do as much research into your hospital choices, as possible, and take the time to read other people's experiences on here.
I know that the temptation is to get something organised, so that your journey can continue, but it's important that you feel comfortable with your decision. Good luck with whatever you decide x

Back