• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

recommended hospitals

shar0n

Hi everyone, I am about to start my journey as my funding was approved last week.I have been given a list of 10 hospitals to choose from and wondered if anyone could recommend one with the least waiting time. Chelsea and Westminster, guys, homerton, imperial, kings, luton, st. Georges, uni college London, st Richards chichester and whittington. I live in East sussex. Thanks. :)

i had my op done at kings 2 weeks ago,they are brilliant xx

I was under Guys, who transfered me to their sister hospital, St Thomas'.

But my op was done at the Prncess Grace Hospital.

Mr Patel my surgeon also works for the NHS at Kings...

I would highly recommend him.

mr patel did mine :) hes brilliant and his team are fab too xx

I'm from bradford but just wanted to say well done on getting your funding x

i'm from Morecambe so can't help either but good luck Mr Patel sounds good though from what i've read on here x

I'm having mine done at Chichester. I've heard nothing but amazing things about their staff and the bariatric ward. I found my pre op appointments to be great too. Made to feel safe and reassured with all questions, definitely treated with respect. I also know they have extra large everything there so you don't have to worry about gowns, blood pressure cuffs, little flimsy chairs etc. Although I'm sure some of the other hospitals you've listed have that too but the rave reviews I'd heard about Chichester is why I chose it. The surgeons that work at Chichester are all meant to be great too:)

Hi Sharon :)

Knowing what i know now you need to pick a hospital with a dedicated bariatric department. This cuts down the waiting time, as you can see St Georges is a long time although i believe they are catching up.. St Richards in Chichester is quick and cuts down on appointments by having 3 in one day instead of to-ing and fro-ing 3 times..

I picked St Georges due to logistical reasons but i would advise it is very slow and has no dedicated bariatric department.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you have chosen ..

Nicky xx

Thank you all for the lovely friendly advice and good wishes. I am so excited and nervous at the same time, and it is so nice to be able to get advise from people who are going through or been through the same thing. : )

I'm having mine done at Chichester. I've heard nothing but amazing things about their staff and the bariatric ward. I found my pre op appointments to be great too. Made to feel safe and reassured with all questions, definitely treated with respect. I also know they have extra large everything there so you don't have to worry about gowns, blood pressure cuffs, little flimsy chairs etc. Although I'm sure some of the other hospitals you've listed have that too but the rave reviews I'd heard about Chichester is why I chose it. The surgeons that work at Chichester are all meant to be great too:)

So happy to hear this because I have been seriously considering Chichester, it would be the easiest hospital for me to get to. So thank you so much for your response, how long did it take you to get your pre op appointment and surgery date, if you don't mind me asking. :) Good luck!!

I was at Kings and I can't think of aythiing bad to say about the whole experience everything about Kings and the staff was perfect. My Surgeon was Avril Chang

Hi

I had my bypass done at St Richards, and can highly recomend them, everything was fantastic, from the nurses to the surgeons and including the ward cleaning team that cleaned the ward from top to bottom twice a day. And when I had mine at the end of February they where working to a 12 week waiting list, from first appointment to day of surgery. It's a 200 mile round trip for me but as you are in their area already it would be a no brainer for you.

Paul

Hi

I had my bypass done at St Richards, and can highly recomend them, everything was fantastic, from the nurses to the surgeons and including the ward cleaning team that cleaned the ward from top to bottom twice a day. And when I had mine at the end of February they where working to a 12 week waiting list, from first appointment to day of surgery. It's a 200 mile round trip for me but as you are in their area already it would be a no brainer for you.

Paul

Hi Paul

Thats amazing, I think my mind is made up. Chichester is about 48 miles away from where I live, so not too bad. How long do you stay in for? Thanks so much for the info. :)

Although Luton is a long way, I can't recommend it enough. They have a very experienced bariatric department there, and good surgeons with a great team behind them. Very supportive and worth considering if Chichester doesn't work out.

can i ask you ladys and gentlemen what the pain is like after a bypass and how long is it before its not to bad

When I first woke up I had a really sharp pain in my tummy. When I next woke up I had morphine. By about day three the pain was manageable with paracetamol and within a week I had stopped all painkillers.

My pain wasn't bad at all, more annoying was the wind discomfort in my shoulder than anything in my stomach area. I had an allergic reaction to the morphine so had to be given an antidote quite quickly, and from then on I was fine on just IV paracetamol.

No problem. I don't know if it is different for NHS but my pre op was on the 9th of May and my surgery is on the 31st. I had to see the dietician and the anaesthetist before being given a date. I saw them on the 16th of April and found out my date on the 20th. I did have a wait to get my appointment to get my appointment for various reasons, some of them my own, but as far as I know the waiting list isn't that long once you are in the system at Chichester, I think that applies to NHS too. Good luck :) x

Well thanks for all the help, I have picked the st. Richards hospital in chichester. So all excited and nervous about the next step.....not sure what to expect yet. So happy to have found WLS the support is priceless.

Well thanks for all the help, I have picked the st. Richards hospital in chichester. So all excited and nervous about the next step.....not sure what to expect yet. So happy to have found WLS the support is priceless.

Glad you have come to a desicion, Esp such a good one as chichester :D:D:D (i'm in love with chichester lol) I can honestly say that i have not heard a single complaint about chichester, i'm certain when you get there you'l see why x I have recommened this hospital to my mother in law, as we all know don't want to get on the wrong side of the mother in law but i know i'm onto a winner in this recommendation lol x Best of luck for your appointment and please let us know how you get on xx

Back