• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How do I

tubbiesgirl

.... get myself referred for surgery, I have a BMI of 50 and have struggled for years with my weight yo yo -ing all over the place never going lower than 16 st. Depression, and athritic back pain have joined in with the diabetes, and I know that people who dont have a weight issue think.. I am lazy, and over eat, ect ect ect. My GP refused to give me medication, I saw a different one in the same surgery who gave me xenical but only for 2 weeks!! then would not give anymore, I have moved house and changed GP so I thought I would try again and ask for help, all the usual - see a dietican, join a slimming group ( i do go to slimming world and I am loosing slowly but I have done this before and it has gone back on) What I really want is a chance to start living my life and get the help, that other people in the country have had, the care seems to have pockets of places that give help then vast expanses of places that do not help at all. I am so fed up and I see all the lovely pictures on here of people who have had good results from surgery and it makes me cry, I am pleased for them, but I would be thrilled if it were me

As serenity said see your new Gp but be prepared to start from scratch as Gp's have to exhaust all other avenues before sending you for surgery.
I have been on all pills potions slimming clubs and seeing a consultant for over 2 years, got refused funding twice (the letter that makes you sink in an instant) then suddenly funding arrives.
so the key is keep trying do everything asked of you to the best of your ability, keep your fingers crossed and it will happen. but as a lot of people find out patience is the key.
and as im finding out the guys here are a great help and offer a lot of support. (to the point that i have the site open in a spare page on my pc in the office to keep up with posts...... good job im the boss lol.

so good luck and my thoughts are with you .... go for it it costs nothing to ask for help.

You have to ask your GP to refer you for WLS through the NHS.

Whether you can be referred will depend on your PCT (primary care trust) as each have different criteria they impose for people before they will fund WLS (eg a minimum BMI, what co-morbidities (weight connected health problems like sleep apnoea or diabetes) you have and whether you have gone through a NHS weight reduction programme.

This is a link to a sticky thread on here that talks about all the basic information you need http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/66792-nhs-funding-surgery-where-start.html

I don't want to worry you though but I see you live in Cardiff. From what everyone on here has said (and even my own GP) the NHS in Wales essentially does not fund WLS at all :cry:(I have read on here that they have only done 12 NHS WLS in the whole of Wales in the last year)

I am hoping to move to Cardiff (the Vale of Glamorgan) as soon as possible but I have had my life on hold a bit because I am waiting for my Op in London.

Good luck

TillyBob

its worth an ask for a gp referal but funding seems to be very little or non existant in wales, from what i can remember they only fund 12 ops a year and most thats been done have went privatley due to funding being poor in that area.

i wish you luck, but it will be best to see what the funding situation is at present in your area.

good luck !

liz x

I went to my diabetis spesialist and said i wanted to have a better life not on loads of pills for depresion and diabetis + lots of insulin.i also said i wanted to be fit enough to go back to work feeling a worthwile member of sosiaty paying my way depending on benifits.He then wrote to my gp urging him to put me forward for WLS. Within one year later i had op ...jeff

Thank you so much to all of you for your kindness and helpfull advice, I will try the GP, and we have LHB in Wales not PCT's so I may lobby them too. Last resort move to England for surgery!
Thanks again xx

BOSPA doesn't cover Wales or Scotland unfortunately, only England. It does have a lot of information on though about the referral process etc so it worth a read.

If you want NHS funding in Wales, be prepared to fight! It's nearly impossible to get unfortunately :(

Yes get yourself an appointment made with your gp and ask to be refered. Be aware though that alot of pct's insist you have had all the prescription meds for weight loss and that you have tried many ways to lose the weight. They may even insist you attend a weight loss management course with a dietician. If you do as they ask you have more chance of getting the funding.Good luck through this journeyxx

I have tried all the meds, Xenical had a little effect, reductil made me ill with migraine type headaches, years ago had apisate (remember that! cleaning house til two in the morning cos you couldnt sleep!!)
I been to WW, SW ,tried CD years ago, I have lost 12.5 lbs this time with SW, and I will keep going - SW is the only one that works for me as it is not too prescriptive in what you can eat, I try to do more excerise when I do I get pain as I have arthritis in my knee and my back. I have never found the Gp's to be very sympathetic, one of them told me my pain was in my head and I should work through it.. yet the MRI shows arthritis on a level with a 75 year old! I get very upset on the inside about all this, and try not to show it to my girls, oh dear.. rant over..at least I can pour it all out on here I am so glad I found you all my very own personal therapy page
Thanks so much for all your help and comments. I am going to phone the surgery tomorrow and get an appointment, I will go armed with the NICE guidelines for surgery, as I have all the other medical conditions, so watch this space xx

Good luck Sandy. Let us know how you get on. xxxx

Back