• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Where do I start?

LBD

Hello everyone, I am new here.

I am seriously considering a gastric band. I am 14st 12lb and am 5' 3". My BMI is 37. I have struggled with my weight since about the age of 18 (I am 40 now). Although I have lost weight on various diets over the years I just cannot keep it off.

I have assumed that I would not be eligible for the surgery on the NHS so am looking privately.

Problem is, I just don't know where to start. What do I do first? How do I find a good surgeon etc? Do I have to see my GP first? I don't even know if I would even be eligible for surgery at all.

If anyone can help me get started I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks

hi LBD and :welcome: to minis, do you have any health problems caused by your weight ? if so you may qualify to have a band on the nhs in your area, its always worth a try 1st before going private.

liz x

Hello LBD,
I too am new and almost in the same situation as yourself.

I have approched my GP to see if its possible to have the surgery on the NHS and due to my health problems he is going to find out for me, I don't have what they actually ask for in the criteara, I am at risk but for now do not have any of it.

So like yourself I am searching for info to go private but its confusing and scary, I think I will ask my GP to maybe recomend a surgeon this could be an option for you too perhaps.

Kind Regards x

I would hope your gp would be a lot more sympathetic than sending you away, has he offered you to do the food diary? this is what I have just finished and will be giving to him this comming week:eek: also he could offer you one of two tablets, I was told that if I want to see a consultant for wait loss surgery that they will ask if I had tried any of what I have mentioned and obviously dieting, which you would have done like I have.

So LBD you must go back to him or ask to see another GP if possible? I do hop you get some offer of help.
How would they like to be in our shoes for a day!
I will let you know of my outcome this week seeing as we are so simular, thats if you want?

If you want to chat anytime Im here for you, its nice to have someone who you can chat to that is experiencing that same thing.
Take care x

see another gp in the practice as 1 gp's opinion isnt necesarily the same as anothers. i went through all of mine, the lady gp was the best and eventually refered me.

Thank you for your comments and yes Diana it would be great to chat to you.

I guess what I am worried about is that I am not as heavy as a lot of people who are referred for surgery and that they will say I don't need it and should simply diet. On the face of it I probably don't come across as needing such a drastic solution.

It's hard trying to explain to people just how tough it is being overweight and that the countless diets I have been on just end up with me being even heavier. I remember the doctor telling me not to keep any unhealthy food in the house (difficult with two teenage boys and a husband who can all eat what they want!), find some willpower and go for a walk every day and then I should be ok! He makes it all sound so simple and I feel stupid and useless that I cannot control myself.

I will pluck up the courage to speak to him as I need a permanent solution to something that is really affecting my wellbeing and my health (I have had high blood pressure for about 12 years).

My name is Lisa by the way!

hi Lisa, welcome to minis. I'm sure if you see a different gp you may get a different response. As Liz sais she had to go through all hers untill she finally got some where. Keep trying and don't be disheartened at the first hurdle, good luck xx Gaynor xx

Hi LIsa and welcome can I add you as a freind so we can chat?

I know exactly where your coming from too xx

Back