• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

can you refer yourself for wls?

charlie_pops

i meet the criteria for my local pct and went to the doctor who said he would refer me to the weight loss management programme. ive been reading all the posts on here and it seems people who do the course still have to wait a year to get refered to get funding and surgeon appointments.

should i go to the weight loss programme and say look i meet the criteria ect and explain or is there a way to refer yourself?

pops x

i was refered to weight loss management program and when i saw the consulatant their i explained i had looked into surgery myself and so they immediately wrote back to my gp and told them to apply for my funding, and so when they applied they were able to say i was allready under a weight management program so they never requested me to be with them for any particular length that way x

hope that helps

emma

thankyou emma. how long did you have to do the management course for? im waiting for my appointment to come through, ive been looking at surgery for a while but got knocked back 2 yrs ago by my doctor as they said i was too young ( i was 22 and she was a horrible doctor) i cant wait for my meeting, im hoping that i can go in and explain and not wait longer than a year as ill be 25 soon and want to start a new life :D

hi wendy, im in the northeast. my pct is nice guidelines, im over 40 bmi so i qualify. i think im just very impatient and want to get started on this journey

thats really unfair saying your too young, i was 20 when my funding was put through, and im only 22 now, i have had a very long wait but my pct have been a nightmare and i ended up writing to my local mp to get them to get a shift on!
firslty if your not allready on weight loss medication then go straight back to your gp and get them to put you on it, think they only prescribe ORLISTAT now, because the pct are going to want to hear that you have been on weight loss medication without losing any significant weight otherwise they will write back to say you need to do this, and as for the weight management its normally 6 months but its different for each pct.

what i sujjest it, everything you have ever tried to lose weight, write it down and take it to the weight management appointment because they will relay al this to your gp who will relay it in the funding application.

been on orlistat since march, ive lost a stone and kept it off but thats about it. good idea ill write it all down. its going to be a lonnnng list lol my doc said that it could be down to my genes aswell as my mam and dad arent small and neither is the rest of my family

been on orlistat since march, ive lost a stone and kept it off but thats about it. good idea ill write it all down. its going to be a lonnnng list lol my doc said that it could be down to my genes aswell as my mam and dad arent small and neither is the rest of my family
thats 6 months weight management :)x

I had a 'biography' of my weight problems, from when I was first treated with Ioamin tabs at 13 up to date, I went to the first weight management group (which was only for info and height, weight etc), on the 2nd group session they took us all individually to speak about our 'problems'. I had given them my life story the week before so they immediately said they would refer me for surgery as I had tried everything else in last 30 years and the only thing that worked (ionamin) is now banned :(
That was Aug last year (2010), I attended the WLS seminar at SRH in Jan this year, saw bariatric nurse and dietician in May and now have an appt to see consultant next Jan (2012), it's a long process but when you've been big as long as I have, another year or so jumping through the required hoops is a drop in the ocean.
Basically if you've tried everything to no avail they have no choice but to refer you. It also depends which PCT you're under as to when they will apply for funding. Mine apply before they send you on the seminar so you know that it's there from the start and you can worry about all the other stuff as and when it occurs.
Hope this helps darl x

I've been overweight since I was about 5 or 6. I always did pe at school, always running around and could never shift the weight. Its like now, the doc told me to do more exercise. I have 2 jobs and I'm on my feet for about 14 hours a day trying my best with portion control and healthy foods. Most I loose is 2 stone. I can never get passed it. Tried cambridge, weight watchers, slimming world everything. I was under a different doc when I had orlistat so not sure if that effects me.

Hi Charlie where in the north east are you as in Newcastle side you can be referred for wlsurgery at the same time as being referred for the 8 week weight management course. X x x

hi suzie, im in newcastle it seems that people in the north east have a slightly easier ride. thats cheered me up abit caren, hopefully i can get pushed through the hoops quicker?

hi wendy, im in the northeast. my pct is nice guidelines, im over 40 bmi so i qualify. i think im just very impatient and want to get started on this journey

Charlie a lot of pct's are asking that you do weight management courses in hope that you either lose the weight or change your mind.
I know it seems like its a long wait BUT use this time wisely.
Ask loads of questions, Find out about the different surgeys. and try and met people who have had surgery. Take the time to mentally prepare yourself.

I know it seems easy for me to say.But I did weight management for 18 months before I was refered to surgery then It was a 12 month wait for the surgery its self. Now looking back it didn't seem that long, But at the time it felt like forever.

At least you are young and will be able to live life to the full after. A lot of people here are in their 40's and feel like life has passed them by while they stand on the side lines only being able to watch

When I was originally referred, the hospital weight management doctor said as I had been to every slimming club, tried most diets fad or not, been on reductil and then orlistat, I had done more than weight management. So set me a target of 7lbs to lose by my next appt. I think I lost a stone. Then the next doctor said he dont think I am ready (because I was on a meal replacement diet to get ready) and to wait for a bit. I was green at the time and decided he is the doc, so listened to him.

Then my gallstones went mad on refeed, so I emailed the doc and he said I was to be seen in clinic ASAP and copied his sec into it.

I never got the appt. By the time the next appt came around (I know since) the hospitals PCT's criteria had changed. I am not under the hospital PCT. My PCT follows NICE guidelines. But follows the hospitals PCTS guidelines when people are being treated there.

I begged to have the help of community weight management, as by now I was a lot heavier as I told him I would be in the email in August (this was Jan)....I was sent to community weight management in April.

I have lost the weight I had gained now and more. But my funding application only went in yesterday. My friends under the same PCT and hospital who were referred later than me have had their operations.

I think it is not just what PCT you are under, it depends if you are the person they choose for hoop jumping.

Looks like Newcastle is better than Birmingham. So good luck to you xxx

Hi if you choose rakelane it's around 1 year from referral to op. Mr woodcock is excellent also you can choose Sunderland and they are also excellent. Me, Louise and wencho are going through rakelane and had an easy time compared to most. I have had no cancelled appointments, the dietician and nurse have been excellent. I had seminar around march and my op date is 4th jan. So go jump jump and jump through them hoops :) as once it starts it's a quick ride and before you no it will be next Christmas :) x x x

Yes fuffs Newcastle is easy. As long as you have tried orlistat and done weight management (must loose a few pounds and go to every one for 8 weeks) and your bmi is 35 with co morb and 40 without at the time of seminar and referral then your all set. The surgeon has funding so didn't have to apply and get a weight loss target off nurse you have to achieve. It's a shame that most pct don't do it like this as my surgeon won't see 90% of people at seminar of around 40 people as they back out due to the shock of what they just heard. Think it's a great way to do it. I so hope you get your funding soon as you so deserve it, it is sounding very positive for you and the surgeon is with you all the way :) x x x

Yes fuffs Newcastle is easy. As long as you have tried orlistat and done weight management (must loose a few pounds and go to every one for 8 weeks) and your bmi is 35 with co morb and 40 without at the time of seminar and referral then your all set. The surgeon has funding so didn't have to apply and get a weight loss target off nurse you have to achieve. It's a shame that most pct don't do it like this as my surgeon won't see 90% of people at seminar of around 40 people as they back out due to the shock of what they just heard. Think it's a great way to do it. I so hope you get your funding soon as you so deserve it, it is sounding very positive for you and the surgeon is with you all the way :) x x x

That sounds like a much better way to do it. For once I wish I didnt live in Birmingham :( lol. Would be great going through knowing the funding is in place. Takes the pressure off.

And thank you very much. I am feeling strangely optimistic. I am positive that I will fight if they reect my funding.

Back