• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long from first being put forward for WLS to actual surgery itself

Barbie1003

Hiya everybody

Just want to say hi and to ask how long from seeing the dietician at the Weight Management Service and being told will be put forward to you actually getting first appointment with surgeon - have been told it can take up to 6 months. Anybody else who used the Leeds PCT can let me know this. I have been told I need to try and lose some weight but am still awaiting appointment to see surgeon - it has been over a month already since I had initial consultation with the Dietician.

I'm not from your area, but after being referred by my GP, I got an appt through to see the obesity consultant within about 2 months....once I was in the system, generally all other appts took longer to come through afterwards.

I started weight management in 2008 still havnt seen a surgeon yet!Funding in place though.Maz x

I started weight management in 2008 still havnt seen a surgeon yet!Funding in place though.Maz x

Bl**dy hell, are than planning on doing you at all this millenium? I can understand the reasons behind WLS not being a rushed affair, but hell, that's ridiculous!

I started my process in April '10 I'm due to have my procedure done Dec 29 '10 I'm with Kaiser. I have met with endocrinologist 1 time, diet/nutrition 7 times, psych 10 times, cardiologist 1 time and pulmonologist 1 time...

the whole process, first appt to surgery took about 14 / 15 months for me.

Hi Hun and welcome, I'm from Blackpool and its different for every PCT but i was 20 weeks from seeing GP to getting my OP.

im in sunderland and i was first referred in may 2009 and wont be getting my surgery until about feb/march next year.

Im in Manchester and from start to finish it was getting on for 2 yrs for me, I did have some cock-ups along the way though by my GP and the hospital. Every PCT is so different and like Mixxy said all the criterias are changing at the moment. Good luck and I hope your wait isnt a long one :D XX

Hiya all - thanks very much for all your replies - eeek what a difference between different PCT's - only wish I could afford to go private but unfortunately don't have the funds - I also go along to a 10 percent group (a Leeds 8 week course where you do 45 mins of exercise and 45 mins of talks) very interesting - when started the course with my back being so bad - I nearly cried - I could barely walk up the stairs in my flat never mind doing 45 minute exercise - it is run by the Weight Management Service in Leeds and alongside Leeds City Council and as the first port of call is by your gp referring you to a dietician at the Weight Management Service - I had a breathless word to the physio (breathless cos I was doing exercise at the time lol) - who told me that from your initial appt with the dietician, if they decide to put your forward for surgery - should be seen by surgeon within 18 weeks and once you get into the hospital system it moves quite quickly - so keeping fingers crossed - by the way from not being able to do any exercise apart from sat on a chair - I am now able to do a circuit of different one minute exercises and have lost just under two stones in two weeks (although I do know that is mainly fluid - to my coming off insulin which was obviously retaining fluid and starting on byetta!!!!!) But no other weight loss since!

eeek loads of appts to come then!

:eek:
I started my process in April '10 I'm due to have my procedure done Dec 29 '10 I'm with Kaiser. I have met with endocrinologist 1 time, diet/nutrition 7 times, psych 10 times, cardiologist 1 time and pulmonologist 1 time...

Back