• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

DIABETIC NIGHTMARE

Barbie1003

Hi everybody - I joined here late November - haven't had time to look round properly and did post back then. I am still awaiting the elucid first appointment with a surgeon after having been put forward beginning of October 2010 by Weight Management Team. Being diabetic (Type II) on Insulin for two years (more of that later!!!!) I was offered the chance to try out Byetta along with Gliclazide tablets, the fantastic Community Diabetic Team, to try and lose some weight (you have to stop the insulin. Within 4 days I had lost a stone and after two weeks 2 stone but my blood sugars running too high just on byetta and tablets, but I felt fantastic for the first time in two years. I knew that this was all fluid as instead of having two tree trunks for legs for two years I apparently had ankles again and could walk once again! But because my blood sugars still running high just on this regime, and Byetta not under licence to be used alongside Insulin - had to be referred back to Jimmy's to see consultant. As I had some insulin still in the fridge and appointment with consultant was two weeks away (and during awful snow) was told by hospital to introduce the insulin back in. I put on 9lbs in a week and I was losing my ankles again! Anyway sorry if you have fallen asleep by now, but apparently I have something quite rare called Insulin induced oedema (meaning that extra two stone was all fluid - no wonder I felt so ill!) But the consultant said that if I had been put forward for weight loss surgery (even tho no appt yet and could be up to 6 months) better to stay on the insulin as would heal better after surgery! I am now hoping when I do get my initial appointment that the surgeon will write to diabetic consultant to see that actually I need to get the bypass reasonably soon for medical reasons - or does this not seem to be the case - does anybody know if in Leeds PCT this would make any difference or is it just first come first served? Would be interested to know - I think I may need a lesson on how to use the forum properly I am not really sure where to look lol but you all seem to be perfectly happy with your surgeries so fingers crossed!

Sounds to me you would be better on the insulin and just wait for your turn at surgery,many people have benefitted from wls and come off their meds after.Maz x

Hi Barbie and welcome,

Pleased to hear from you...

I was offered Byetta... but my Consultant did not prescribe it in the end because of other medical issues...

In my experience Barbie, there is no fast track route for this surgery apart from paying privately. I was in a similar position to you with insulin resistance and it's so difficult I know... plus you have a lot of ups and downs that go with infections etc etc etc.

The best way I would consider is for your diabetic Consultant to write to your Bariatric Surgeon and explain your dilemma.

It's imperative that we do all we can with our diabetes pre surgery to assist our healing post surgery.

All the very best and stick closely to your Diabetic team and all advice and guidance... I am currently weaning off some insulins pre surgery and it's never easy...

Sending a humungous hug to you and all the very best... keep in touch with me if I can be of any help to ease your journey along the way.

All the very best xxx

Back