• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How Many Calories do You Plan to Eat in a Day?

Juney

Hiya all

I've not been on for a while, but only because there aren't enough hours in the day! I'm happy enough with my weightloss, which although has been slow, it has gone down stage by stage, and I now only want to lose another stone. I'm 53 in June, and don't want to look old and craggy - which some do after a huge weightloss, so I would be ecstatic to reach 13 stone by August, and then lose whatever is removed, and maybe lose a few extra pounds after . I have booked a tummy tuck for August, and think once I have had that I will be happy with how I look. I have no bum or legs, but a large droopy apron of a tummy. The surgeon in Poland, after looking at my pics, has said I am a good candidate for tummy tuck, and accepted me for surgery.

Sometimes I can get impatient if the scales don't move for a few weeks, and recently I was horrified when a sleever on Facebook was advising people to have 500 calories a day! She had lost her weight, and got to her target in just over 6 months. She was also telling people yesterday that protein isn't important after the first month of healing. She doesn't look healthy, and has started having fainting spells, and doesn't seem to be able to see she is starving her body. Her own doctor has told her she need to eat more, but she says she can't. One minute she says she doesn't want to lose weight, and the next is moaning because the scales aren't moving, and trying the 5 day pouch test. I told her I thought she had a problem, and advised her to seek help - it didn't go down well
icon_crazy.gif
I even toyed with the idea of reporting her post, as yes, she has lost her weight, but by starving herself, and I thought her advice to others was detrimental to health.

Anyway, I had my sleeve in Czech Republic with Cosmetic Bliss who were fabulous. I haven't had a single problem, and we were advised to make healthy choices, watch the carbs, and try to get plenty of protein - which I have done. We were never told to aim for a certain amount of calories, and if you Google "eating less than 1200 calories a day" you can read loads on why you shouldn't starve your body, as your metabolism will slow making it more difficult to lose weight. I've heard others say they aim for 800 calories a day - which to me would be starving myself. I had this op so I could stop obsessing about food, and although I do track my cals on MyFitnessPal, I don't obsess about it. I want to lead a normal life without cutting out every carb on the earth! I love cereal for breakfast, and other healthy carbs in fruit and veg.

So, were you advised as to how many calories you should have?

I've heard it said that we need less because we're bariatric patients - I had my stomach made smaller, but my body is still the same!! I welcome your thoughts
icon_thumbup.gif
xx

I think anything from 800 to 1200 is fine for a woman post wls.I never give calories a second thought now!Im diet free for the first time in 40 years!

Although I have had a bypass and not a sleeve I was told to aim for 1000-1200 calories per day. Although like Big an Bouncy I don't really keep too much of a check on them to be honest.

I've been thinking about this cals stuff. I'm still on liquids for another 4 days before moving onto puree, but it is on my mind
I dont want to start obsessing about food intake like I have done in the past so am hoping I can listen to my new stomach and learn to eat just until full and only worry about cals if I start stalling or gain.
It will be interesting to see what the rest of you do

Back