• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much restriction??

Andrea73

I'm over 2 years post op and have found that I don't seem to have the same restriction. Is this normal?? I don't know if I've broken my pouch or its to do with a medication that I was taken which causes increase in appetite and not feeling full. Obviously in hindsight it was a stupid pill to give me.

I'd really appreciate some advice here as I've put on a few pounds and can't seem to shift it. So is it the meds or has my pouch broke??

Thanks for reading x

My understanding is that your restriction would decrease over time with a bypass as your pouch is only a smaller portion of your original stomach - and therefore made of muscle tissue - so will stretch.
Please correct me if I'm way off the mark with this.
xXx

Last edited:
Our pouches will stretch after time,and a couple of months ago a medication I took caused me to gain weight,so doctor took me off it and I'm loosing slowly again x

I think it can stretch/grow a bit as time goes by. If you do a search on the cottage cheese test you might find out more - sure there was some research done which showed that some people's pouches take more than others over time but that weight gain was not directly in proportion with this. Good luck with shifting those few pounds:)

how about going back to basics... stick to anything under the 5g rule, drinking lots of fluids and eating high protein foods xx

.......sure there was some research done which showed that some people's pouches take more than others over time but that weight gain was not directly in proportion with this.

I think this from the Pouch for dummies page might be some of that research

"We then compared the weight loss of people with the known pouch size of each person, to see if the pouch size made a difference. In comparing the large pouches to the small pouches, THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE IN PERCENTAGE OF WEIGHT LOSS AMONG THE PATIENTS. This important fact essentially shows that it is NOT the size of the pouch but how it is used that makes weight loss maintenance possible."

I'm over 2 years post op and have found that I don't seem to have the same restriction. Is this normal?? I don't know if I've broken my pouch or its to do with a medication that I was taken which causes increase in appetite and not feeling full. Obviously in hindsight it was a stupid pill to give me.

I'd really appreciate some advice here as I've put on a few pounds and can't seem to shift it. So is it the meds or has my pouch broke??

Thanks for reading x
I think its a lot easier to break your mindset than break a pouch!

I really don't mean to be rude but the fact is.....If your'e putting on lbs then your'e not using up as many calories as you're putting in. We can make as many excuses as we wish ....low metabolism, 'but I exercise', 'I eat like a mouse' again without a calorie deficit we will store fat from extra calories and put weight on.
Medication and certain other medical conditions apart, we really are what we eat!

I would closely question the medicine and ask for an alternative ( the NHS usually try you on the cheapest alternative first. Your better than a cheap fix so explain the problem and ask for something that wont alter appetite or something to counteract that particular side efect of the meds.

As well as surgery being a physical restriction, it also acts as a mental catalyst and over time it can rearrange our long learned and 'hard wired' attitude to the kind of food we eat and to the portion size of that food.

Over more time we can "bypass our bypass" Not surgically or physically but mentally by our new attitudes slipping gently and quietly away from us.

This isn't greed or self indulgence, neither is it a cavalier attitude to our surgery - There are many reasons for the slip back to moving the scales up. Its impossible to guess which might have trigged who what where why and when!

I rather think returning to the liquid or mushy diet we have after surgery, and taking a few minutes each day / before meals to remember how you felt in the weeks and months after the initial surgery, remembering how if felt to look forward to a new figure, new clothes and so on might help in triggering the enthusiasm and motivation might reinvent your 'head stomach' and get it working in tandem with your tummy stomach, and kick start the weight loss/maintenance again.

I posted this bit of research result recently after another question about pouch size. I hope it helps and takes away a little bit of the stress re your own worries about pouch size. I found it on a reliable website by the way!

The very best of luck to you

"We then compared the weight loss of people with the known pouch size of each person, to see if the pouch size made a difference. In comparing the large pouches to the small pouches, THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE IN PERCENTAGE OF WEIGHT LOSS AMONG THE PATIENTS. This important fact essentially shows that it is NOT the size of the pouch but how it is used that makes weight loss maintenance possible."

Last edited:
thanks so much for taking the time to post. It really has made me think about things in more detail. Having a mental illness I am more prone to neglecting myself foodwise and looking after others before myself and in doing this I am not making good food choices.

I really am gonna try hard and then from Thursday when I'm off work again, I think I'll try a couple of days of liquids.

thanks so much for taking the time to post. It really has made me think about things in more detail. Having a mental illness I am more prone to neglecting myself foodwise and looking after others before myself and in doing this I am not making good food choices.

I really am gonna try hard and then from Thursday when I'm off work again, I think I'll try a couple of days of liquids.

Andrea try the couple of days of liquids if that is what you want to do... but what may help is to start a food diary.. i have done this since week 5 when i started on soft foods... im on normal diet and have been for a while now and im at week 15. I write down everything i eat... including high protein snacks.. then when i get 5 minutes i go on my fitness pal and jusr check i have had enough calories and enough protein. i also log all my fluids so i know ive had enough.
My guidelines say the following but i think its the same as most patients.. calories between 800 and 1200 and have over 60g of protein per day.
Good luck hun.. im sure with some support you will soon be back on track xx

Back