• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How soon can you fly after gastric by pass

I flew to Spain at not quite 6 weeks post op. I kept my surgical stockings & wore them under loose trousers, (removing them once we were in the hire car), just to be on the safe side & back again 2wks later. I'd worked with the dietitian to be on mainly solids by 4-5wks just a week or so ahead of their normal schedule. I took protein powders & had at least 1 a day to ensure I was ok physically to cope & kept sipping water in the heat. Some foods were a challenge but I was still on the start of our post op learning curve. My main victory was sitting in the seat on the plane with belt to spare where as 9mths before I'd struggled to do it up.
On the flight I rotated my ankles & flexed my legs as often as I could just to ensure I had no problems with my circulation it was only a short 2hr flight but I was of the mind better safe than sorry.
Hope this helps you.

Thank you for the information. I haven't had my op yet. But I have had my pre-op. My son is getting married in France in September and I'm convinced that the dates will clash.

Last edited:
Quite honestly I don't think there's any problem really with flying post bypass although banders do occasionally have to have a small de fill I believe but possibly more long than short haul flights. If in doubt check with your team as each seems to do things slightly differently. Also don't forget to add it to your travel insurance you may pay a slightly higher premium but better safe than sorry.

Hi I fly to Thailand with doctors ok 4 weeks after my op and everything was fine. I used Insure and go travel insurance who charged me £15 extra.

Back