• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how things are for me atm

julia in bath

well, now nearly 3 weeks post op and i have virtually no restriction. my band was put in with no inflation and i have to wait 6 weeks post op for mt first fill so going to phone tomorrow and make an appointment. I am eating half to one third of what i was pre op (using only will power) but weight loss has slowed and in fact where i was at 19 lb loss, today i am at 18lb loss. I wasn't too worried, then I was, lol and now after watching yesterdays fat doctor I feel ok again. Shaw Summers had 2 band patients, one had lost a stone a month post op and the other had stayed the same. So now I feel like i'm doing ok. I think i'm just a little worried because although i am eating far less than i was pre op, i know i'm eating too much for someone whose been banded. Using will power is keeping me in line to a point, but i ought to be eating less and I know my will power will only last so long before i crack.
This is a ramble but i wanted to check in and let you all know whats going on.

Honey I was exactly the same, its so frustrating isn't it!! What ever you do dont allow yourself to over-eat will power is the only thing you have at the minute to stop you from doing that. I found it awful hard I was so hungry and wanted everything but I just said to myself WHY would I want to put my weight back on only to have to loose it again in a few weeks its just pointless. If you find yourself looking for food and have nothing to distract you, go to the arcade section on here and play some games thats what I did when the children were sleeping or playing etc. You have done so well so far it would be a shame for you to put some weight on now after loosing so much, keep up the good work hun, I know what your going through

Kate x

You are doing fine! It takes at least one but usually several fills before you start to eat tiny amounts - just be patient and you will get there. BTW 18lb lost is great, many newbie bandsters gain!

You need willpower for the band to work at most levels of restriction, as you need to steer clear of slider foods, so keep up the good work!

Be patient and hope you get your first fill soon

Honey I was exactly the same, its so frustrating isn't it!! What ever you do dont allow yourself to over-eat will power is the only thing you have at the minute to stop you from doing that. I found it awful hard I was so hungry and wanted everything but I just said to myself WHY would I want to put my weight back on only to have to loose it again in a few weeks its just pointless. If you find yourself looking for food and have nothing to distract you, go to the arcade section on here and play some games thats what I did when the children were sleeping or playing etc. You have done so well so far it would be a shame for you to put some weight on now after loosing so much, keep up the good work hun, I know what your going through

Kate x

thanks very much Kate. Yup I really am working very hard to keep my eating to within sensible limits. I am also pinning my hopes on converting fat to muscle as i worked all day Friday (very physical job) and have been getting on the exercise bike every day. i just know i'm eating more than a bander should, but i'm being a very good girl with the food that i do eat. no snacks, 3 meals a day of low fat/carb meals. just the meals are a bit on the large side and i'm hungry lol.

You sound exactly like me a couple of weeks post op. all I can say is just keep doing what you are doing, it sounds like you are doing everything you can with willpower. My band had pretty much no restriction until my second fill last month. I know its such a pain in the bum thinking that youve gone through this operation and to be left feeling physically exactly how you did before. But hang in there, i promise, once the fills start coming you'll be losing steadily week in a week out :)

Last edited:
its normal to feel this way julia, most banders dont get a fill during there op which i was lucky to have recieved, which i did both times so i had restriction from the start, the fills will make a difference to what u can and cant consume, but it may take 2-3 fills to reach a good restriction level depending on the size of the fills given, dont worry restriction will come at a certain stage of your journey. well done on the weight loss so far !

liz xxx

As you have said you knew that this would be the case. BUt it is sooo hard using will power alone. I mean if we were good at will power none of us would need surgery in the first place.

I have had 3 fills and have 8.3ml in a 10ml band. I do have some restriction but know that it is not the sweet spot yet. Most of the 5 stone I have lost has been through pure will power. I have now not lost for nearly 2 weeks and am hungry a lot so I know i need a slight fill.

Hold in there you are doing great!!!

called the nurse with my provider (who does their fills) and said i know i have to wait 6 weeks post op and i'm only 3 but can i book for a fill for 3 weeks time and she said its actually 6-8 weeks! (make up your mind 6 OR 8?) and to phone nearer the time as she has loads of spaces. OK. then saw a lady at the school who was banded there in November, she's lost 4 stone and has good restriction on only one fill. thats 4 stone in 10 months, i want to loose it quicker than that!

called the nurse with my provider (who does their fills) and said i know i have to wait 6 weeks post op and i'm only 3 but can i book for a fill for 3 weeks time and she said its actually 6-8 weeks! (make up your mind 6 OR 8?) and to phone nearer the time as she has loads of spaces. OK. then saw a lady at the school who was banded there in November, she's lost 4 stone and has good restriction on only one fill. thats 4 stone in 10 months, i want to loose it quicker than that!

hi julia banding is a very slow form of weight loss surgery, 4 stone in 10 months is very good for a bander, it initially took me 18months to lose 7st. once restriction is good average loss per week is 1-2 llbs if the correct food choices are made. i know its frustrating but it does take a while.

liz xxx

hi julia banding is a very slow form of weight loss surgery, 4 stone in 10 months is very good for a bander, it initially took me 18months to lose 7st. once restriction is good average loss per week is 1-2 llbs if the correct food choices are made. i know its frustrating but it does take a while.

liz xxx
ok Liz, thanks for that, i thought it would be quicker! doh!

Hi hun cant offer u and advice but did not want to read and run, but congrats on the 18lbs hun thats fab xxxx

Hi Julia

Be strong hun, try and keep to the food choices you know are going to keep you full and those 3 weeks until your fill will fly by!

Maz x

Back