• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How to get back to basics and kick-start losing

phatgirl

I posted this same post in answer to a member's specific question but it occured to me that other people might want the same information, so here it goes.

"What do I do if I have had weight loss surgery, lost weight but not reached my goal weight? Additionally I have picked-up some bad habits and really have lost my way. What now?"

First do a little reading, here are some links:

This is a basic guideline to how to best use your surgery as a tool for weight loss.
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-faqs/69900-pouch-rules-dummies-informational-post.html

Here is a place to list what you eat every day, it can help you see where you are going wrong, also you can ask others for feedback on what you are eating.
for Bypass
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-recipes-forum/74487-gastric-bypass-daily-menus.html
for Band
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-recipes-forum/103934-band-daily-menus.html

Here is a nutritional guideline that many post-ops find helpful.
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-faqs/122957-post-op-dietry-questions.html

Here is a link to a site that offers a plan to help those who have gone off track with their pouch and need to get back to basics, it really works so give it a try!
Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

Don't forget that you have already had success with your weight loss, you should feel proud of that. Now you just need to get your head in order and start using you surgery as a tool again so you can start losing.

Have a look at the threads above and see if they can't help you make the most of your surgery. Please shout if you have any questions, there are always peeps around to offer support, advice and friendship.

The nutritionist and the bariatric nurse have both told me that some people never reach their target weight unless they exercise and diet like demons - you can get to about two or one stone off it and then finito without huge input from you - thats a bit dispiriting to be honest! To have come this far and not make target...

Just remember Caroline that 'some people' doesn't necessarily mean you ;) I have exercised very little, to be honest, hardly at all, a couple of gym sessions in over a year lol, and have got here. I'm physically disabled so exercise isn't easy.

Caroline, please remember that docs and nurses see people all the time who 'say' that they have done everything right but have not been able reach their goal weight. Therefore the statistics reflect a percentage of people who are unable to attain their target weight. Here where people tell it like it really is, you will find most people who do not reach their target weight in 2 years with a gastric bypass can pinpoint the eating habits that they have gone back to like grazing, eating junk/slider foods, drinking while eating, high consumption of alcohol and diets high in simple carbs.

Yes, it is absolutely *possible* that you could be the exception to the rule and do it all right and still not be able to lose as much as you wanted. However, it is unlikey and inprobable unless you have a specific medical condition that inhibits weight loss that you will be in that small percentage of people who don't reach target. In fact I was told due to my PCOS that I would have a slower rate of weight loss than others and perhaps I would not be able to lose all of my excess weight, however here I sit at 105% excess weight loss in 12 months.

So don't let the small percentage make you worry, you have more control over it than you think.

Nic:)

Hi Phatgirl,
As per usual you have provided very good information. I have been trying to get more information about nutrition cos even though I am still losing it has slowed and I fear that 6 stones will be my limit.
I know I should not complain as I recognise that the weight has come off fast so far.
Anyway I have increased my exercise and cut back on the grazing and am trying to drink more water and cut out the juices and carbs!!

Cheers

I wonder if one of the 'powers that be' could be Nik's post as a 'sticky' so that we can refer to it if, and when, we have questions.

Cracking post! Well in Nic and others x

Back