• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How Your Band Works

Ok guys,

I always thought your band worked by making a small pouch and when that was full you were full.

My surgeon told me to watch a film on You Tube called 8 Golden Rules by Paul O'Brien who is a band expert. If I were to follow his rules then I would get the most out of my band I was told. He has also written a book which includes these rules which THG recommend.

If you watch this (sorry dont know how to put link on, if anyone could help that would be great) then it flies in the face of what I thought. Soontobeyummymummy has also commented on these rules on a previous post.

So my mission for banders is to watch these 8 Golden Rules and post what they think.

Hi Chopster x Nice post.
My band is put in place with a definate pouch added though x http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-banders-faqs/135573-what-band-both-without-pouch-methods.html

Hmmm, perhaps this is a new thing as when Mr S showed me a model of a stomach and showed where he would put the band there was hardly any pouch at all. It is all confusing me totally and starting to do my head in as even on THG web site it implies the band works by creating a pouch.

Did you just sneak that link in???? Didn't notice it before - will have a read.

If I have no pouch as such then I can follow the 8 golden rules and drink when eating which just seems against everything everyone else says!!!!

There does seem to be two methods , as I said I definately do have a pouch stitched in as the pic shows xx I think people just have to ask how their band is being placed. I think I would prefer not to have a pouch actually!
Basic tips seem similar for each way though apart from the drinking and eating thing x

Last edited:
My head is hurting now! I am tempted to ring THG on Monday and find out which method I have but I would imagine Mr S has fitted the band without a pouch.

Yeah I think if he's told you to watch that video it seems likely you have that version! Confusing eh?
I didn't realise the new type existed til a month or two ago actually! I guess our surgeons tell us how to deal with their particular placement type which is why it's always best to double check anything worrying you with your own team first.

Yeah I think if he's told you to watch that video it seems likely you have that version! Confusing eh?
I didn't realise the new type existed til a month or two ago actually! I guess our surgeons tell us how to deal with their particular placement type which is why it's always best to double check anything worrying you with your own team first.

The thing is that the information pack given to me from THG suggests that they use the pouch method!!!!

I have emailed THG and asked them if they could find out! I know Katiebaby had her band fitted at Dolan Park the day before me but I think she had Mr Super.

It would be interesting if anyone on here has had a band recently by Mr Sigurdsson and was told to watch the 8 Golden Rules.

Last edited:
I watched these videos and was confused.com ( don't take much lol) when he sed there is no pouch above the stomach and the band stops u feeling hungry and doesn't restrict the flow of food, well that goes opposite everything my provider told me, he ( my surgeon) told me there is albeit a small pouch and it restricts flow of food and doesn't stop u from being hungry - The mind boggles lmao.

Ladies thats probably the method that particular surgeon uses - in Australia.

Chopster your team probably only told you to watch the golden rules thing to help you understand how to get the most from your band.

I suppose the benefit of the pouchless method is little or no fills? Australia is many years ahead of us in the band stakes. My step dads friend who lives in the land down under has had a band for over 15 years! x x x

Last edited:
I found it rather interesting that he states that if your not hungry in the mornings and u dont feel like breakfast dont eat it just have a cuppa tea/water/coffee etc........that would be me every morning and I do normally have a slim fast etc and I was always told 3 meals per day........and u know me laydee's / gents always follow my providers rules ( as I keep telling everyone else also,lol) xx

This is very interesting. From the advice I was given I am assuming I have a pouch. As I am experiencing a lot of pain at the moment I am going to ask if I can have my next fill under xray so they can check all is well. I wonder if the xray will tell if I have a pouch or not? I will also as WM to tell me - although it may take a while to extract an answer from them as they still think I am going to sue them:rolleyes:.

tranquil x

The Chopster said:
Hmmm, perhaps this is a new thing as when Mr S showed me a model of a stomach and showed where he would put the band there was hardly any pouch at all. It is all confusing me totally and starting to do my head in as even on THG web site it implies the band works by creating a pouch.

Did you just sneak that link in???? Didn't notice it before - will have a read.

If I have no pouch as such then I can follow the 8 golden rules and drink when eating which just seems against everything everyone else says!!!!

At my consultation they showed how mr sig does the band and it's a egg cup same as the 8 golden rules xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Ok guys,

I always thought your band worked by making a small pouch and when that was full you were full.

My surgeon told me to watch a film on You Tube called 8 Golden Rules by Paul O'Brien who is a band expert. If I were to follow his rules then I would get the most out of my band I was told. He has also written a book which includes these rules which THG recommend.

If you watch this (sorry dont know how to put link on, if anyone could help that would be great) then it flies in the face of what I thought. Soontobeyummymummy has also commented on these rules on a previous post.

So my mission for banders is to watch these 8 Golden Rules and post what they think.

Thankyou will have a look on sixth week post op feel like i hungery all the time had first fill 2ml last monday

Back