• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im confused, for a change.

Leesh

I wanted to ask about the "8 golden rules" by Dr O'Brien I think his name was. Someone mentioned them the other day, I looked them up and they have left me very confused.

At this point in time you would think that i have a good understanding about my band but I feel a bit ignorant really. Are there different kinds of bands? Not just sizes and makes but bands that are put in different places? Dr O'Brien explains that the band is placed at the top of the tummy and there is no pouch but I was told that I have a pouch about the size of an egg cup. I was told to eat slowly and that if I am doing anything wrong my body will let me know but the doctor says that you should eat one spoonfull a minute as the food takes that long to get through and if you eat too quickley you may stretch the area above the band without knowing.

I stopped watching the videos because they were stressing me out a bit as the advice was so different to what I have been told. I will ask my providers but just wondered if anyone else has found this?

He also goes on about only strictly eating three meals per day and skipping meals like breakfast if you are not hungry being fine. Im confused :confused:.

xxxx

If you have been told a certain set of guidelines by your provider hun, you stick to them. It probably means you have a small pouch created , like myself and Mazza for instance...but some people are now having bands placed without a pouch as such created and are being told to watch the video which would give guidelines suitable for them with that band method of placement.

There's the two described here...
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-banders-faqs/135573-what-band-both-without-pouch-methods.html

Ask your provider to confirm that you have the pouch so that you know what applies to you and what doesn't

Thanks Neen, you are a star x

that explains a lot. I am positive they told me I had a pouch but I will ask as you do need to treat the different band differently.

x

I was getting a bit concerned about the conflicting advice coming across on the forum as a result of the two methods being used on people.

I think we all need to remember that we haven't all got the exact same set up inside and so using our providers guidelines as the first point of reference is really important.

Everyone needs to confirm with their own team what they have in there , pay attention to the rules for that placement and be mindful of the fact that all members do not have exactly the same placement method as them before posting tips and advice.

Absolutely,

What is good advice for one bander may certainly not be for another. I nearly fainted when I read those rules! hehe, Im such a worrier. I hoped you were going say there was more than one method. I honestly thought that all bands were put in the same place.

x

Me too ! But as long as we individually know what we have in place then we can understand and use the advice that applies to us, or general advice say on nutrition and exercise etc...but not get confused by the pouch/no pouch stuff that has been circulating more and more and making everyone worry about what on earth they're meant to be doing!!

I think it should be evident to most people what they have from the guidelines given to them by their team..

It's common sense though people !! Just ask the team what you have if you aren't sure! xxx

I was banded by THG (Mr Sigurdsson) and he told me to watch it. When I did I was totally confused so phoned my patient coordinator who confirmed I did have a tiny pouch the size of a shallot and my band was at the very too of my stomach. This is the method Mr S prefers.

It is definitely worth checking with your provider to see which way you have been done. I am on my phone at the moment so can't see who did your op.

Back