• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I dumped last night

emmakc

OK, well I was reading one of my other threads and a lady said that she has no added sugar angel delight from tesco so I made up half a packet and ate it.

I don't really have any restriction yet so I managed to eat it and didn't feel anything strange, until about half hour later when I thought I was going to die. My heart was racing, I felt faint and sick and disorientated. It was awful.

Do you think its because I'm two weeks out of surgery that I can't have. Will this get better over time or will I never be able to eat anything "nice" again!!

Thanks.

PS definitely will never eat angel delight again lol

I've been told that sometimes you can tolerate a food one day and not the next. Like yesterday I was really struggling with milk, but today I am fine with it.

Are you sure you just wasn't sick? Ignore that ridiculous question I somehow missed the "My heart was racing, I felt faint and sick and disorientated. It was awful" that's classic dumping lol

I am 5 months post op and I've been sick many, many times, but I've never once had the dumping symptoms of feeling dizzy and sweating. I was telling one of my support team that I was "dumping" all the time but she soon realised that I was just being sick and not actually dumping. Here's what I nabbed off the interwebs about dumping:

Symptoms of dumping syndrome are most common during a meal or within 15 to 30 minutes following a meal. They include:

Gastrointestinal
Nausea
Vomiting
Abdominal cramps
Diarrhea
Feeling of fullness

Cardiovascular
Flushing
Dizziness, lightheadedness
Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate

Signs and symptoms also can develop later, usually one to three hours after eating. This is due to the dumping of large amount of sugars into the small intestine (hyperglycemia). In response, the body releases large amounts of insulin to absorb the sugars, leading to low levels of sugar in the body (hypoglycemia). Symptoms of late dumping can include:

Sweating
Hunger
Fatigue
Dizziness, lightheadedness
Confusion
Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate
Fainting

A study of more than 1,100 people who had their stomachs surgically removed found that about two-thirds experienced early symptoms and about a third experienced late symptoms of dumping syndrome. Some people experience both early and late signs and symptoms.

The only 2 symptoms that I've had from the list is Nausea and Vomiting... mind you I've had stomach cramps occasionally... maybe I've semi dumped lol

Last edited:
I've been told that sometimes you can tolerate a food one day and not the next. Like yesterday I was really struggling with milk, but today I am fine with it.

Yes, that's so annoying. When I was first out of surgery I had a plan to eat the same foods all of the time if they didn't make me ill. But I soon found that one day I could eat a food perfectly fine, and the next day it would make me as sick as a dog :mad:

I have dumped on sugar free angel delight . I was about a year out when I tried it again ....and dumped again.
I have given up trying now LOL

I'm not going to experiment and eat sugar free angel delight, but I'm wondering if it really is "sugar free", then what is it that's causing the dumping?! I shall investigate later at tesco's...

Wibble said:
I'm not going to experiment and eat sugar free angel delight, but I'm wondering if it really is "sugar free", then what is it that's causing the dumping?! I shall investigate later at tesco's...

When I dump from sugar I get sweats, heart pounding.. All of your symptoms. They are all typical dumping signs.I am 6 months out and if I even have a bit of sugar experience every dingle one of those symptoms ..

It isn't sugar free it's no added sugar which is huge difference lol

Do u think I'll have this with sugar for the rest of my life?

I meant NAS Angel delight :eek:
I am 2 1/2 years out and still have a problem with some but not all sugary things.
No one can say if you will have a problem forever. Every one is different.
But I would say I now have a healthy respect for anything that might make me dump.
I do indulge but with caution and I think that keeps me on the straight and narrow.
Knowing that I can have something sweet if I want to, is easier than saying no more sweets for the rest of my life.
After all forever is a long time
HTH

Wendy, that's my point exactly - forever is a very long time lol

My mum was "telling me off" for even having the angel delight in the first place as I'm trying to lose weight, whcih is right!

No you are still allowed treats that your body can handle. And in fact on my post op diet sheet nas angel delight was recommended! We are all different - keep trying things.

Wendy, that's my point exactly - forever is a very long time lol

My mum was "telling me off" for even having the angel delight in the first place as I'm trying to lose weight, which is right!

LOL at your Mom

2 1/2 years out and weighing in at 10 stone. I still get
"Should you be eating that?"

I was told by my team to try everything at least once and if it doesn't agree with me to try again in a couple of months

Totally off the subject sorry!! but lamornamiss I've just looked at your profile album pictures!! What an amazing difference from your before photos to now!! That really is an amazing achievement, just had to say congratulations on a terrific result... xxx

LOL at your Mom

2 1/2 years out and weighing in at 10 stone. I still get
"Should you be eating that?"

You gotta love mums. Mine's the opposite. She's trying to "feed me up"!
Honestly, for 15 years she's been telling me I'm too fat (really??!) and now I'm too thin. Try as I might, I obviously can't win :) Bless her.

Back