• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Yay, I dumped :-)

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
I know that most people will be baffled as to why I am happy about this so let me explain.
I get my strength to stay on the straight and narrow from my fear of dumping but I was kind of nervous in case I didnt dump, I was scared that further down the line I would lose my resolve and fall into old habits, I needed that fear of dumping and tonight I dumped mildly and my oh my have I got the fear in full flow lol
My hubby fancied something sweet so I threw a cake together for him and I totally forgot myself as I did and wiped a bit away and I tasted it, it was the tiniest little bit and I didnt even think about it.
About half an hour later I started to feel funny, I went hot suddenly and my heart started to pound and I felt really sick, in fact I felt as though if I moved I would throw up so hubby got me a bowl. I then got lower tummy pain too and had to go to the toilet and sat there with my bowl and had to stay there a little while and eventually managed to get back to the sofa. Ever since the op I have felt totally cold a lot and I have been today but the heat spreading through me warmed me nicely. Eventually I started to feel a bit better and got away with throwing up, there was alot of spitting involved but I didnt throw up.
I talked to a couple of people about it that are in the know and they comfirmed that it was indeed dumping.
I consider it to have been only mild dumping as I didnt actually vomit or have the runs but dumping is still dumping and I am thrilled!!!
Now I have had it confirmed that I do in fact dump and am so happy to have the fear well and truly instilled in me.
Steph xx

Sounds crazy! However, if It works for you, hurrah! I think it will be the one thing that would terrify me out of eating sweet stuff! xx

Thats my exact point hon, it feel so wretched to dump even mildly that I am terrified of it happening again so I will be extra extra vigilant about what I am doing with sugars. I have been really good about it up to now but I will just have to be that bit better now.
Steph xx

I dump too. I find the same as you that the dumping with sweet and fatty foods makes me watch what I eat. I have been wanting something sweet so today I went to the local market and got some sugarfree jelly worms...mmmmmmmmm they are lovely and gave me my sweet fix.

I know what you mean. Although I am sensitive to dumping, I am pleased. Eating sweets and chocolate was what made me fat in the first place and I don't care if I never ever have anything sweet again. When I feel the need for something sweet I have an Options hot chocolate, or two. I know other people use sugar free stuff, or diabetic chocolate, but I have an addictive personality and I don't want to find that I am hooked on that type of sweet stuff after all I've been through.

im the same its horrible but im glad i do otherwise id eat sweet stuff i know i would.. maybe not now but when im further out! i dump bad but tend to get the runs the next day so watch out for that! xx

Sitting here munching on the last shortcake biscuit in the pack, reading your post has made me so happy! I love sweets, biscuits, cake anything like that and my biggest fear is i wont dump! Having just read zetacatty's post about her slipping into bad habits over christmas with biccies etc i thought **** what if i can eat stuff like that still? Now my fear will be do i test if i dump or just live with the fear... too many fears, too many questions lol xxx

Well Im ok today, no effects from last night, all I feel today is crappy because I have woken up with a cold.
I am the same, I dont care if I can never have anything sweet again because I dont miss the foods that used to give me my fix, if I fancy anything sweet these days I will eat an orange or a suitable hot chocolate or even a fromage frai, my tastes are so much different now and things that I never used to consider as sweet are now my sweet fix, which thrills me.
Im still glad I dump though because I didnt want to be one of those unfortunate bypassers that could still eat 'crap'.
Thanks for the replies guys xx
Steph xx

I'm pleased for you Steph. To have it confirmed that you will dump (at least for now) is going to make your journey so much simpler. You have a great reason now to not eat sugar stuff. I wish I were the same, but I managed to eat the odd mince pie and small amount of xmas pud over xmas and just didn't get the symptoms. I wish I had, but thems the breaks. I just wish I hadn't tried them and was living in fear of the dumping.

John xx

Im a funny one because at Christmas I had some trifle and was fine with that and I have the odd few spoons of custard now and then (I have had about 5-6 spoons in the 3 months since surgery so not much at all) and was fine, have had about four TINY sips of Mcdonalds milkshake and about 2 spoons of plain vanilla icecream from Mcdonalds and none of it made me dump. I was going through a bit of a phase where I wanted to test myself on dumping but then I realised that it is a slippy slope to old bad habits and I stopped even trying. I am good for checking sugar contents (along with fat etc) and I avoid food with any more than 5g sugar in them, I rarely have that amount to be honest but that is my rule and I am doing really well with it and have been really impressed with myself because I am feeling so strong about not cheating or getting bad habits and sticking with good healthy foods and drinks.
Still, even with all that in mind I have been reading on here about people struggling further out from surgery and it really bothered me that I could struggle down the line too and I was so afraid that I would lose the fear but not now, now that it has happened, however mild it was, it felt horrible and now the fear is well and truly deeply embedded into me and I am very very confident that I can carry on as well as I am doing now, so I am still loving last night, even though it wasnt nice.
Steph xx

P.S Julie...pre-op I was a biscuit fiend, I couldnt just have one or two, if I did that then I would finish the packet and I literally had to not have any in and that HAS changed post op. Shortbreads were always my absolute favourite biscuit, the mere thought of them would have me drooling like crazy but post-op I dont miss them and cant imagine eating them now. My advice for you would be to not test the dumping, it is totally your choice but if you find out that you dont dump and that in turn leading to your downfall then you would soooo regret it, if you need that fear, as I do, then dont test it xx

Dawn...I had read that dumping can sometimes feel like a hypo and so I expected that I would feel the same way as I used to during a hypo if I ever dumped, but I didnt, it felt very different. I dont know if a more severe dump would cause me to feel the same as a hypo but a fairly mild dump (Im classing it as mild because I didnt faint or vomit violently, just hot and cold, felt VERY sick and I spat up saliva quite a bit, had some mild trots and my heart pounded) didnt feel anything like a hypo to me. During a hypo, which I used to get a lot of at one point (God bless diabetes!!!) I would get dizzy and feel faint and would get fidgety and nervous and feel sick but yesterday felt so much different to that. So I really dont know what hypos and dumping feel like to other folks so I cant really advise on that.
Steph xx

Oh grief, I don't dump.... not with sugars anyway, did with fatty food (tried cheese & it made me dump), but have to be VERY careful not to slip into old habbits..... my biggest fear is that I've been through this & not gonna loose the weight.... I have lost 1 & half stone in the six weeks since surgery... knew my loss would be slower as I am unable to excercise, although I do the best i can to keep moving... I wonder if its gonna be enough...
I'd love to hear from you "Fat Again" as your local to me & you seem to have the same probs as me...

Totally understand the excitement Steph. Hoping that I experience dumping too for exactly the same reason...FEAR!

Lisa x

Back