• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will it always be like this?

emmakc

Apologies for sounding like a moaner (again), I just wanted to ask you veterans what life is like way down the line.

I'm not even three weeks post op yet and although I'm losing weight, which was the plan, right now if I could I'd not have had this done.

Although I'm not hungry, that doesn't mean I don't want to eat - which obviously I can't. I dumped badly on the no added sugar angel delight (never having that again) and last night I had a small bit of mash with grated cheese and gravy and felt really ill afterwards for about 1.5 hours.

I'm still on puree stage and I've gone back to work today (three days a week office based). I don't actually feel too bad, but I must admit I was kinda under the impression that I would eventually be able to eat anything just smaller portions.

Is this true? Or it is more likely that I'll never be able to have things with sugar in it or fat - life is looking pretty miserable at the moment thinking that I'll never be able to have any of the foods I've always enjoyed before.

Please don't give me a lecture about those foods getting me here - I realise that, its just a bit miserable thinking never again.

Sorry for the post being so down, I'm just feeling pretty down in the dumps at the moment. I kinda rushed into this surgery and I think I glossed over the bad bits.

I'm finding it very hard cooking for the family and not being able to eat anything. After the dumping episode I'm also very scared to start eating.

It's a very big adjustment emma to life post bypass. It so depends on the individual I think, as to how and what they can eat as time goes on... I personally can already eat pretty much anything, but in much smaller portions, but certainly can't manage bread, pasta, or rice type foods as they are too stodgy for me, and am too scared to try anything too high in sugar or fat for fear of dumping.. I also know of a lot of people who have issues with high sugar and high fat foods and also bread, pasta rice etc., So it really will just depends on your own tolerance I think.. You must remember it is very early days yet for you, and things will improve for you as time goes by I'm sure.. But when all is said and done, bypass surgery is a life changing experience... I have a totally different relationship with food now than I used to have, I find I have lost most of my sweet tooth thank goodness, and enjoy healthier options now, and I'm sure you will find the same further down the line.
I know it's easy to say, but try not to let it all get you down too much.. Just think of all that lovely weight you are losing.. xxx

It's natural to feel like that I dumped real bad on like week 2 on a smoothie. But it gets better just takes a little time the first 2-3 months were the hardest. As time goes on you will lose the fear on everything you eat will make you dump. Although 9 months on for me it's still in the back of my mind. I like you thought why have I done this to myself I've made a huge mistake but it gets so much easier just stick with it and remember your body and mind have gone through major changes once it all catches up & gets used to it, you will love your bypass. Keep your chin up & don't be so hard on yourself you've done an amazing brave thing xx

Oh yea and as for dumping on sugar/fats it does get easier. I still struggle with sugars but stick with low calorie/weight watchers things if I do need something sweet. I'm ok with fats and eat pretty much what everyone else eats just a smaller portion xx

Emma, if you look at some of my first posts, post-op you will see that I felt the exact same way as you do, I had a really hard time after surgery and thought that I had made the biggest mistake of my life!
5 months down the road I have no problems at all, apart from the thinning of hair which I hope is a passing thing.
I can eat pretty much anything that I want, and foods that I couldn't eat a month or so ago like, rice and bread I am able to eat now.
Having a gastric bypass doesn't mean that you can NEVER eat some of the foods that you enjoyed before. You just have to adjust to your new plumbing and get yourself recovered and you can have a little bit of foods with fats in, but you first have to learn not to use foods as a crutch or a reward/comfort and in time knowing that you can eat a small amount of "naughty" foods will not make them seem forbidden and leave you lusting after them.
I never had much of a sweet tooth before my surgery and now I find I can't stand the taste of really sweet things. I feel like sweet food has been injected with a 100%surger increase.
There are plenty of healthy options out there for you to have when you're at the right stage to try them. You can also adapt favourite recipes by making them lower in fat but just as tasty! In a few months time you will look back on your post and smile.
That's what I do when I see my early post-op posts.
Get past the first 3 to 4 months and you will be fine. Having a bypass only deals with a small percent of problems that people who overeat have. It's down to us to fight the head hunger and the idea that we're being deprived because we can't eat the way that we used to.
Most people who opt for any type of WLS don't go into it lightly, and it's usually the last option for many of us. There's not that much information about how to cope with our feelings post-op and there's nothing to really prepare us for the few brutal months of struggles ahead, but once you get through the toughest part of the recovery process , life becomes a joy once again, you start to love the person who stares back at you in the mirror, you have more energy and a new zest of life.
I basically lived like a hermit before my op, I hated myself, I was too ashamed to go out, I hid away from friends and family and just wanted to curl up and die. My bypass is the most wonderful gift (aside from my daughter)that I've ever been bless with.
I have many days of struggles still, some days I want to use food as a crutch or a comfort and I know that I can't, and I won't ever go back to how life used to be for me. Once you are better and start occupying yourself with new activities and exercise,fitting into smaller dress sizes, etc you will be the person replying to a post like this to someone who feels as you do now ;)
Just be strong and keep the faith. You had your bypass for a reason and you now have the opportunity to show your body and mind who's in control of what you put in your mouth and the way that you treat your body. It's time to kick butt and regain control!
I hope that you feel better soon, and just know that a lot of us have all been through this at some stage in our recovery period and know from experience that things do get better and that you have to be strong of mind to get yourself in the right place that you need to be :)

In one word NO it won't be like that forever
When you are going through it everything seems to take a long time and you wonder if you will ever be "normal" again.
Things will get better as time goes on.
I now have fish and chips which I never thought I'd ever eat again.
I can only eat one slice of bread instead of 2 or 3. And defenitaly no crusts
I still can't tolerate eggs
I can eat most things in moderation.
My 8 year old eats more than me at meal times and has great fun in telling me off for not eating all of my dinner LOL
I now eat like a skinny person not a over weight person.
Be patient. It will happen

I have posted this on another of your threads
I am 2 1/2 years out and still have a problem with some but not all sugary things.
No one can say if you will have a problem forever. Every one is different.
But I would say I now have a healthy respect for anything that might make me dump.
I do indulge but with caution and I think that keeps me on the straight and narrow.
Knowing that I can have something sweet if I want to, is easier than saying no more sweets for the rest of my life.
After all forever is a long time
HTH

Thanks ladies - they defintely don't let you know how hard it is. At the moment, I feel sick after I eat - and that's a few spoons of mash potato and soup, I'm definitely not drinking enough and life pretty much sucks - I'm praying that you're right and I'll look back at this in the future and smile lol Thanks and sorry for moaning all the time x

emmakc said:
Thanks ladies - they defintely don't let you know how hard it is. At the moment, I feel sick after I eat - and that's a few spoons of mash potato and soup, I'm definitely not drinking enough and life pretty much sucks - I'm praying that you're right and I'll look back at this in the future and smile lol Thanks and sorry for moaning all the time x

We all need a moan, when things get you down so don't be sorry x x

emmakc said:

I felt sick a lot and I hate being sick, it gets better. I'm four years on and no one would have known how big I was or that I'd had surgery. I blend in pretty well!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

3 weeks is really early post op. Your new tum is still adjusting to the surgery and this affects what you can eat. You are also adjusting and going through a 'bereavement' stage where you naturally mourn for things you feel you have lost. Its so different as you get further and further out. I don't dump much at all and can manage anything. However some foods have 'side effects' shall we call them. I will never forget the night in a posh hotel I decided to have cheese and biscuits and lots of it from room service. My gawd did I explode, some rushed washing and drying of sheets on the radiator for me that night...lesson learned. Nearly 4 years on I love my bypass and did from the start even though I had some regrets at around your stage as I felt so tired all the time. Give yourself a few weeks and you will feel very different. Good luck

M

You will get there, I am 1 yr 2months post and I can eat most things, very rare I have dry bread, prefer it toasted, dumped on oj last night not had that for a while or the dumping but still trial and error but I never go with out have been out for loads of meals just bring stuff home and have it the next day. xx You'll move on from this we have most of us, thought n felt like this in the early days. xx

Like Chrisa I'm 15mths post & have dump foods some I'm aware of others come as a surprise & are sometimes safe foods other times foods I move avoided & try again work.
I've just managed home cooked rice for the first time on months after it continued swelling in my pouch & made me feel ill months ago, bread I have to be careful as it can suddenly mean I can't eat bread that day or longer. Pasta I limit to for the same reason as rice. Ready meal rice works in small amounts but I try to limit those for the hidden ingredients but one single meal will do two meals. My plastic pot comes to for meals out & feeds me sometimes for another two meals. Life & normal foods does return & yes normal foods are just smaller quantities but its a learning curve that shifts according to your pouches mood.
I was given a guide by the dietitian that follows the red, amber & green traffic light system, anything with fats or sugars in the green is great anytime, amber depends on your pouch but is safe for occasional use, the use level affects the speed of weight loss, red is a no no & to be avoided as much as possible because its likely to cause a dump but not always for everyone. Hope that helps, take it easy eat safe foods you are secure with for work try new things at home until your confident.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

It does get better, just takes time and patience. Don't rush yourself and remember your still healing.

Im nearly 3 years post op and still dump from time to time. I can eat most foods now just small portions. Also I can now have treats, i.e. chocolate, cake and crisps, its great I feel like a "Normal Person".

Week 3 I was still only on soup and milky coffees, didn't atempt mash till week 5. I also sucked alot of ice lollies, they really helped.

Back