• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I Feel A Fraud

northernwoody

Like most people, I have had an issue with my weight most of my life. I have done every diet going and failed at them all, I have seen numerous dieticians and have been given reduction and xenical with no success. Then I joined Slimming World last year. Finally I found something that suited me and I lost nearly 2st

Then the losses stopped and for months I just plateaued even though I was following it to the letter. I soon got sick of paying £4.95 a week for nothing and my consultant seemed to lose interest in me.

In total desperation and devastation I went to see a dr at my practice in June 2011 who was amazing!

He went through many options with me and then referred me for surgery.

6/9 - attended a bariatric seminar at north Tyneside.
It was heart breaking, I was probably the lightest there, people were in wheelchairs, sticks, had terrible breathing and some obviously in great pain.
I felt I had no right to be there, until the consultant used the phrase 'volume eater', at last I found my pidgeon hole. I was eating great stuff but far too much of it.

I came away frightened, but positive.

Later that month I went to a food for thought seminar, which started on the 24/10 and runs until 19/12.

On the 15/11 my appointment with the sp nurse came, I had lost 5kg since the initial seminar. The nurse was very happy with me, we completed the paperwork and said that I would hear next for an appointment with the consultant.

An appointment came through last week for April 2012, saying the March one was cancelled. I hadn't got an appointment for march, so gave them a ring only to be told that there was a cancellation for 23/2/12! There is a fair chance I could get my surgery by may 2012.

I feel so guilty, I am at the lower end of the weight spectrum, yet everything has happened so fast and some people have been struggling for years to get anywhere. My emotions are all over the place.

Dont be silly hun I felt like that at first cos I only started my journey in July 2010 and I had my op in Oct 2011 it all depends on all the other people that was there they may have problems that the consultants have to work with. I just ate crap all the time so I know where u are coming from. Good luck on yr journey hun and think positive xx

I know exactly where you're coming from hun. (I'm even under Mr Woodcock).
I'm "ONLY" 15 stones now and started out at 17. As the man himself said I'm a tiddler compared to his usual patients.
BUT I need the operation just as much as they do. You wouldn't be this far in your journey or accepted by the team if they didn't think you needed it.
When I went to see Mr Woodcock and got my surgery date, I expressed the same opinion you do and he told me that out of the 20 or so people at the seminar only 2 of us had made it to surgery. The rest were given the same opportunity but didn't want it enough.
I'd just advise you to think of how much YOU need this & how much YOU want this. YOU'RE the only person that matters in YOUR journey.
If you need to talk, there are 3 of us at the same stage at Rake Lane who come on this board. If you need anything drop me a line!!
Chin up & well done. It'll be here before you know it..
xx

If weight is ruining your life then it is important!
I have the guilt of getting my funding very fast compared to so many others but we just have to accept this gift and do it justice :)

Hi

I too was relatively healthy eater but ate too much. I like the term volume eater doesn't sound so harsh. Realistically though some habits are too difficult to break. After years of no win dieting (losing it then gaining it back and some), trying smaller plates and hypnotherapy even whilst going through the WLS process. I realised that I would never ever be successful in losing and maintaining on my own.

At this stage I am relatively healthy as in not diabetic or heart troubles or a lot of other ailments that come with being morbidly obese. However I have lower back ache, bad knees and swollen sore feet. I figured at my age of forty it wasn't going to get any better only worse.

You have to do this for yourself and try not compare your situation with other people as everyone's situation and reasons for surgery differ.
I am one week post op sleeve and already after losing a bit weight on pre and post op realise it was the best thing I could have done for 'myself'. Knees and feet are already easing.

Think about what you want for your future. The support on here is fab and will help you decide. Good luck xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Like most people, I have had an issue with my weight most of my life. I have done every diet going and failed at them all, I have seen numerous dieticians and have been given reduction and xenical with no success. Then I joined Slimming World last year. Finally I found something that suited me and I lost nearly 2st

Then the losses stopped and for months I just plateaued even though I was following it to the letter. I soon got sick of paying £4.95 a week for nothing and my consultant seemed to lose interest in me.

In total desperation and devastation I went to see a dr at my practice in June 2011 who was amazing!

He went through many options with me and then referred me for surgery.

6/9 - attended a bariatric seminar at north Tyneside.
It was heart breaking, I was probably the lightest there, people were in wheelchairs, sticks, had terrible breathing and some obviously in great pain.
I felt I had no right to be there, until the consultant used the phrase 'volume eater', at last I found my pidgeon hole. I was eating great stuff but far too much of it.

I came away frightened, but positive.

Later that month I went to a food for thought seminar, which started on the 24/10 and runs until 19/12.

On the 15/11 my appointment with the sp nurse came, I had lost 5kg since the initial seminar. The nurse was very happy with me, we completed the paperwork and said that I would hear next for an appointment with the consultant.

An appointment came through last week for April 2012, saying the March one was cancelled. I hadn't got an appointment for march, so gave them a ring only to be told that there was a cancellation for 23/2/12! There is a fair chance I could get my surgery by may 2012.

I feel so guilty, I am at the lower end of the weight spectrum, yet everything has happened so fast and some people have been struggling for years to get anywhere. My emotions are all over the place.
Hiya I feel exactly the same . WW's worked best for me thou couldn't get on with SW.
I went to my GP in may this year saw the nurse dietitian and surgeon all in the one day had my bloods done and then got a letter saying come in for surgery this Nov 29th. I feel quite bad cos there are so many people that have been waiting years and are in a lot of pain. I hope you feel a bit better now knowing you're not on your own! Good luck with your surgery :) xx

Just feel blessed :) Everything happens at the right time for the people it should happen to. Enjoy your time! :)

Hi Honey, Don't feel in the least bit guilty as the surgeons are taking into consideration the health problems you may encounter without the surgery & if they can be avoided then it is a win win situation. Chin up & be happy xxxx :):)

I know how you feel, i too am at the lower end of the weight spectrum for wls. I was over 21st but when I had my surgery I was 18st 10lb. Everyone says I don't look big enough to need it. I know that's because I am tall though and had already lost 3 stone. I actually think it makes more sense to do the surgery at a lower weight as it makes it safer. I know that my diabetes has already improved and my blood sugars are near normal after just one week!

Welcome n good luck ;) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back