• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I have booked my Consultation!

Sappho

Well I have bitten the bullet and booked a consultation with Mr Mannur in London. Excited and nervous (although more nervous about spending that much money!!) What sort of questions did you ask on your consultations?

Well done you.

Mini posted this list of questions in another thread so Ive lifted them!

Questions to Ask:

• How many years have you been a bariatric surgeon?
  • Are you a board-certified bariatric surgeon?
  • Are you a member of ASBS (American Society of Bariatric Surgery)?
  • How many and what type of weight loss surgeries do you perform each year? (Shows overall skill level)
  • Based on my personal health and weight, what surgery do you recommend for me?
  • What are the advantages of this procedure?
  • What are the disadvantages of this procedure?
  • What are the risks of weight loss surgery?
  • What are the risks of this procedure?
  • How many of my type of surgery (lap-band, gastric bypass, DS) have you performed? (An experienced surgeon should have done at least 250 of your procedure)
  • Do you perform the surgery laparoscopically or open? (If possible, laparoscopic surgery has a quicker recovery)
  • Will you perform the procedure, or an assistant?
  • Will you be in the operation room during the entire procedure?
  • Where will the surgery be performed?
  • Is the hospital or clinic a Center of Excellence?
  • How many people on the entire medical team?
  • Is everyone of the medical team licensed?
  • What pre-op testing will be done?
  • What post-op testing will be done?
  • Why don't you recommend the other procedures for me?
  • What changes will I be expected to make with regards to diet and exercise?
  • Do you have an insurance and/or financial coordinator available to patients?
  • Do you have a nutritionist available to patients?
  • Do you have a psychologist available to patients?
  • Do you have a support group for patients?
  • Do you have someone I can call if I have a question during non-office hours?
  • What is expected weight loss?
  • Ask for specific statistics regarding complications and outcomes with your particular type of surgery. They should be willing to provide the information and not try to hide any negative results.
  • If lap band surgery, what type of band? (Inamed or Johnson & Johnson)
  • Are you certified with that type of band?
  • Regarding lap band surgery, what is rate of infections? (should be less than 1%)
  • Regarding lap band surgery, what are your slip statistics? (should be less than 3%)
  • Regarding lap band surgery, what are your erosion statistics? (should be less than 1.3%)
  • Regarding lap band surgery, are fills included in post-op care? If not, what is the cost for a fill? (many doctors provide fills for the first year if they perform the surgery)
  • Do you have patients who are willing to share their experiences with me?
Its from a US site but the questions are relevant

Good luck with your consultation.

good luck ask loads of questions, dont let them rush you, my surgeon was abit intimidating listing his stats and that i felt i couldnt ask him anything luckily everything went wellbut if i could do that again, i would defo take that list of questions and ask all of them

Good luck with your appointment - i'm a bander and it's worth every penny i paid & i'm sure your feel the same once you've had you bypass:) :) :)

Oh good luck... I am still dithering... just trying to confirm my loan, then I will go for it! - do you know how long from 1st consultation before surgery??
I am thinking people pay a lot more for a car... this is far more important! ;-)

Hi Sapho

I sort of went blank and didnt really ask anything when I first met with Mr Mannur

This was due partly because I forgot my list and also caz I have some memory probs lol.

The list caroline posted of minis is a good guide :)

Mr Mannur has a good reputation so you will be in good hands

Good luck with it all Xx

Hi Sappho, good luck for your consultaton. I took a notebook full of questions with room underneath for all the answers. My consultant didn't mind at all x

I think it's a great to have a list that you feel comfortable with, look at everyone else's list and take the questions you feel are relevant to you. You are paying for this consultation so make sure you get your monies worth.

I think when you meet your surgeon you will know if you feel confident in him doing your opp very quickly. I didn't take a list with me but Mr Patel kept saying so you would like to know this etc etc, and I just felt so confident in his ability. A lot of this might be down to another site I'm on where there are a lot of patients of his who I had spoke to before my consultation so already had a lot of my answers.

I hope your consultation goes well.
Jeanx

Hi I had my surgery with Dr Mannur in Aug, he did 4 op's that day (band,band removal &gastric bypass, gastric bypass & sleeve all on the nhs and he did a very good job on us all !! good luck

Good luck from me too and as you are funding the op yourself make sure you ask what exactly is covered with your bariatric surgery package.

Cuppa xx

I'm with Mr. Mannur too - he seems nice enough and has a lot of experience. What London Hospital are you going to? I have my surgery with him on the 6th November (had my first appointment with him on the 6th October) at Spire Roding which is on the Essex/London border.

Thanks guys, I will def have a notebook and list and look through all the suggestions, my appoint is 7th Nov. The hospital is in east london (the name escapes me as it is in my WLS folder at home - I am at work lol) I am a bit scared but excited. I think I will trust my gut (sorry for the pun) instinct with Mr Mannur but I think if I feel rushed that will def put me off and I will go to plan B (Healthier Weight - Mr Patel). I have told a couple of people but they think it is on the NHS, why do I feel so guilty about taking out a loan??!!

Hi Sappo, I have just been for my first consultation today. You are right in what you say about trusting your gut instinct. My surgeon is going to be Mr Small in Washington Spire and he was a lovely man. Never rushed me, answered all my questions and I felt comfortable and able to trust him and that is so important. Like you I am going privately and having to fund the surgery but dont feel gulity about it. You deserve it and just think if you are anything like me how much money you have wasted over the years on slimming pills, patches, slimming clubs, cambridge diets and all the fancy foods that goes with them only at the end of it to either not lose much weight or not be able to keep it off. This is an investment in your life and what could be more important. Why is it people dont seem to think twice about buying a new car for £12K or more yet we feel guilty about paying for surgery that will totally change our lives, improve our health and lengthen out lives. As long as you are doing the right thing for you nothing else matters!!

Lorna

Back