• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I just don't get it - help

inca10012

OK, so since the start of my pre-op diet (5 weeks ago) I have lost 26lbs, it's been 3 weeks since my operation.

Last week I only lost a pound and now I am on mushy I got on the scales this morning and I have put 1 pound on, I am eating 600 calories max a day, I just don't get it?

Why have I put weight on and why have I stopped losing - is it time to incorporate exercise or is there another reason for this?

Can anyone explain? Feeling really down today.

I lost 10lbs on pre op and came home from hospital to find I'd put 4lbs on when not even eating!!

I know, wish I could understand it more. Good luck by the way - we will get there in the end (fingers crossed).

It's normal I stalled one week and even gained 2 lb one week, don't stress it will come off and more :) I was advised to stay away from exercise until 6 weeks post op then bring it in gradually x

I'm not sure about how a band works, Mazza seems the resident expert on that from what I can see - and I'm sure she will be along shortly (or one of the other bandits who clearly know their stuff) From memory - which isn't reliable at my age - I seem to recall reading stuff about your first fill and finding the right restriction for you. A small gain can be anything, like your menstrual cycle for example, or you not eating enough so your body holds on to its calories as it goes into starvation mode.

So early in, I'd not panic but you are right to seek advice and I'm sure it will be on its way soon.

Kitty, it is very early for you and your body has been through a massive trauma. You will have internal swelling etc. It will be rolling off before your eyes before you know it. Follow the hospitals advice and listen to your new pouch, baby steps at this stage x

We need to move away from just thinking calories and start getting our heads round nutrients and protein. Time to look after ourselves x
Wishing you both lots of luck with your recoveries and journey to the new you.

Thanks for the advice early days I know.

Yes it's definitely early days. It takes your body some time to adjust. Do what your provider guides you to do. I and probably most other ganders have stalled at one point or another. I found when I increased my calories the weight loss speeded up again! Don't let one or two weeks get you down! Otherwise the self sabotaging could kick in. Stick with it x

Hello there

your very early pre op concentrate on your recovery :)

also 600 calories is not a lot to keep you going, maybe your
body has gone into panic mode and is holding onto your reserves. Make sure u drink plenty of fluids and you eat your 3 mushy meals a day and the rewards will follow, as hard as it is try not to get disheartened as I said its early day. Wishing you all the best Julie xx

I gained 3lb about 2 weeks post op, I'm sure you can find my freaked out post about it somewhere too! It turned out to be simple dehydration. Once I started really pushing in those fluids I lost those 3lbs plus one more.

Thanks for the advice, I really need to drink more as well. I think my body is in panic mode to be honest, it saw that I was eating mushy and said I am not letting go of this. I have just got to calm down a bit and remember it went on over 10 years not 10 days and be patient, I am not good at being patient lol - i want it NOW!!!

Initally when you lose weight its glucose and water which goes 1st, its around your body and in your muscles. Keep on dieting and your body starts tapping into its fat stores, but fat is harder to get at and has 3x more energy than glucose.
Thats why most people do really well on the pre op, your now trying to shift the fat.
Keep on creating a deficit and the weight will come off.

Kim

Back