• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

If you could offer one bit of advise what would it be.

Phabbsy1

If you could offer one bit of advice to someone who is waiting for their surgery date, what would it be?

Do as much as you possibly can pre surgery, to help yourself post surgery. For example, I wish I'd cut down my portions and given up fizzy drinks before I had my surgery :)

Oh god yeah, I do like fizzy, better cut that out. Wow look at you profile pic Paula, that's amazing, what have you lost? X

paula is bang on ive done the same I now use a smaller plate, only drink fizzy water(that will go after the op)cut out snacking as much as possible ,try to remember mindful eating make up food ,freeze portions away so I keep control and don't over eat and do as much research as you can good and bad so you have a balanced view then read up on links here ....phew! hope that is of some help....ps look up on you tube some good stuff there too one called
[Part 1 of 4] Introduction - The Eight Golden Rules - YouTube
hope that link works its cut into 4 bits its worth watching too,
good luck

I ate every single favourite meal and treat I loved over the 2 weeks before the pre-op diet and had massive Xmas roast on the last day! I don't regret it, was like my goodbye to old me :)

I would say do research, research, research and write down a list of any resulting unanswered questions as the first appointment with your surgeon might be overwhelming for many reasons. Listen to their advice re which procedure they advise you to have (this is one time in life when someone of their experience will know better than you), and do not ignore or contradict any instructions given by them. And finally for WLS to work your head has to be totally in the zone and as Paula has said you need to start work putting it there from the second the journey starts - for me that was the day I made the decision to go for surgery. I had supported my best friend through his bypass eight years ago (was with him through his six years on the w/list, walked down to theatre with him, and was in HDU waiting when he returned, and every step of the way after) and despite all my experience and research, NOTHING prepared me for how challenging the first weeks after the bypass were going to be. You will be saying goodbye to your best friend and worst enemy, and your body post-op will not allow any negotiation. Stick to your pre-op liver shrinking diet like glue.

I am nearly 5 months post bypass and have been obese since a toddler (am now 50). I now eat a wide range of foods just not much of them. I have lost 5.5stone - in real terms size 22/24 to 16. I could not be happier.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with whatever you decide. If it's a bypass then from experience I can say you will not regret it x

Just editing to add that I see you are having a bypass - hurrah!! xx

im still date waiting i have 6 foods i havent had in forever due to dieting and my goal is to have piece of each b4 surgery for that last goodbye but do research and more research and get as much info as you can

That's the spirit Adele x

You know there are lots of us here if/when you've got questions. Great to see too, how quickly you will start supporting others coming-up behind you!

This is a great forum. Use it (another bit of late advice). I found it about three weeks after my bypass - man, were those four weeks pre-op and three post a lonely journey! So wish I'd found it sooner x

I intend to use it, it's the getting used to it thing, I normally don't do forums, I find them confusing lol, I'm slowly getting there with it tho haha :) x

i have found this forum invaluable for advice and support and it was my dietician who gave me the addy for it so owe her a major thanks when i see her next

i have found this forum invaluable for advice and support and it was my dietician who gave me the addy for it so owe her a major thanks when i see her next
that's brilliant, I was given some info, only I can't remember what was on it :-( probably this forum tho :) x

I'm with lilacglittergirl - you can't do too much research. This is a brilliant resource because there are so many stories on here. I joined when I started my pre-op and read as much as I could so that I knew what to expect. Not just the glossy brochure version, but real people's experience. I'm sure that's one of the reasons I'm finding the journey relatively smooth:)

I'd say give yourself a head start, like the others said, you have a limited window of opportunity after the operation and the more you do yourself beforehand will just mean you have less to lose afterwards.

Buy a pretty wide rimmed bowl that makes everything you put in it look fab, also a pretty pair of Japanese chopsticks.Then every time you eat a (small) meal it will give you pleasure.

Hi I would say don't worry about missing goods. I ate everything and anything thinking the end was near. And it was totally unnecessary as I can eat anything still, just not a lot of it! I not missing anything. Eating out is fine and still enjoyable.
I stopped the fizzy drinks and don't miss them at all now. That was a good move.
I would say buy dresses (jersy) as you get more wear out of them when changing sizes than trousers and enjoy shopping!!
I have had an easy ride compared to some and can honestly say having a bypass has been easier than lighter life or the Cambridge diet that I have done in the past.
Good luck and enjoy the positive journey x

Back