• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ileostomy Lady Waiting for my Sleeve Op in August

purplepansyem

Crazy Cat Lady ;)
Hi, my name is Emma, I'm a 45 year old mother of two grown girls, I'm happily married and I'm excitedly waiting for my Sleeve op on 23rd August 2014.

I initially asked for a bypass but because I have an Ileostomy, I was told I would not be suitable. I'm having my op at St. Anthony's in Cheam and my consultant is based at St. Georges in Tooting.

I'm looking forward to reading about other people's journeys and posting on the boards :D

Hello Emma
welcome to a great place everyone is so keen to support all and you are made so welcome too.
good luck with everything

Hi emma...I'm having a sleeve on the 7th July! That is as long as my surgeon doesn't go in and find too many adhesions in my abdomen. I had a right side colectomy following a tumour in my bowel. I'm keeping everything crossed that it's ok. Welcome to the site...There is so much fabulous info on here xx

Hi fento01 I'm looking to having a sleeve done soon, and I had my gall bladder removed years ago leaving me with a lovely scar right down the middle, I haven't seen surgeon yet seeing him on Thursday. How will they decide if you need more invasive surgery do you know

Last edited:
Hi fento01 I'm looking to having a sleeve done soon, and I had my gall bladder removed years ago leaving me with a lovely scar right down the middle, I haven't seen surgeon yet seeing him on Thursday. How will they decide if you need more invasive surgery do you know

Hi...I too have a scar right down my middle. I haven't got a colostomy bag though, the operation was a colectomy which means they took a lot of my bowel away. The surgeon wanted me to have an endoscopy to take a look for adhesions, but because I'm a big baby I couldn't face having it whilst awake. So he decided to do a CT scan. The next time I went to see him I was all excited thinking he would be able to say with confidence yes or no but he still felt the scope needed to be done. So he's booked me in to go ahead next Monday but on the previso that he may not be able to do it if there are too many adhesions (he'll do the scope first while I'm under). When I went to my pre-op last week the nurse read off the screen, remove of adhesions and gastric sleeve'. I asked her what she thought and she felt that for him to have me in and put me under etc etc means that the odds are stacked in my favour (because of the expense of it I suppose) she said that he must feel confident that it will be a success. I must say I'm worried in case he can't go ahead, it'll be horrible waking up wondering if I've been 'done' or not!!

Have you been told that they may have to do in differently, full on open surgery? I must say, I know it may mean a longer recovery and possible complications but as long as it meant he could do it I wouldn't mind!

Xx

Hi no, no one has even mentioned it, they took my history as they do it's only my own detective work that made me aware that a different way may have to be done. Which is worrying me. I don't want it to hold thing up but on the plus side I do have a very nasty scar and it could do with tidying up lol I will have to see what he says on Thursday. I had the first really bad dream last night about it all going wrong and this is all before I have seen him so fingers crossed. Have they discussed an alternative if you can't have the sleeve done,would you only be offered a band because of your surgery. Good luck for next week it's a day I will remember, I got my job that day 11 years ago the day before my birthday. So I will have everything crossed for you. Look forward to hearing you have had it done :)

Last edited:
Hi, my name is Emma, I'm a 45 year old mother of two grown girls, I'm happily married and I'm excitedly waiting for my Sleeve op on 23rd August 2014.

I initially asked for a bypass but because I have an Ileostomy, I was told I would not be suitable. I'm having my op at St. Anthony's in Cheam and my consultant is based at St. Georges in Tooting.

I'm looking forward to reading about other people's journeys and posting on the boards :D

Hello, Emma!

I just typed the longest msg! And my phone died on my when i tried to send it! Then i spent ages trying to find your thread :) so i'll start again :)

So first of all good luck!! August will come before you know it! I am sure it will be just enough time to organise everything and get yourself ready for the operation!

What is your bmi if you dont mind saying? Did you have to wait long until you got your date? How long will you have to be on your pre op diet?

i am under care of st georges hospital. But no where close to having the surgery yet. I was referred last year (november). And still waiting to be approved. Next step for me (before they discuss my case on mdt again) is to se Dr Bano. Not quiet sure what to expect from that appointment. A bit anxious about it to be honest! :)

Hello, Emma!

I just typed the longest msg! And my phone died on my when i tried to send it! Then i spent ages trying to find your thread :) so i'll start again :)

So first of all good luck!! August will come before you know it! I am sure it will be just enough time to organise everything and get yourself ready for the operation!

What is your bmi if you dont mind saying? Did you have to wait long until you got your date? How long will you have to be on your pre op diet?

i am under care of st georges hospital. But no where close to having the surgery yet. I was referred last year (november). And still waiting to be approved. Next step for me (before they discuss my case on mdt again) is to se Dr Bano. Not quiet sure what to expect from that appointment. A bit anxious about it to be honest! :)

Hi Llora, sorry you typed out your message and then lost it :(

I've used an online BMI thingy and it's saying my BMI is 46. I was told when I initially asked for a referral from my GP that my BMI was a tad low for WLS but as I have other health issues, mainly my Ileostomy, I would qualify.

I feel that on the whole, I've been very lucky as my initial appointment at St. Georges was November 2013 and I've had to see a psychiatrist as well to make sure I'm mentally fit for surgery.

I think the added 'complication' of the Ileostomy has possibly been of interest to the team and this may have helped to speed everything up for me.

I have to be on the pre-op diet for two weeks which I'm not looking forward to but determined to do well on.

Try not to be anxious about your appointment and ask about your progress on their list.

If you ever go to one of their end of month meetings at St. Georges, let me know and I'll meet you there :)

Hi no, no one has even mentioned it, they took my history as they do it's only my own detective work that made me aware that a different way may have to be done. Which is worrying me. I don't want it to hold thing up but on the plus side I do have a very nasty scar and it could do with tidying up lol I will have to see what he says on Thursday. I had the first really bad dream last night about it all going wrong and this is all before I have seen him so fingers crossed. Have they discussed an alternative if you can't have the sleeve done,would you only be offered a band because of your surgery. Good luck for next week it's a day I will remember, I got my job that day 11 years ago the day before my birthday. So I will have everything crossed for you. Look forward to hearing you have had it done :)

Hello...They haven't mentioned what they will do if they can't do the sleeve but I suspect a band might be the only option.

It's getting so close now, I can't seem to think about anything else! I'm so preoccupied.

Roll on Monday! !

Xx

Hi I hope they can do the one you want but if they can't it will still be a success because you will be in control. You wouldn't be human if now your nerves rant doing summer salutes but it will all be worth it :) keep smiling

Back