• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Debs ramblings about her NHS sleeve...

Turps

Your Snowdon post is amazing. Well done! For everything.

Debs!

Well climbed Snowdon. Elated. Two days later cut finger with kitchen knife preparing cucumber!!!! Severed tendons. Admitted to hospital. Surgery. Cast. Now in a cast for 8 weeks. Can't drive. Unbelievable!!! Sigh! Such a daft and random thing to do!

No more weight loss. It's been months. No gain I guess but I'd have so like to have reached bmi of 25.

I do look different I know and I am not beating myself up about it!

I popped my pic from end of the LRD next to a snap of me today and I can see things have improved. Ironically I was very pleased of that pic back in 2015 as I'd lost over 20lbs on LRD so was feeling elated to have done ok.

Attachments

• IMG_9903.JPG
    IMG_9903.JPG
    735.5 KB · Views: 35

FeeBee

Oh no! You poor woman :( that sounds like a freak accident but fingers crossed it will all heal well and you'll start the new year in one fully working piece.

You look fantastic and and I love the huge grin in the picture from last year :D We should be proud of ourselves at every stage. I can understand wanting to hit the magic BMI number but on the other hand, you climbed Snowdon so I'm pretty sure you're very fit. There's nothing to say this is definitely it for good though. I've read a lot about the idea of having a natural weight our body is happy at but equally that people have started losing again after being at a plateau for a long time.

Casts are total pains but hopefully you'll adapt to having it quickly. I normally get into trouble for sticking knitting needles in mine to scratch when I get an itch:p

Turps

Oh no, what a thing to happen.

You look amazing, and I agree, your grin from last years photo is fabulous.

Penelope

Well climbed Snowdon. Elated. Two days later cut finger with kitchen knife preparing cucumber!!!! Severed tendons. Admitted to hospital. Surgery. Cast. Now in a cast for 8 weeks. Can't drive. Unbelievable!!! Sigh! Such a daft and random thing to do!

No more weight loss. It's been months. No gain I guess but I'd have so like to have reached bmi of 25.

I do look different I know and I am not beating myself up about it!

I popped my pic from end of the LRD next to a snap of me today and I can see things have improved. Ironically I was very pleased of that pic back in 2015 as I'd lost over 20lbs on LRD so was feeling elated to have done ok.

Sorry about your accident, but they do happen to us all. Hope you recover well and do not have too much pain.
You look fabulous. It's pictures like yours that gave me hope that surgery could help. Thank you.

xk1rstyx

get well soon debs

kirsty xx

SAM55

Well Monday 26th September was a milestone for me I guess in terms of non scale victories. Prior to surgery I had physically got into a mess. My fibromyalgia was ever present, hypertension, diabetes. The usual conditions that are present or exacerbated by obesity. I was often on sticks. I was medically retired from my career.

On Monday 26th September having spent the night prior in a bunk house with two old friends who I'd not seen since 1992 - we climbed Snowdon! Took the Snowdon Ranger path up. Driving rain from the start, heavy wind and the summit was in clouds! Cold and wet but euphoric!
Well done, what an achievement. You give me hope that life can return when I thought it was over. :)

Summer1992

Your photos are so inspiring, you look like a completely different person. :):) Wishing you a speedy recovery and very well done for Snowdon!!

Debs!

No change weight wise.

Bit worried about my snacking. Sigh!

Generally I am a size 14

My restriction is still there if I eat a proper meal - but high calorie daft snacks slip down a treat! Sadly!

Weight is no change at around 12 stones 7 or so.

Bad week last week with my first real bout of chronic constipation.

Otherwise life is none eventful, boring, fine!

Kar8858

Morning..well done on maintaining..as time goes on it does get harder and bad foods certainly fly down the hatch so much easier! Keep at it and use that sleeve x

Debs!

Well I am rapidly approaching my second sleeved Christmas. Seems daft even writing that having been so anxious for so long on my journey to surgery spanning 4-5 years.
I wasn't that cheerful for Xmas 2015. Yes I was 13.5 stone and feeling so much healthier. But Christmas Day was a slog of cooking for the family and the sadness of being sat at the table and being all done in a matter of minutes. My restriction was fierce and I ate a portion a two year old would wolf down. I just felt so sad that my inability to manage my weight had driven me to such extremes as to cut out non-diseased stomach and left me now unable to eat much on Christmas Day. I had a good old post lunch foamie moment and lay on the bed tearful about it all.
Fast forward a year and my sleeve allows me to each much more now. Not sure if that's a good thing!!! But I do hope I can have a better day come Christmas Day. I had my sleeve to make life easier and overall it is. But there is always a impact I guess.
Weigh wise - zero change. Just stagnant and have been for blooming months! Size is a fairly constant 14 with the odd stray down or up a size depending on style. Far too easy to snack is my lasting thought about my situation now. Far to easy to drop back into food which isn't adding anything useful. Yesterday I had a price of protein bread toasted. Better choices are possible - I just don't make them always!
Let's hope 2017 is a good year also!

Hannah2

I am dreading my first Christmas with such limits on food. Normally Christmas = food so to take that out of the equation is a worrying thing. I don't have to cook for others though so at least I don't have that stress. I made this choice though, due to other life choices I have made in the past. I remind myself what is worse - the way I have felt on holiday in the summer hot and sweaty and huge and hating what I can wear - or limiting what I can eat and being now 4 stone lighter already. I think for me this first Christmas is a big psychological hurdle and once I have coped with this, other things will be easier in comparison, that is what I am hoping anyway.

You have done so well, you know what choices can be made and you are making them. Hopefully this Christmas will be better for you.

Kar8858

Haha oh xmas 2015 sounds like xmas 2014/2015 and now 2016 and 2017....for me its never got any better. I totally get that frustrated feeling, two roast spuds and xmas dinner is over! I hope you do have a good one though and enjoy what you do manage!
Your weight stall must be frustrating though..I hope you shift again...x

Debs!

Well it's Boxing Day. With some joy and relief I am pleased to record that 18 months post surgery I was able to eat without being sick on Christmas Day!
Breakfast was a warburton thin with a slice of grilled bacon and grilled tomatoes. Lunch was a side plate with a slice of turkey, two sprouts, a slice of beef, and some carrots and gravy. I abandoned the idea of any further carbs. Supper was prunes wrapped in bacon, prawns and advacado on cucumber and some Brie on apple. I had 4-5 chocolates during the day.
Whilst is not the same food indulging presurgery food orgy I used to have it was a darn sight better than 2015 and for that I am thankful!
How did your Christmas days go?

FeeBee

Hey Debs, that's great. It sounds like you enjoyed your day :)

I had my usual breakfast of ready break. Lunch was a small slice of gammon with a few sprouts and roast parsnips and a spoonful of red cabbage. I had a tiny free from brownie later on and a 3 small pieces of dark chocolate through the day. Tea was a bit more meat and sprouts and later I had some black cherry roulade which was a real treat. It was such a relief not to feel like I should be stuffing myself and neither did I feel resentful for not eating what everyone else was. This is just normal for me mostly although the roulade and brownies were treats. I got my normal amount of water in and just felt a lot more relaxed. I don't think I realised how anxious the excess of food at Christmas used to make me.

Debs!

Happy New Year I guess. A little late I know!
My GP ran some blood tests to see if anything was lacking to explain my endless tiredness. No revelations. Everything is dropping - but all still in tolerance so they are not adding anything just yet.
HOWEVER what has been a shock revelation is my cholesterol. Even at my heaviest it is been towards the higher end of ok but not over the limit of 5. Back in May 2016 - about a year post op it was a respectable 3.4. Now it's 5.8!!! I have high cholesterol. I am gutted!
I am the lightest I've been in 30 years, my bmi is 27, and my levels are too high and I am now labelled as having high cholesterol. It meant I had to pay extra supplement to my travel insurance. Tsk!
They suggest I need to eat less red meat, less hard cheese, swap from semi skimmed milk etc. I walk between 10,000-18,000 steps every day.
It seems my focus on protein has to change a little. I struggled with chicken so I have had lean mince and steaks much more. But I eat fish 3-4 days a week.
It's blown my mind a little - I have to be honest. I assumed my cholestral would be fine. I am more careful with sugars and carbs but that also has to change they said.
I feel a bit like I am spinning as I have to change again! Anyone else had their cholesterol go up post surgery??

FeeBee

That feels unfair really doesn't it. I hope you can find a way to balance getting the protein you need and get your cholesterol down too x