• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Debs ramblings about her NHS sleeve...

Anyone found a way of taking iron tablets without being chained to the loo and anxious about wind for fear it isn't wind??
Scary!

I had to come off the iron tablets after nausea which led onto vomitting until I stopped the tablets. I saw my surgeon for the 6 week check up soon after and he said the evidence of usefulness for routinely prescribing iron isn't secure, come off it and try again in 6 weeks, if happens again stop taking and we'll address it after blood tests. As you're much further down the line than me Debs I'm assuming your blood tests imply that you need the iron. Last time I had to have iron - quite a few years ago now the GP tried two different types of tablets then liquids and eventually all I could tolerate is spatone.

Have you spoken to your GP about changing how you take the iron?

Good luck with this, I've found taking iron so hard for years (naturally slightly anaemic is how my GP refers to it).

I had to come off the iron tablets after nausea which led onto vomitting until I stopped the tablets. I saw my surgeon for the 6 week check up soon after and he said the evidence of usefulness for routinely prescribing iron isn't secure, come off it and try again in 6 weeks, if happens again stop taking and we'll address it after blood tests. As you're much further down the line than me Debs I'm assuming your blood tests imply that you need the iron. Last time I had to have iron - quite a few years ago now the GP tried two different types of tablets then liquids and eventually all I could tolerate is spatone.

Have you spoken to your GP about changing how you take the iron?

Good luck with this, I've found taking iron so hard for years (naturally slightly anaemic is how my GP refers to it).

Hi - thanks for that insight - I am struggling also with it. Drat! My 12 month post op blood test has revealed my iron levels have already dropped to the point of now being into 'below acceptable'. It's ferrous fumerate tablets I am taking via prescription. They aren't upsetting my tummy as such - I just cannot get of the loo and if I do, I have wind and the stench is beyond disgusting - add that to my prior sleeve side effect of burping and I am truly becoming a classy bird!!

Good luck with your journey xx

Last edited:
The iron tablets are still irksome. They make constipation a dim memory that's for sure! Otherwise I've finally some consistency about taking my vitamins and who knows, perhaps being anemic is what to took to get that sorted in my head. I was prior managing to remember to take them perhaps 5 days out of 7? Anyhow, for the last 8 weeks it's been very consistent which is a blessing. My B12 has also risen - which I was worried about. I have not had any B12 injections as my GP is very determined that I will only be medicated if it's actually needed and I fall below the guidelines. I am borderline.

I've managed to get into a number of size 14 dresses this week as I was looking for an outfit for a wedding. Quite hard to fathom! I also bought size 12 nightwear and pants - I keep looking at them in wonderment. They are obviously stretchy!

My weight is dancing around 12 stone 9 and has been for a very long time. I don't always eat enough and the dietician says I have to get more consistent with that now. Bizarre. Me the binge eater being advised about eating more. Who would have known?

Life otherwise goes on. Food still dominates my mind - usually from a point of - does it have protein, is there too many carbs, will it stay in - that sort of stuff. I still find myself having treats. Some chocolate buttons. A creamy yoghurt. A bit of cake. Some crisps. But usually it's a controlled amount and not something I do without thinking. Usually it's a choice to have them.

I am walking much further these days - albeit I don't really do any other exercise. My Fitbit, which I've now had for 2 years, definitely encourages me to push on and hit target!

I went to the seaside for the day yesterday to meet up with some 'wls only know on line' chums - people who I virtually met via forums and such - and then met in real life! They got me a cake and candle for my birthday! Lol.

Hope everyone is doing well and fighting their own demons. Having support, however achieved, I've felt it vital. Family or friends or online mates - it's really been helpful to have someone to turn to from time to time when it all gets a bit much! Have a good day :)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I'm sorry it's a bit mixed for you right now but you look great and have a very infectious smile :)

Well it's 426 days since my surgery (or 1 year, 1 month, 30 days or 60 weeks and 6 days depending on how you prefer to look at time lapse!). I'd had a fairly long stall of months not weeks. Doctor suggested eating a little more - still messes with my head when people say this - however I have given it a go.
It's been a good tactic and I've lost 4lbs in the last 2-3 weeks.
I am the lightest I've been now since I was a teenager. Very weird at 49 to say that!
Still 12 stone 6 but I am inching closer to my goal. It is clearly not going to be a race to the finish - more a crawl with lots of grimacing!

Last edited:
Congratulations :) your last sentence made me smile but it's definitely a marathon and not a sprint. You've done so well already though I have every confidence in you x

Have gone up and down by a pound here and there in the last month. Effectively got nowhere as I am still 12 stone 6! More and more size 14s are now fitting me but my skin roll apron often ruins the line of the garment and distorts the overall way the item lies. The floppy skin is quite yucky and can be pulled up and outward like an in built hammock. Have started saving harder for a tummy tuck but remain terrified of that surgery. Bizarre!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
That quote sums up how I'm feeling a bit today so thank you :) I'm sorry the lose skin is bothering you but I'm not surprised the tummy tuck feels like a scary option. It sounds like a very full on procedure. How long do you think it'll take you to save up?

That quote sums up how I'm feeling a bit today so thank you :) I'm sorry the lose skin is bothering you but I'm not surprised the tummy tuck feels like a scary option. It sounds like a very full on procedure. How long do you think it'll take you to save up?

My understanding is that the costs can be anything from £5,500 to £9,000. So it's not a small investment. I am not brave enough to travel overseas and being a single mom I need to consider my daughter and doggy! So that's gonna take a bit. I've been saving since before my op as I knew 3 decades of obesity wasn't gonna just shrink - and being nearly 50 isn't the ideal age for skin snap back!!!! Lol.

Sadly my local CCG (Worcestershire) has an almost zero tolerance to requests for reconstructive surgery. It's papers on this makes it clear that I've as much chance flying to the moon! Ironically my BMI does meet the NICE guidance level. But they ain't interested! Lol.

So I would hope to be in a position to research properly in 2017. I am 50 in July 2017 and it would be nice to enter my new decade of my life slightly better packaged xx

Please don't get down about the time your own journey takes. The only race we are in is with ourselves. And being kind to ourselves is vital as this is a hell of a task. Unlocking years of behaviour we've learned to rely upon. It's not easy and for many of us, it's not straightforward or fast. You will do it in your own time. That's all any of us can do.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my diary X

We were told at tier 3 very bluntly that there would be lose skin and there was no chance of getting it removed on the NHS - unless it was causing severe health problems and even then not guaranteed. Good luck with your savings, it's such a large amount of money x

First post surgery appointment with the Psychologist was on Friday. Very useful.

I explained to him that I am feeling much better and eating a wide variety of foods now and foamies are very rare!

I also shared my worries that I often find I don't sit and prepare a meal as such and graze on high protein sort of snacks. I can be seen wandering with a tin of tuna and a fork, or two babybel lights, or a couple of ryvita with chicken etc. But these are small meals 5-6 times a day. I also graze from time to time badly. 3 or 4 biscuits over a day, bit of cake here, skinny popcorn, handful of grapes or chocolate here and there etc.

I've not enjoy huge weight loss this year but in saying that I am the lowest I have ever been since I was 18 years old. I am 12 stone 6 (from almost 20 stones) and I fluctuate by 2-3lbs each month but return that 12 stone 6 place. My BMI is currently 27.5 (from 41) and I am able to wear a size 14 generally with the odd exception and at my biggest I was a 24/26.

I was a compulsive binge eater at my worst. Secretly eating lots and lots of food whilst eating modest meals in front of family and friends. It terrified me how little control I had when in full flow.

I shared all this with him as I've seen him for many appointments as part of my tier 3 programme. He knows I like direct and to the point feedback. No half measures and no sitting on the fence.

Hard facts and tough love points he stated were as follows 'Up to half his patients will regain a significant amount. That could be you. Your sleeve is not faulty - you are merely eating round it. Only you can stop this - there is no pill or surgery that you cannot defeat if you choose to. You need far less calories at 80kgs than at 125kgs. So you need to eat much, much less now just to stay the same, and even less food again to lose. And finally, you can have endless sessions of counselling - but ultimately you are not being force fed - you are choosing the food you have, preparing it, and shoving it in your mouth. We cannot prevent you making bad choices. You have to choose now whether you are prepared to go backwards or not. It's all in your hands.'

He knows I respond to 'smack me in the face' techniques so don't think too badly of him!

I needed to hear to this before I undo my efforts! Apparently half of WLS patients gain back 2-3 stone after 2 years. Most of us do well in year one as the surgery tends to make it impossible to not do well. After that, your destiny is your own. Very sobering.

I am trying harder now xxx

Last edited:
Hi Debs. i have previously had a tummy tuck b4 wls as i lost 6stone bak in 2009. i was lucky enough to get it done on the nhs at birmingham city hospital. it was easy an fast from the day i had my first hospital appointment but gettin to that stage wasnt so easy. My gp wasnt interested so i changed my GP and did lots an lots of research. i spoke to patient liason for my area an exchanged a few emails. they were very helpful an actually sent me the NICE guidlines. so i took them to new gp who agreed to referr me. he called a surgeon there an then to see if they wud take on my case as i was the perfect candidate an met all the criteria. the surgeon said no. my go told me to go an find an nhs surgeon who would take on my case thn he wud refer me. after calling around a lot i started talkin to a surgeons secrerary an she said my case sounds like one he would do. he agreed to see me so gp referred me. i had first appoinment an thn 6 weeks later had my op. its a massive op an the recovery is worse than wls. u wont even b able to stand straight for a few weeks i had the fleue de les type which is the biggest one so maybe thats y recovery was so difficult. try save but in the mean time chase the nhs surgeons. good luck

Kirsty xx

Well Monday 26th September was a milestone for me I guess in terms of non scale victories. Prior to surgery I had physically got into a mess. My fibromyalgia was ever present, hypertension, diabetes. The usual conditions that are present or exacerbated by obesity. I was often on sticks. I was medically retired from my career.

On Monday 26th September having spent the night prior in a bunk house with two old friends who I'd not seen since 1992 - we climbed Snowdon! Took the Snowdon Ranger path up. Driving rain from the start, heavy wind and the summit was in clouds! Cold and wet but euphoric!

Attachments

• IMG_9368.JPG
    IMG_9368.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 5
Well done you that's amazing!!!!
I have fibro, am on sticks and was medically retired from my job (tho that was pre fibro because I had a ruptured brain aneurysm) but we could almost be twins :D You are doing incredibly well. Did you get anything of a view when you reached the top though? Looks a tiny bit foggy! ;)

Well done you that's amazing!!!!
I have fibro, am on sticks and was medically retired from my job (tho that was pre fibro because I had a ruptured brain aneurysm) but we could almost be twins :D You are doing incredibly well. Did you get anything of a view when you reached the top though? Looks a tiny bit foggy! ;)

I could see buggar all!!!!

They retired me due to spinal damage. I fractured my coccyx and next 4 sacrum discs some years ago and that meant I could not do the full duties of my role. In fairness, whilst that was the permanent element to my demise, it was my fibro and weight related issues which disabled me on a daily basis.

I know I am lucky. The NHS investment in me of my sleeve has been a true life saver.

I have not lost weight in months. But I've lost so many medical conditions it's miraculous.

Last edited:
I broke the end off my coccyx and that was bad enough! You've done amazingly well, next time you run up Snowdon I really hope you're rewarded with a fantastic view :)

Follow up at the hospital today. I was very surprised to be discharged into GP care. No more team monitor job and follow ups. I didn't expect that. I assumed it would be 2 years of follow ups.

They said sleeves don't malabsorb. So I should get all the vitamins I need from my diet and my GP can do annual blood tests. The also said I had lost 86% of my excess weight and well over 36% of my total weight. They consider that to be very successful and my desire to reach my own goal of BMI 25 is fine - but not something wls was expected to do. Losing 60% or more of the excess is good they said. They reaffirmed what my GP had said. My bmi meets the guidelines for plastic surgery on but no way would it be funded now on NHS as rules have changed.

So it was all good but I do feel quite strange to be 'off their books'.

You've smashed their expectations but you sound a bit shocked or uncertain maybe? I don't think I'd be thrilled at being discharged after a year as I was told 2 years as well. We have so many appointments and hoops to jump through to get WLS I imagine it might be a bit disconcerting to suddenly be left to it? I'm already a bit nervous of how I'll feel when I'm discharged!

The plastic surgery thing seems to be universal now doesn't it? A flat no even when there's medical issues being caused by the loose skin if some posts I've read on Facebook are correct. How are you feeling about it?

Back