• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im done

Thanks everyone I'm home now. Feel like I been hit by a truck but I have a low pain threshold. I'm delighted xxxx

Congrats... i hope you feel better soon x x

Well done, just follow the advice and rest rest rest til the pain passes. This is the beginning of the rest of your better life :D

Hiya, are you feeling any better now?

hi,

yes lots better. occasional pain if i bend down too fast or without care.. and still cant sleep on my left side. im 22lbs off since pre op so chufty is not the word!!! :)

still taking it easy with just gentle walking as advised by mr mawaha (spelt?)

looking forward to be able to exercise after the 6 week check up xxx

Hi All,

I am scheduled to have my bypass surgery 8th July and to be honest I am a little scared. I haven't had my PAAC yet so dont know waht to expect and I have forgotten most of what was said at the seminar, after all is was nearly 18 months ago!!

Is there anyone out there willing and able to give me some insight into what to expect and a little info on the 10 pre op diet. I am most grateful for any advice.

:confused: Joan

Pre op diet is either milk/yogurt diet or if u diabetic a low fat diet, both are very strict but worth it. Pre op is bloods etc ready for ya op.... There's a pre op nurse Denise on here who has lots of info x

Hi MrsSAFC,

Good to hear you have had your op done and on the road to recovery. :)

Is the milk/yoghurt diet the only diet. I have reflux disease so milk tends to curdle if I drink a lot. I would be happy to have a strict diet of yoghurts and a little milk. I read some where I could have milk shake as a change LOL.

hi,

the dietician will be able to advise best? there is another diet what people who have diabetes do... its lean meat and veg i think? I also had acid refulx and found this settles on day 3 of the milk diet but everyones different? not sure about the milk shake??
xxx

hi,

the dietician will be able to advise best? there is another diet what people who have diabetes do... its lean meat and veg i think? I also had acid refulx and found this settles on day 3 of the milk diet but everyones different? not sure about the milk shake??
xxx
Hi MrsSAFC,

Thanks for that info and I will hopefully enjoy the yoghurt diet but is that all one can eat for 10 days prior to the Op??? Goodness me I might loose another stone by the time I actually get admitted. Not a bad thing I'm sure and a good way to test your staying power. Will I see the dietician at the PAAC on 30th June do you think.

I got on the scales this morning and discovered I had lost another 2lb, began to wonder if I am worrying the weight off. Sadly my weight bobs up and down even though I dont eat anything different. Mind you I think this genetic condition might have something to do with that. :(

well done, try to take it easy and don't do too much too soon

hi,

the dietician will post out your pre-op diet to you - id expect you will get it soon if you op is early July? but the nurse on your pre op will also be able to answer some questions id imagine?

excellent on the weight loss to date..... its such a motivator isnt it
x

keep us updated xxx

Hi All,

I am scheduled to have my bypass surgery 8th July and to be honest I am a little scared. I haven't had my PAAC yet so dont know waht to expect and I have forgotten most of what was said at the seminar, after all is was nearly 18 months ago!!

Is there anyone out there willing and able to give me some insight into what to expect and a little info on the 10 pre op diet. I am most grateful for any advice.

:confused: Joan
Hi Joan
At the moment we are seeing patients in paac usually within a week of surgery for pre op, ideally should be 10 days but staffing is tight.
Pre op is health questionaire, record of your current medications (so remember to bring a prescription along and also details of anything else you take) if you take any herbal supplements (not incl multi vits) stop these at least a week before surgery (ginger is 2 weeks).
blood pressure/pulse/oxygen levels are checked and MRSA swabs done, height/weight are also checked (make sure you do not gain weight at all from last visit or its likely you will be cancelled (the surgeons are fast running out of patience with people not losing what they have been told to or those re-gaining weight.)
Then we take a series of bloods and send you for ECG, some of the nurses incl myself have advanced clinical skills so will also listen to your heart (for evidence heart murmur) and lungs (for wheezes/crackles which could indicate infection)
If you smoke consider giving up now prior to surgery and GP will normally offer support in way of patches etc, we also do referrals at hospital, this aids wound healing and helps prevent chest problems post op as well as reducing risk of DVT.
If you have any concerns prior to paac pop to GP for a bp/heart and lung check etc and medication review.
The diet you should receive at least 2 weeks before op to allow for 10 day diet, if not received by 12 days before op ring hospital and ask switchboard to put you through to either Maureen Boyle/Felicity White/Val Davies who are all dieticians connected to bariatric service. If you have an email address have it handy and they can email the diet sheets out.
The preferred diet is milk/yogurt/fruit/soup/sugar free jelly one as this seems to help shrink liver quicker but if you are diagnosed diabetic on medication (not diet alone) or if you are lactose intolerant then you follow low carb/low fat diet. No alcohol is allowed on diet as this can affect liver.
Think that pretty much covers it but any questions you can message me.

Hi Denise,

Thanks so much for your reply and I am most grateful. I was only at the hospital on 10th June for a PAAC for hand surgery. My bp was a little raised but went to GP a week later and it was back to normal. Will I still need PAAC for WLS seeing I have just had one? LOL

Surgery on my hand was arranged before my WLS date was offered. You know its funny, you wait more than a year for one op and two come together. :eek:

Hi Denise,

Thanks so much for your reply and I am most grateful. I was only at the hospital on 10th June for a PAAC for hand surgery. My bp was a little raised but went to GP a week later and it was back to normal. Will I still need PAAC for WLS seeing I have just had one? LOL

Surgery on my hand was arranged before my WLS date was offered. You know its funny, you wait more than a year for one op and two come together. :eek:
Hi
will still need another pre op assessment as its a different surgery, plus we have to weigh bariatrric pts on bariatric scales for consistancy. Mention your BP to nurse who does your paac.

Back