• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm hope and so far doing ok!

Kath in Buxton

Well, as it says in the title really.

This is my story so far:

Wednesday night, got bag packed, went to bed early. Couldn't sleep partly because I was excited and partly because next door neighbours came in at 2.20 am and proceeded to have a party. Never heard a peep out of them before, so why they chose that night I really don't know Grrrrr.

Thursday am, got to Derby for 7 am, and it was just like being in an airport departure lounge. There were lots of people all arrived for various ops in various departments and we had to wait to be called into small consulting rooms to be seen by various persons before going to the next stage of the waiting area. Once in the next waiting room got called to see physio, to talk about post op breathing exercise and the importance of getting mobile as soon as possible. Was called to change into my fancy green gown at 10.45, then walked down to theatre where the young anaesthatist got me chatting to take my mind off things, until I went in. Robin, my husband was allowed to stay with me right through all of this. He was told which ward I would be returning to, then went off into town for his lunch and then wandering up to the ward to wait in the day room for my return.

Next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery room in agony!! But the funny thing about this is that the pain wasn't in anyway connected to my tummy, but was all around my shoulders and collar bones. On returning to the ward I was allowed sips of water straight away. Thursday night and Friday morning were quite bad, but by Friday lunch time I was chatting to another lady in the ward who had just had the same op, the same day, about 4 hours before me!! Thursday afternoon was information overload time with people coming to tell me this that and the other. None of which has sunk in, all of which i have bits of paper for.

This morning the doc said I couldn't go home . . so i pulled my self together, managed a small lunch of chicken soup, got mobile walking up and down the ward, to prove to them all that I was perfectly ready to come home.

And here I am, feeling strange, not ill exactly, just weird.

Going to try some warm milk and have a rest now xxxxxxxxxxx

Oh kath I had the pain in the left shoulder...horrid!!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Good to hear your home hun, thanks for the post xx

Just keep moving, Kath & the wind will dissipate. Glad all went well, honey & it sure is nice getting home, eh xxx :):)

Glad you're okay Kath...Take it easy hun :)

Take Care

Andy xx

great news your home cath. thanks for the post, i have not had my opp yet but i have seen a lot of people mentioned sucking wind ezz to help with the wind pain.

Walk, walk, sip, sip. That is the magic combination.

Do not discount how different things will feel and seem to you. Your body has been rerouted and your hormones will be going every which way.

Reach out to friends and the board and NEVER forget "There is NEVER a stupid question" If you need help, ask. If you don't know the answer, ask.

We have been where you are and you are not alone.

So-crack open a catalog or go online and start your wishlist of the stuff you want to SOON wear!
:) Congrats!

You're home relax and recover. Take it easy it's been said before it's a marathon not a sprint give yourself time to recover before doing too much. Good luck!

Welcome home Kath. Great post. So glad you are doing well. Take it easy and let someone else do the housework or leave it :D

I went shopping for the first time yesterday and was totally exhausted when I got home :). Was really happy though as I bought myself some tops as I was starting to look like a bag lady. Was delighted to fit nicely into size 18 which is a huge improvement on my previous size 24-26 :D

Welcome home Kath. Shoulder pain caused by wind was the strangest thing I experianced! It does go though. Keep sipping and walking a little xxx

Thanks everyone! Can't bear to think how I'd feel if I was going it alone without all my lovely new friends on here:D :D

I have muscular/skeletal pain in my back and shoulders anyway, but somehow this felt worse :( However, I'm relieved to hear that it will dissipate with time, and gentle walking.

The housework and shopping are all in hubby's hands for the next couple of weeks. He's being great actually.

My only other niggle is my left hand :( It swelled at the site of the cannula and still feels sore. The staff on the ward said it's one of those things that sometimes happens, and some fluid has got into my tissues, and keeping it elevated will help it go down, BUT, keeping it elevated is adding to the shoulder pain. I'm not feeling unwell as such with it, just as I said, it's niggling at me.

Thanks everyone! Can't bear to think how I'd feel if I was going it alone without all my lovely new friends on here:D :D

I have muscular/skeletal pain in my back and shoulders anyway, but somehow this felt worse :( However, I'm relieved to hear that it will dissipate with time, and gentle walking.

The housework and shopping are all in hubby's hands for the next couple of weeks. He's being great actually.

My only other niggle is my left hand :( It swelled at the site of the cannula and still feels sore. The staff on the ward said it's one of those things that sometimes happens, and some fluid has got into my tissues, and keeping it elevated will help it go down, BUT, keeping it elevated is adding to the shoulder pain. I'm not feeling unwell as such with it, just as I said, it's niggling at me.

Hi sweetie, re the swelling in your hand ... my niece had an op in June & when she had this reaction they told her she had a slight morphine intolerance. It did go with ice packs & heat pads but it did take around 3 weeks so try to be a patient patient ... xxxx :):)

Back