• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

insensitive gp's...Grrrr

indianlight

I must warn you this is a moan....

Before I start, I have to tell you that on the whole my GP practice has been fab and very supportive in my needs, However....

I phoned them yesterday to ask for a sicknote for work, I specified as I have done in the past that my employer is NOT aware i've had a bypass and therefore as they have done previously could they just put 'laporoscopy' on it...shouldn't be a problem they did it after my band and band removal..

my OH collected sick note today for me and what does it say but...Gastric Bypass Surgery!!!

I was fuming but was sure that a mistake had been made and i phoned the surgery in the confidence they would do me a new one...

NOPE, they won't the GP (according to the receptionist) refused to put anything but what I had done on it....I asked why and she said it was his decision, I was not a happy bunny at this point and demanded an emergency apptmt to see him today... Nope it was classed as an emergency!!

Who the hell do they think they are???? I asked how it was that NOW they couldnt yet previously had and she couldnt answer, to make it worse this lady happens to know people I know and i only hope she wont discuss it (although im sure she wont i just feel like blaming everyone at this point).

Anyhow she suggested if the hospital was willing to not put bypass on it why didnt i ask them for one....arrghhh

I put the phone down, as it happens i have an apptmt already to discuss tablets etc on thursday so will raise it with them then, unfortunately its a different GP.

To top it all, I told my OH and he said like him they probably didnt want to lie about it....i was really upset!! he can't understand why i dont tell everyone and believes im making him lie for me...

I asked him if i'd had an abortion(sorry dont mean to offend anyone) would he think that should go on my sicknote, that made him stop and think and hopefully got through to him how strongly i feel about this being private... rant over...for now

Surely they can put bariatric surgery at the very least.

I can't help much as I didn't take the time sick but as holiday as it was elective surgery.

That really is inconsiderate of them Indianlight. Perhaps you could take the sick note to your appointment and show the doctor - he might be really nice and do you a fresh one. Whatever happened to patient confidentiality? If he doesn't you will need to bite the bullet and 'come clean' at work. It's such a shame if that's not what you want. Good luck on Thursday. xx

Indianlight, I understand why you feel this way. I to would be cross! It isn't very supportive!

My GP wrote gastric surgery.

I didn't consider my surgery as elective. I know some companies might view it as elective.

In my case I could I felt that I could elect to live or die so the surgery was a life line for me. One consultant told me that I could drop dead at any point due to my obesity so the decision was easy.

Last edited:
My consultant put " general bariatric surgery" on my sick note as i was concerned about my work finding out i'd had a bypass, he was more than happy to help, though i did go private, so i guess you get what you pay for ! ;)

my gp wrote gastric surgery as well, but its not a problem for me as I have told work what I am having done.

Is it a big company you work for? If so, can you send it straight to HR with a letter explaining that you wish the reason for your illness to be kept confidential.

Laproscopic surgery should of been enough.as you say could of been termination,sti,cancer anything personal,that you wouldnt want people to see at work.The docs word should be good enough for hr.Perhaps it leaves him open if something came up and work didnt know the exact details.Perhaps a quiet word at hr is needed.Maz

You need to be very careful, bypass surgery is seen as elective, and therefore some companies wont pay sick leave if they think you you have had elective surgery ! thats why its important to ensure they A, dont know and B, your consultant/GP makes the sick note out generic and not specific.

hiya deb can you not get the hospital to do you a sick note instead of the gp, its maybe worth an ask x

I am so sorry. I would be very cross as well. Can you ring your hospital and ask them for a sick note with better wording. The NHS hospital I was going to go through asked if I needed a general surgery sick note but I don't as I am a stay at home mum.

So sorry they are being awkward.

Last year I was off work due to depression and the dr asked did I want her to put something different on the sick note.

As others have said they could quite easily have put something else. They could even have put abdominal surgery.

I would have been upset at this also. My GP put 'post operative bowel surgery' on mine and I didn't even ask.

I would write a letter of complaint to the practice manager.

Rx

Good idea Liz, sounds like the best plan.

yep im sure if deb explains the situation to our surgeon they would do one x

thanks guys. As Liz says our surgeon would give me a sicknote, but cos i have had this done before and have had generic sicknotes then I want to know the reason why! My guess is that this particular GP hasn't had to deal with this situation before or they forgot to ask him!!

Anyway, I have calmed down a bit and will wait to discuss it on thursday and if they wont help i will contact my surgeon.

I had a problem with a sick note once and was told its a legal document by receptionist so i wrote a long letter saying what receptinist had said and took it to see gp and asked him to read it
he then said what would i like him to put on sick note and just did it
( the problem i had was he allways put diabetis but his wife put obesaty and diabetis i thought just diabetis was enough for work)

Legally speaking your GP telling your company via a sick note whats actually wrong with you without your consent is a breach of Dr paitent confidentiality, and legally your company cannot ask what you have had done or whats wrong with you, your Dr can sign you of sick and legally your company can do stuff all about it !
Now i'm aware most companies will ask or will want to know whats wrong with you, but you consent to giving that information and its normally only if you self certify that you were unwell enough not to come to work ! ...........So your GP can simply say " unfit to work" and legally thats enough !

If i were you though in this situation i'd just go back and see your GP (ignore what the nitty Nora receptionist says) and explain that your employer does not know or need to know that you have had WLS and could he make the certificate generic ! and i'd image he/she would be sympathetic to your reasoning..... if not then contact your consultant

I went to Dr's yesterday and as predicted he asked me what i would like my sick not to say and he put it on....no problem...i knew it was just that one dr!!! all the stress and anger for nothing......

bloody typical that deb, im glad you got it sorted out afterall, are you coming on sat night for the meet up in metrocentre as you said to remind you, if you feel upto it x

liz x

Back