• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Interest Article - Addiction Transfer Syndrome

LapBandBeck

The article titled “Overeating Replaced with Other Compulsive Behaviors” states that for a number of people, giving up overeating leads to adoption of a new compulsion. In the article this adoption of a new compulsion to replace an old one is called “addiction transfer”. Addiction transfer occurs when someone is unable or unwilling to rely on one compulsion and so switches to a new compulsion due to not having dealt with the underlying issue behind the compulsion. For example, one may overeat because he/she is lonely or depressed, or for any number of other reasons. This person has gastric bypass to deal with being overweight, but does not address the depression/loneliness and therefore develops an alternative compulsion strategy such as gambling, alcoholism or excessive shopping. According to the article there are millions of people who have undergone gastric bypass who are now dealing with issues of addiction transfer.

:)Thanks for posting-it's an interesting article:)

Yeah I started smoking again when I was stressed :(

from me phone :D

Addiction to something nice would be good, I expect that I will end up with cleaning or something!!!

Sometimes it will be just to 1 type of food stuff. I met someone who had transferred to protein bars!

Back