• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Transfer Addiction..made me think

hope2bthina

Hi all have been having a good look around and came across the links thread, i read an article about transfer addiction and was surprised by the amount of people that need AA after having surgery.

I can see how the need to replace one addiction for another comes about...makes sense i suppose if the issues of why you eat are not dealt with.

Do you get to see a shrink before and after op? I cant stand the taste of most alcohol so i dont think that would be a problem..the whole transfer addiction just made me think really...is it easy to come to terms with being a whole different person?

Very interesting reading anyway!

Have you got the link please? thanks

I was and have been a big drinker most my adult life it was ok when i was younger because i was fit and played lots of sport but later in life after injuries it got worse, i dont intend to touch alcohol for 6 mths but must admit that is my only concern that i start again but in saying that i think ime strong enough not to.

Hiya,
well you have hit the nail on the head really. My husband has stopped smoking it's 2yrs now, but he has piled on the pounds. I dont think i have an addictive personality but then i'm very overweight so i must have..i dont think i thought of it as an addiction just me being greedy!.

This topic has come up before I personally feel everyone should give it a think because it is way more common than having a surgical complication, 30% of people suffer from some sort of transfer addiction post-op. Here are some links to past threads:
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wlsurgery/104161-people-should-know-about-transfer-addictions.html
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wlsurgery/116188-cross-addiction-alcohol.html
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wlsurgery/92415-some-help-please-if-you-can.html
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wlsurgery/82118-addiction-transfere.html

Nic:)

Hi all have been having a good look around and came across the links thread, i read an article about transfer addiction and was surprised by the amount of people that need AA after having surgery.

I can see how the need to replace one addiction for another comes about...makes sense i suppose if the issues of why you eat are not dealt with.

Do you get to see a shrink before and after op? I cant stand the taste of most alcohol so i dont think that would be a problem..the whole transfer addiction just made me think really...is it easy to come to terms with being a whole different person?

Very interesting reading anyway!
I’m sure this will be in interesting thread. I haven’t read the links yet (am currently having a sneaky log on from work) but knowing that I have an extremely addictive personality I will no doubt transfer my addiction to something else after surgery. It will either be shopping, men (watch out guys) or drink. However, as I have my rose tinted glasses on today I am hoping I will get addicted to the gym and become one of these super fit lycra clad Hollywood types (although maybe not with the lyrca.

Good thread, thanks for starting it

Nic thank you for the links i shall have a read through those later.

Emerging butterfly..lol i have a lycra clad image in my head now!.I cant afford to be addicted to shopping, it cant be men hubby wouldn't like it!!. I shall have to do all sorts of evening classes or take on extra jobs to keep me busy.

On a serious note tho at least we know now, the one think that made me really think was the people that said before they had their op they didnt even like alcohol but now couldn't live without it.

That made extremely interesting reading. Thanks for the post!

I can see how some people do transfer to being alcoholics. I am now 7 months post op and I do like a drink, especially wine.

It is different for me now though. I drink wine because I enjoy it and I drink it slowly, whereas pre op all I wanted was beer and alco pops and to drink them as quickly as possible to get as drunk as possible....

It is something my girlfriend has commented on though, that I need to be careful that I dont transfer my food addiction to wine.

For a while I after my surgery I was addicted to the gym and exercising. I havent done alot of work in the gym or exercising due to uni commitments, so I need to get back into it....

I think people do need to be aware of this article and read it, but I dont think its anything to worry people or live their post op life by.

xxx

Back