• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

People should know about Transfer Addictions

phatgirl

Just as the title says, I want to start a thread about a serious subject. A real risk for people on the wls journey is the transfer of a food addiction to other addictions such as drug use, excessive gambling, alcoholism, compulsive shopping, or increased or uncharacteristic promiscuity. It can happen as frequently as 20% of the time which as the number of post-ops increases can be a large part of the population in just a few short years.

If you haven't learned about the risks of transfer addiction I urge you to educate yourself so that you are at least aware of the danger signs.

Here are some links to general info:

YouTube - WeightWise FAQ - Psychology Part 10: Addiction Transfer

Think Gastric Bypass Surgery is the Quick Fix? Think Again. | World of Psychology

InteliHealth:

Addiction Transfer After Gastric Bypass Surgery – The Hidden Danger

Battling Food Addiction / Addiction Transfer after Bariatric Surgery

Scholarly Journal articles (for geeks like me!):

http://mbldownloads.com/0808PP_Sarwer_CME.pdf

http://www.generalsurgerynews.com/download/gsnse07issueWM.pdf#page=43

http://www.springerlink.com/content/y1tpt3u7w208k4gq/fulltext.pdf

Nic;)

Thanks for this! I will read all of the links when I get home. It is something I have been wondering over the last few days as I'm not sure how I'll cope with missing out on meals out etc. I know people who have had the op still go out for meals and stuff but not sure if it'd be the same. Hmmmmmmmm!!!

Hun, eating out is still fun don't worry. In fact just a couple of weeks ago in Manchester a group of us post-ops ate at a lovely Tapas place with a pre-opper and our spouses who hadn't had surgery. We had a lovely time and nobody would have noticed we were in any way different. So put that out of your mind, eating out is fine and I LOVE to take home my big box of leftovers!

Nic:D

Haha that's good to know. I think I'm just having a wobbly couple of days as I'm knackered! I know it is the right decision for me, and I know when it comes down to it all will be well (with the op AND afterwards). Obviously I completely understand that things will change and it will take time to adjust but I CAN'T WAIT!!!! Roll on the 6th of August (1st appt!!)

Hi, thanks for the transfer addition info. This definately happens, my grandma was an alcoholic and when she broke he hip she had to move in with my Mum and stopped drinking, however she started smoking 60+/day instead, she then moved into a retirement home and they dont allow smoking and she's eating cake like you wouldn't believe. She's gone from 7 stone to 15 stone in a year and whilst we joke about her cake munching it's really scary the way you can see the compulsive behaviours have been redirected.

I really think that counselling post op should be offered to everyone - I can understand that the NHS is stretched to capacity but people need to be told about this. I also wonder about some of the support groups around - it was glossed over in mine which I think is totally wrong. Just dont know how we go about changing things

my ocd got alot worse for about 2 months post op as i tried to deal with not being able to feed my addiction to food it did get better tho and so far i havnt had a new addiction but i think this is a great thread and very intresting

Its something I never thought about but when I was on a diet years ago I never got addicted to anything else just felt so good at the time. Thanks for making me aware!

Anez xxx

I'll openly admit that I've become addicted to shopping, Italian suits, Levis, Vanhusen, armani, and not to mention my newly aquired collection of Jeff Banks shirts, absolutely gorge :D - i'm also heavily into gadgets to, since my op i've noticed my gadget collection rise considerably.

To be honest i dont really care, i can afford to shop and you know what, its the best feeling in the world to be able to walk into a high street store and pick something of the shelf and its fits ! where before i had to buy in big shops and via the internet, and nothing ever fitted properly either.

I'll openly admit that I've become addicted to shopping, Italian suits, Levis, Vanhusen, armani, and not to mention my newly aquired collection of Jeff Banks shirts, absolutely gorge :D - i'm also heavily into gadgets to, since my op i've noticed my gadget collection rise considerably.

To be honest i dont really care, i can afford to shop and you know what, its the best feeling in the world to be able to walk into a high street store and pick something of the shelf and its fits ! where before i had to buy in big shops and via the internet, and nothing ever fitted properly either.
I'm addicted to shopping BEFORE my op, so god knows what i'll be like after:eek::eek:

Thanks for that Phatgirl, you always come up with such imformative posts , can't believe how much there is to know that i haven't thought about def getting the "wobbles" now. My addiction is choc and cigarettes at present know the choc will go and really hope the cigs go too. I fully get your shopping addiction Richard what a feeling to be able to go into shops and buy designer gear that's one for me to look forward to xx

I was never addicted to food my weight came about due to medication and illness but i have lived quite closely with dear loved ones with destructive addictions and the addictions won in the end - this is such a serious issue and we must all try and help wherever possible. Thank you Nic for this thread xx

Back