• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

ADDICTION TRANSFERE ?????????

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
:eek: well the experts reakon us "food addicts" have an addictive nature and when we loose the food addiction through physically not being able to eat on an emotional basis or for what ever reason we find a new addiction to compensate the comfort side of eating ?
is this true ?
i dont know how true this is in real life, with real people, maybe it is i smoke more ciggies, thats my addiction, i smoked b4 my band but if im honest i smoke more is this an addiction transfere to compenasate for my comfort eating ?
i dont know the experts seem to think so !
has any one found this with themselves ? as im questioning myself here. i now light a ciggy when i used to be in the fridge looking for grazing foods, quick nibbles.

liz x

Im not so sure to be honest...I used to smoke 40 a day in my early 20's and literally threw my last packet in the bin on newyears eve 1990 and never smoked again. most of my food / compulsive eating issues are to do with comfort eating I had a very bad (physically and mentally abusive) 15 year "marriage" to my daughters father and went from 10.2 to the 17 stone I am now. It was comfort eating and it then became a habit to eat the size portions I do now...heavens Im only a 5'6" woman not a 6'5" rugby player so why do I stash away his dinner every night!!!!
foir me its become a habit to not be hungry and to eat huge portions of albeit healthy food but big amounts...thats why I am looking at the band. I have been having therapy since december to try and deal with a lot of issues I have around myself and my lack of boundries and zero self confidence so I am taclig my head issues too...I am hoping that this broad approach will be sucessful for me.

I think its important to look at why people eat and wether itsa a habit they have formed justr eating larger portions and larger portions or if its covering other issues (like my comfort eating) this needs to be adressed in my mind and dealing with the head stuff is just as important as the body itself.

i agree with you, all aspects of why we got to be over weight in the 1st place have to be addressed, i think im going to have to try harder to put my addictive nature into some thing more positive, what that maybe i do not know yet.

liz

Bumping to see if anyone else has any input

I first put weight on 16 years ago while pregnant (6 stone on) and went down bank from there. I found that when I was content I ate more. When i split with my hubby (he walked out) I stopped eating and drinking and lost 38lbs in 4 weeks. Then when I was content again I ate to much and gained all back and a lot more.

I have noticed since having my bypass my sex drive as gone through the roof was good before the op but now its lots more lol

my main problem has been since banding my ocd at night has become alot worse iv transfered from eating to worrying i think lol i also smoke more

I'm a smoker and yep I now smoke more than I did. I do agree that alot (not all) of overweight people do suffer with addictive personalities and therefore the addicition will get transfered elsewhere. Mind you, depending on what you substitute it with this doesn't necessarily mean its a bad thing! :D

xx

I'm a smoker and yep I now smoke more than I did. I do agree that alot (not all) of overweight people do suffer with addictive personalities and therefore the addicition will get transfered elsewhere. Mind you, depending on what you substitute it with this doesn't necessarily mean its a bad thing! :D

xx
i must say hun u look fab in your pic well done ;o)

i packed in smoking 4 years ago and i have not wanted once since .... however i do put on weight when I'm happy and content .. if i know i have to go somewhere that i will be judged as in gay scene i will cut down weeks before .. to try make my self feel better about going there ...

i love spending money however weight stops me going out so I'm thinking maybe when u do go out will i start to spend more again !! I'm bad for these buy one get one free .. or 3 for 2 .. u would think i had 5 kids ... only me the hubby and the dog ..

Think I'm seriously developing an addiction to shopping. I was worried about drinking (my brother died through alcoholism) but this hasn't increased at all - I have 1 or 2 glasses of wine at the weekend and thats it,and it's not every weekend.

I hope I develop an addiction to housework!! Ha, ha.. Least I'd have sparkling house ;-p

bloody hell this been dugg up from the past ages since i started this thread !!! Omg lol

I seem to be addicted to spending money at the minute. I can't stop spending.

my addiction since stopping smoking is nuts, and yes b4 and sarcastic comments come its the KP ones lol x

nuts are not a good thing to be picking at! The worse thing is that they seem to go down without any problems!

I'm not sure what it is that I'm addicted to, I still struggle with food tbh...

The band was on my stomach... I could really have done with it on my head!! :eek:

nuts are not a good thing to be picking at! The worse thing is that they seem to go down without any problems!

my bands not working since i started this thread many months ago, anyway at the moment so anythings going down so nothing makes a difference to me right now the sooner its removed the better x

I'm not sure what it is that I'm addicted to, I still struggle with food tbh...

The band was on my stomach... I could really have done with it on my head!! :eek:

unfortunatley the band does nothing different for head hunger or real hunger that still comes down to will power still with banding.... good luck x

this is the one thing that I can say for the band... it's different for everyone!

Since been banded I've NEVER felt physically hungry. I eat out of habit, or because I'm thirsty!

Sometimes, I wish I had another vice so I could kick this one into touch!

But then are sex, drugs, and shopping any more acceptable to me than obesity? I think that answer is probably not as I still seem to be fighting the same demons! Thankfully I have an ally to help in my band!

Oh I'm a gamer chick worse than ever now....Second Life I have 4 avatars, Sims 3, World Of Warcraft I have 10 horde characters ....erm hundreds of Dash Games....(eg Diner Dash, Sally's Spa etc) ....ummm...Wii games like Step to the Beat, Sports Resort etc...hah and Monster Hunter Tri tomorrow...yep bigger Geek than ever....but still better than being obssessed with food!

Back