• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is It a Cosmetic Procedure ?

Fat Again

My work have told me that I will have to take the time off I'm having for my surgery as holiday because a gastric bypass is classed as cosmetic surgery and because I'm funding it myself.

Can you believe this ???

I'm only funding it myself because my PCT refused to fund it, due to living in the wrong post code !

Do you think my GP would write me a letter stating that this surgery is for medical reasons ?

How is this surgery classed as cosmetic - it makes me angry.

This makes me cross, as it most definitely isnt a cosmetic procedure, and no surgeon who values his reputation would perform this surgery if you were not obese.

I totally understand why people are wary of telling their employers what operation they are having. I was very lucky as mine has been very supportive.

Do you work for a big organisation? Do you have a union? Is there anyone else more senior at work you can discuss it with?

Definitely ask your GP to write a letter saying he had advised the op for health reasons, but that the NHS wouldnt fund it due to the postcode lottery.

The danger with having to use holiday is that you will be forced to return to work before you are ready, where as if you are signed off as medically sick you can take the time that you need to recover.

This is major surgery and most definitely not cosmetic. I always find ACAS are really helpful in arming yourself with the legal bits and bobs of employment law. You'll be able to find their number from their website.

Lx

It maybe that they have worded it wrong. It is classed as elective surgery. Therefore you have chosen to have this procedure and that means taking time as holiday. May people on here have had to take holiday to cover the time.

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done, especially as you are self funding.

I would definitely ask the GP for a letter, even if it is refused as least it was tried. The surgery definitely is not cosmetic and is for your health, not just to make you look better.

It makes me angry just reading what they said to you. Makes me so glad I'm self-employed and don't have to ask myself for time off!

I would go back to your HR department and ask them why they are saying this is cosmetic surgery. Do they have this confused with having excess skin removed. If this does not help I would ask your GP to write a letter or your company could refer you to an Occupational Health doctor so that they can assess the reason behind your operation.

I work in a HR department and my boss and the organisation have been really supportive of me as they understand that I am doing this for health reasons. I do know that if I have to have excess skin removed this may be classed as 'cosmetic' so I may have to take holiday for this procedure.

If I can help from a HR point of view just send me a message.

My work are paying me sick pay while I am off, its a medical surgery for a medical reason not for vanity. Employers really should see the common sence in that while you may be off for a few weeks for the op you are less likely to be having time off for the problems the weight issue can cause in the future. like has been already said if you are in a union get them to deal with it for you, any good union rep should be able to sort this very easily. Also as it is very much women in the majority having wls for the employer to force you to use your leave entitlement they would be possibly putting themselves open to a claim of indirect sexual discrimination. I would certainly not accept it without a fight. Maybe making your employer aware of the nice guidelines would assist in helping them understand that its for a medical need.

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. I really hope your doctor can help but also it may serve as a warning to others that maybe they need to be slightly economical with the truth when informing employers. You should tell them you are having gastro intestinal surgery. it is none of their business whether you pay private or not, not all people have their operations on the nhs, elective or otherwise.

Also, if you were having a termination for example, that is also elective and a very private affair, they do not have the right to this information, so why so with wls!

Another cross mini peep here

Xx

It maybe that they have worded it wrong. It is classed as elective surgery. Therefore you have chosen to have this procedure and that means taking time as holiday. May people on here have had to take holiday to cover the time.

I was thinking the same as this. I believe elective surgery is classed differently to non-elective surgery and so this may be why your employers have said you would need to use your holiday to cover your time off. I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading about this somewhere along the line.

Good luck hun,
Cuppa xx

I'm having to take annual leave (although they are giving me the day of the procedure as sick leave, and one week afterwards) and I am a nurse. My ward manager said that as it was not necessary surgery then it would be unfair to the other staff if it was given as sick leave. Although HR initially told me that of course it was classified as sick leave, having spoken to my ward manager they have now reassessed the situation and given me 8 days off. I don't know what the situation would be if I went to my GP after my 8 days sick leave and got a sick note, they wouldn't be able to call it annual leave then would they? I'm tempted to cancel this annual leave and actually go back into work after my 8 days sick leave and just not do any physical work, they wouldn't like that, for sure!

Sue and cuppa are right fat again, because it is not being done as an acute or life threatening surgery and you have chosen to have it done most companies will not pay sick pay.
There are a few very lucky people who do get sick leave but they obviously have understanding employers, but on the whole it mean holiday leave, or down right lying!!! and it is awful that people are put in this situation. good luck

Jay xx

I had sick leave for mine. I just told them I was having surgery and would need time off! I didn't think about not saying what it was to prevent having to use annual leave, I just saw it as none of their business. My sick note said bypass surgery, and there were no problems. I did tell my boss about 6 months later, when he finally noticed my weight loss, and there were never any problems.

To me it is worth taking annual leave for. At the end of the day it really isn't worth getting upset about. You are about to embark an a huge journey and you don't need any other distractions.

I had to take annual leave after having my band fitted, my employer considered it to be elective. Harsh I know.

Thanks for all your comments guys. Ater a chat with hubbie he's convinced me to take it as holiday and then in the future if I need time off, go sick.

Im never sick, never late and have a excellent work record, so sod them !!

I'm having to take annual leave (although they are giving me the day of the procedure as sick leave, and one week afterwards) and I am a nurse. My ward manager said that as it was not necessary surgery then it would be unfair to the other staff if it was given as sick leave. Although HR initially told me that of course it was classified as sick leave, having spoken to my ward manager they have now reassessed the situation and given me 8 days off. I don't know what the situation would be if I went to my GP after my 8 days sick leave and got a sick note, they wouldn't be able to call it annual leave then would they? I'm tempted to cancel this annual leave and actually go back into work after my 8 days sick leave and just not do any physical work, they wouldn't like that, for sure!

Hi Gill

If you went to your GP and got a sick note they would have to pay you sick pay as per your organisations sick absence policy.

I was a lucky one I had 10 weeks off on full pay. its a funny one this is as travel insurance companies also class it as cosmetic

I work for the NHS and i told my boss within about 4 weeks of taking my post (with a new pct) that i was in the process of getting a gastric bypass (hopefully within 6 months). I said i wanted to save my annual leave and use it for recovery after the operation. After ringing HR i was told i'd have to have sick leave... You can't win lol xx

It's really sad that some employers feel the need to pigeon hole any WLS surgery as cosmetic, whether it be self funded or not. I cant see how a nose job could add to productivity, however I can see how an employee physically fit will surely increase productivity and in the long term lead to less time needed to be taken sick due to the related disorders which come with obesity.

I know that we are in a delicate climate and also that working in smaller companies is different, but people should not feel frightened to question employers who reply to them in the same fashion which the OP has had to suffer.

If possible I would encourage many people to approach HR directly and bypass their line manager and if anything arises it will be between the manager and HR. Also Chrystal is right if push comes to shove the symptoms you display in your recovery period can warrant a sick note from your GP and therefore entitle to even the basic SSP procedures

I have personally taken 2days annual leave as I am having a band fitted, however should I have had a bypass I would have definately not taking the time as holiday/annual leave. Being that I intend to spend my actual annual leave displaying my results on a beach....

Back