• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Welsh Assembly denied me again..warning long post

Hollyhunny

5 years of waiting
The latest update in my neverending fight...

1. I am funded for the gastric bypass

2. Surgeon won't do it without me first having an apronectomy.

3. Welsh Assembly turned me down because....
my BMI isn't under 25!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. I can appeal which I have,g.p has written a letter. and I have too..
have a look...

Dear So and So,
My request for a apronenctomy was denied quoting that my BMI should be under 25.

I am writing this letter to appeal my case. I feel it is necessary to explain my medical status.

I am suffering from Extreme morbid obesity,it is sometimes called "malignant" or super-obesity. Patients who suffer from malignant obesity have a BMI of 50+ and are typically about 200 pounds or more over ideal body weight. Patients suffering from malignant obesity incur much greater health dangers, including an increased risk of dying estimated at 5-10 times greater than that of people of normal weight.
I am 33.5 stone, with a circumference of 75 inches. I suffer with chronic acute back pain. There is tremendous pain and stress on my hips and knees and ankles.
I have constant rashes under my skin folds
which never go away although while the use of corticosteroids may help lessen the symptoms. My mobility is constantly decreasing. I am now on
the physiotherapist list to be evaluated for a Heavy Duty 4 Wheel Rollator Bariatric Walker.

I have a severe hanging pannus.The fat and skin apron (abdominal panniculus) is graded according to its size and extent. The most notable pains from pannus growth are lower back pain,
rashes,skin ulcers and gangrene.It can eventually cut off blood flow, Once you've developed a pannus like this, it's literally impossible to get rid of .
My Pannus apron reaches my knees, this is classed as a Grade 5.
In my case, panniculectomy or apronectomy is not a cosmetic procedure, but medically necessary to perform indicated major intra-abdominal surgery
Panniculectomy provides operative exposure with acceptable risks of complication

Difference Between Panniculectomy and Abdominoplasty
A panniculectomy is quite different from abdominoplasty (tummy-tuck). Abdominoplasty tightens muscle as well as removing skin and fat,
but a panniculectomy deals exclusively with excess skin and fat. A panniculectomy may also be performed with another abdominal surgery,
such as a Gastric Bypass.

I only wish that you can reevaluate your decison reguarding my pannectomy given the reasons I have stated above.
Sincerely,

So does anyone have any ideas of what I should do now?

help <sigh>

Oh dear, Im so sorry to hear this. You would think they would actually review the cases on a person by person basis!

The letter sounds fantastic, they only suggestion I would make would be to refer more to how it effects your day to day life.

Good luck x

hi my love xx

The only advice i can give would be "open it up to the public"! I advise you contact your local mp or equivilent, also contact the papers and explain that your being denied possibley a life saving treatment for which is not cosmetic X The more pressur on these people from all angles the better, you see they don't want the Lime light on them all the time there being proven to be "incompetent" in making decisions with regards to health! I would also contact your g.p and get him to refer you to a rhuematologist ( i cant spell) and get some x-rays go your knee's & ankels to prove the shear amount of pressure that your legs are having to bear!! also i would be contacting a private plastic surgeon and asking him to make a formal report of the negative impact that this has and is causing you, also to high light the health benefits of getting the surgery and quick xxx

I really wish you the best of luck xxxxxxxxxxx

hiya i was turned down at first by WAG but have not been accepted, in Wales its very hard and strict the criteria, I know not much help sorry but send your letter hun and keep trying xx

i wish you all the best hun with your plight x

Keep fighting! By the way has your surgeon put in writing the medical reason why he will not operate without you having the other procedure done? Have you asked him to get a second opinion? I know some people who post on here who were a similar weight and their surgeons were prepared to do the surgery. May be worth checking.

If you have funding would they be prepared to refer you elsewhere? I am thinking about Chichester who seem to have made a name from performing on larger patients. May be worth getting in touch with them and seeing if they would do it given the funding is there.

tranquil x

I really hope you get some help soon. I agree with getting a second opinion. I also agree with tranquil on seeing if your funding can be transferred to a hospital where they are happy to do the bypass without the additional surgery.

Best of luck xxx

Have you tried contacting BOSPA? This sounds like the sort of case they'd be very interested in helping with.

Good luck hon.

Back