• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

is this normal?

branmelis773

Hi all! i am 4 weeks out and have lost 22pounds since my surgery. this week I only lost 1.8 lounds. :cry:
is that normal. am I expecting too much or am I doing something wrong?
It was my time of the month...maybe thats why?
what is a normal weight loss each week?
Im just worried I'll be the one person it doesnt really work for. :sigh:
maybe i am just being greedy...i dont know....:confused:

It is perfectly normal so don't worry. You have just gone through major surgery so your body will still be coming to terms with having less food. It is also perfectly normal to stay the same some weeks and then have a bigger weight loss the following weeks.

Follow the rules and you'll be fine, the weight will fall of you.

Thank you Andrea! I'm beating myself up & second guessing everything. I'm going to a support meeting tomorrow thank goodness. I missed last week due to snow (living in California we don't get much snow & I wasn't comfortable driving) so thank you for being my support! :)
Lots of love to you on your journey
Brandi

hi there,

I weigh myself every 2 weeks and sometimes Ive only lost 1/2 lbs,and I had a stall of 6 weeks where I hardly lost anything.
But in the last 2 weeks i lost 7lbs,it just happens,,try not to worry x

It has been 6 weeks since my surgery and I have lost 30 pounds. I have learned to not weight myself every week because I don't lose that much, so I weigh myself every other week and pretty much every other week I lose 5 pounds. So don't freak out when you only lose a pound or two a week.

also, i found that when i dont lose a lot on the scales, i lose inches.. and there will be weeks when you dont lose a lot, but it all evens out in the end. good luck, xxx

Thank you all for youjr replies, I'm still the same :( but I went to a support group last night & we went through my caloric intake & I'm not taking anything in. So they thought maybe I'm on starvation mode so I have to try to do better about eating & getting my protein in. Latly I've only been drinking protein & water, not really eating. I had a couple bad experences trying things that I think are to advanced for where my body is. So today I'm going to try to eat 6 small meals & drink my water & protein 3 times so I get all my required amounts in. I think 3 meals can be my protein shakes so I'm gonna try. Wish me luck.
Thanks again everyone for your support.
I hope all of your journeys are going well
<3 Brandi

glad you went to a support group, they are a fantastic way to gain information and express your concerns... good luck on your journey x

even if you do everything exactly right, your weight loss may still slow or stall. Your body will go at its own pace, so don't panic if you don't lose. And I don't think there's a 'right' amount to lose! one week may be nothing and then another 5 pounds... I lost a pound a week for 6 weeks, and then suddenly up to 3 pounds a week. As long as its going in the right direction, try to chill a little bit! (easier said than done, I know)
Hugs, Grace xxx

Hi Brandi, hope things are going well for you.

I have found that the best piece of information is to ban the scales (or at least don't use them often). When I was at the weight loss stage I weighed myself every few weeks, don't get me wrong it was hard but so worth it. The losses were better. Even now that I am maintaining I just weigh myself every few weeks and kind of judge things on my clothes.

Keep us posted on how you are getting on.

Hi all! I'm doing ok! Still battling my head & being WAY critical of myself. Taking your advice staring to day and baning the scales. I need to stop focusing on the # and focus on ME! I am walking everyday and yesterday started my Wii. :)
I just need to focus on other things in my life, as prepared as I thought I was....I wasn't even close. I think somewhere in my mind I thought I would come out of surgery thin lol jk
I can tell I've lost I feel better and my cloths fit amazingly better! What's scarey is I'm wearing the same jeans I wore before, there baggy but HOLY COW how tight was my jeans before LOL!
Can we all say "Muffin Top" LOL
(Muffin top=the fat that squishes up and over jeans in your middle section!)
Hope all of you are having a good week
<3 Brandi

HI Brandy. I'm so glad you're feeling better love. On average I've mainly lost 1 -2 pounds most weeks. Occasionally I have a really good week and lose even 3, 4 or 5 pounds....but that's not common.
But the cumulative effect of all those 'measly' 1 and 2 pounds is amazing. I have now lost 5 stones 1 pound since surgery, and 6 stones since pre-op commenced seriously on 7th July last year. I feel so different and have come down between 5 and 7 dress sizes depending on where I buy my clothes.
It feels awesome.
You will soon be having the same experiences too.
Well done on your progress so far. Be kind to yourself now and most of all...ENJOY the journey, take in the scenery along the way....and you WILL get there much happier and less stressed!
Grace xxx

Great advice grace, i'm definitelty going to remember to enjoy it, something many of us probably forget to do as we are so stressed out about doing things correctly.................NOTE TO SELF.....ENJOY IT !!!

Hi Brandi and congrats on your weightloss and inches so far. You have already gotten some excellent advice, I would like to add a couple more things if you don't mind.

1) In looking at your starting weight you appear to be at the lower end compared to others who start at a much higher weight. The term for this is "lightweights". Some lightweights may lose at a slower rate than those with more to lose simply because they don't have as much to lose. It doesn't mean you won't lose it, you will. It does mean though that you shouldn't compare yourself to others who had a higher starting weight and are losing at a fast rate to start. Ideally it is best to not compare yourself to anyone period but I know that we all tend to do it to a certain extent.

2) I applaud you for stopping the frequent weighing as it can easily turn into an obsession. I am one who weighed daily and sometimes multiple times a day. Can you say obsessed much LOL!?? It was so bad that what I saw on the scale (a drop - no movement - or God forbid a slight increase) would dictate how my day went. It was crazy!

3) I suggest that you get a pair of "reference jeans" that don't fit you now (maybe go to a thrift store and buy some two or three sizes too small) and try them on once a week. You will get a much better picture of where you are this way than by a number on a scale and it is such a rush to watch the clothes get closer and closer to fitting and then too big (like your pre-WLS jeans!).

4) The starvation mode thing is very real. I hope you are now including some food in amongst the protein and water and that it is helping. I lived off pintos and cheese at first as it is soft and protein. Some things the surgeon wanted me to eat made me sick. I just couldn't tolerate them. Turned out that part of it was that I became lactose intolerant instantly but didn't realize it right away. I lived off s/f jello, s/f yogurt, mashed potatoes and pintos and cheese until he allowed me to move to eggs, soft meats like tuna and on from there. All surgeons are different and all have different plans so you definitely want to stay in touch with him and his support group about what you can eat and can't tolerate.

Well, I have written a book (sorry but it's a bad habit LOL!) and I hope you find something useful in it. It sounds like you are doing great so keep up the good work.

Take care,
Kellye

Thank you all so much for your advice & inspiring comments :)
I feel lucky to have all of you for support & hope to give support back to anyone that needs me! Especially when I'm further down the line, now I just feel lost most of the time lol
I am using all the advice & tools you all have recommended!
Thank you again for

OOPS.... pushed the button too soon! LOL :D
So again....
Thank you all for the support & I truly feel blessed
All of my love to each of you
Brandi

Back