• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is WLS the easy way out?

It is easier as the results are better , but i have to say i word really hard for every pound i lose. I stick to the rules, i have not had bread,cakes, any sweet snacks, chocolate, icecream or crisps at all since my op in September, i eat from a small side plate and stop when i start to feel full. I drink when i should ( not with meals) and i go to the gym 5-6 times a week for about 90 mins per session ( and work hard when i am there). So far i have lost 8 stones and have 2 more to go but the loss has slowed to about 1lb a week. I am now a happy more confident person and slip very easily into a size 14. This would not have happened without my bypass and i am so glad to have taken this step , but i know this is just the begining and i will have to stay as committed and focused on working with my tool for the rest of my life.

Wls is not easy. I still have to exercise and watch what i eat. But its the best decision I've ever made and I will recommend it to anyone who is morbidly obese.

lavelle said:
hi all new to this site and still thinking about band.

Stop thinking and just do it! I love my band and without it would be back in those size 20s versus 10s! You're all right in that it is/isn't easy! It helps you to keep the focus where other times you'd have given in, but it's still hard going....ESPECIALLY THIS LAST BLOOMIN 5LB!!! :)

as others have said yes/no is the answer

yes it is easy in the fact that we should have a sustainable weight loss rather than the previous yo- yoing

no because this only deals with the physical and not psychological reasons why we got to this point in the first place

life changing/altering surgery with many consequences that are also life changing eg the perception of others, jealousy, realisation of yes that is you and you can fit in that dress as well as the medical changes

I can't wait for my surgery and to change my life for ever and to live longer and have a fuller life

I don't think it's easy, but it's successful!
well its a lot easier to lose weight with the op than without it. Good luck everyone :) xxx

Well you have been with me from day one, Caren darlin, so you know my most shaky period was about at the stage you are at now, when I was constantly nauseous :wave_cry:, but once that was over (medication issues) I have gone from strength to strength & am now within sniffing distance of my goal :D but, at 9months out I think I would still say, NO WLS is not the easy way out FOR ME. Because I don't dump on anything, sweet or savoury, & I still have the cursed headhunger, I have had to use as much willpower as on any of my previous, sometimes very successful diets. That does not mean I regret my decision to have the op or that I am not very grateful for this opportunity to reset my life. It has enabled me to relearn how to eat sensibly & this is something I will never backtrack on. It allowed me respite from actual hunger to get my eating habits under control to the point that I now can eat like NORMAL people, lol, which is so liberating. :) I am so glad you finally got your op & are making such a success of it, honey ... not that I ever doubted that if you ever got your chance, you would run with it :D Looking forward to our weekend in our size 10/12's. :D
This is only my experience & everyone is different from banders to bypass & everything inbetween ... but on the whole I feel it really is a lifesaver for many, so not the easy way out, but the only way out :wave_cry: That does not make us failures ... if we needed help in any other area of our lives, we wouldn't be failures then either.
Good luck to any of you that are still at the beginning of your journey co even though it can be long & sometimes a bit bumpy, the end result is beyond our wildest dreams :D:D xxx

I agree with Karlos, yes it's easy to lose weight but the journey isn't easy.

However, after a few weeks of struggling with my bypass I now have no regrets. My weight loss/dress size has been fantastic but more importantly it's helped my head. I'm not pain free but it's at a managable/liveable level and I should hopefully be starting back at work in a month, the first for 3 years.

My tastes have changed completely and there are cetain foods I just don't tolerate but it means I'm now experimenting more in the kitchen and we live and learn.

I still miss diet irn bru, 30 odd years of drinking 2l+ a day don't vanish in a few months. It's a small price to pay for my health.

So to those still contemplating whether or not to go ahead embrace it. It will change your life but only for the better.

ok for me it was the only way out, we can kid ourselves and say that we could diet and exercise, but if that was the case then why are we on this site considering major life changing abdominal surgery, i know that i could lose weight but it wouldn't stay off and something else would happen and back on the pounds come and more than the last time, like most of you i have diabetes, sleep apnoea and lots of other things, i have 5 young kids and for me them and my partner surgery was my only way out, part of the journey is realising that we are in denial, so thats what i did and i realised that if i didnt wanna die by the time i was 40 then i had to have this surgery, and i am glad its over and now i can concentrate on rebuilding my life

Im hoping the easy stuff comes soon! lol :)

Hi all,

There's some interesting points that have been stated and I agree with them all.

Iv lost loads of weight but all ways gain it back, I eat healthy if front of my family but once away I eat for the family (secret eater) lol

I'm addicted to food just like a smoker or heroin addict !!

I'm scared I'll do the same to my kids, that's why I need surgery to control this addiction and hopefuly lose the urges.

Maybe it's a mental illness that I/we have with our relationship to food, I some times wounder ? Other than food I quite Sane!!!!......lol

I wish there was a magic formular that could cure me, but there isn't and Wls is going to be the next best thing....I'm just scared deep down...don't like this statement..but it's true.

Your success stories are inspirational, your written statements ring true, best wishes to you all. Terry

Hi all,

There's some interesting points that have been stated and I agree with them all.

Iv lost loads of weight but all ways gain it back, I eat healthy if front of my family but once away I eat for the family (secret eater) lol

I'm addicted to food just like a smoker or heroin addict !!

I'm scared I'll do the same to my kids, that's why I need surgery to control this addiction and hopefuly lose the urges.

Maybe it's a mental illness that I/we have with our relationship to food, I some times wounder ? Other than food I quite Sane!!!!......lol

I wish there was a magic formular that could cure me, but there isn't and Wls is going to be the next best thing....I'm just scared deep down...don't like this statement..but it's true.

Your success stories are inspirational, your written statements ring true, best wishes to you all. Terry
you'll find it a lot better with the surgery Terry, good luck :) xxx

Back