• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NEWBIE - PLEASE REASSURE!

831phil

Hi, my name is Ruth and I have spent nearly ALL day today reading all the different postings on here which are amazing and inspiring. I have received approval for surgery from the PCT but I wanted a band. They have said the only surgery they will fund is the bypass. I am very nervous about the operation as its much more invasive than the band and I have to see my GP on Tuesday to give my answer. From what I have read today, most of you are more than happy you had the operation!! I have type 2 diabetes, underactive thyroid, polycystic ovaries and a recent health scare with cellulitis which has badly scarred my leg - my GP has told me that this surgery will add 20-25 years to my life - that's a scary number!! Would love to hear from anyone who can reassure me xxx

Hi Ruth :)

I had my bypass NHS nearly 3 years ago and love it. My pics below show the difference it has made. I had minimal pain post op, was back to work after 2 1/2 weeks and now I can eat anything just in smaller portions. I have had some post op side effects, but nothing severe and nothing to make me regret the surgery one bit.

Which PCT do you come under? There may be someone local who can tell you more about how things work for you.

The good news is that the bypass puts most cases of type 2 diabetes into remission :) almost straight away. Weight loss increases fertility (again see my pics lol), I struggled to conceive pre-op but fell pregnant at 8 months post op and have a gorgeous son as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I've just had my bypass and I love it. I'm 9 days post-op, and completely free of pain.

A band is very helpful in losing weight, and it's successful for a lot of people, but in your case, a bypass is better as you have diabetes. Did you read that even non-obese diabetics are having bypass surgery as sometimes, just hours after, they can be off Insulin.

There's risks with all surgeries, but to put yourself in the best shape, and lower your risk - start eating healthily and exercising NOW. It doesn't have to be long or strenous, just a half hour walk every day at first.

It's not all smooth sailing, just so I'm clear - you will have to do the work after. You will need to take your meds and keep up your fluid intake, and make sure you're eating the right foods - but that applies to the band too, to a point.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me, or post here, and I or any other bypasser here will be happy to answer.

x

Aw, thank you to both of you. I am in Bury near Manchester. I dont think I will have a problem with keep up with medication - been doing 10 tablets a day for nearly 3 years now - for one thing or another and hopefully most of these will not be needed when I am fit and healthy. I have to take statins as well as diabetic medication and also anti-depressants. Just the thought of surgery brings a smile to my face so I think I have made the right decision. Thank you xx:)

Ahh there are loads of mancs on here :) there is a support group in Salford that meets once a month which is open to pre-ops, that would be a great way to speak to post oppers properly and learn more about the process locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hi Ruth, I had my bypass 6 months ago and im 6st 5lb down my life has changed so much. I love my bypass. Good Luck to you.

Hello and welcome to the site Ruth you have been given some good advise regarding the bypass.
I am 3 and half weeks out from having my bypass and feel great, losing lots of weight.
The operation just as any op is hard in the beginning but i recovered very quickly and it has been so worth it.

Welcome along love and hope you enjoy the forum x

Just keep on reading the threads on here that is where i gained my confidence for the op. The gastric bypass rocks! xxx

Hellooooooo Im a Manc and I had my bypass just over 5 months ago and its the best thing I ever did....I had lots of co-morbidities and had no complications and Im 6 and a half stone down :D XX

Hi Ruth

Good luck on your journey, its only natural to worry about such a life changing event x

im a ex bander im now a bypass and i must say personally i prefere the bypass x

Hi hun.
My hubby had a bypass on 21 Feb - he's lost 26 lbs as of yesterday, stopped taking painkillers the day after his op and was taken off all his diabetes medication within 48 hours! His blood levels have never been so good!
He's got 5 little scars on his tummy, each no longer than an inch, and I guess with whatever surgery you have if it's keyhole you'll only have a few the same.
I'm waiting for mine, our ops were the same date but I had unrelated issues so I'm waiting for a new date.
Honestly - it's the best thing ever for him - and I'm really jealous of how well he's doing!
Whichever surgeon you see they ask lots of questions to determine the best op according to your specific eating habits - they'll only recommend what's best for you.

Have fun reading the site hun - I've found it invaluable and have lots of great friends I can call on for advice and support or just have a natter to when I want to.

Welcome! x

I had my bypass over a year ago now and although it was hard emotionally and physically I don't regret it one bit. The first two months post op are the hardest but after that it's just adjusting to your new life.

Everyone's experiences are different, I had some pain and discomfort and I was off work for 4 weeks before going back (I'm desk bound work wise) and I had some complications which were sorted out fairly quickly but were unpleasant to treat.

I got referred to the surgeon thinking I wanted a band but after finding out all the statistics and facts around each type of surgery, I decided to go with the bypass and I'm glad I did. I won't lie and say it's easy and a breeze as each individual experience is different. Mine was particularly emotionally difficult for me and for the first two months I regretted it. But after getting used to it and learning my new limits I've lost 10 stone and I've adjusted to my new life and learned to enjoy it.

Oh thank you to everyone - already I feel like I know you all well - have spent nearly 3 days just reading everyone's stories. Didnt go to bed until 2am last night - so inspiring - I just hope that one day someone is reading my amazing story!! Ruth x:)

How long from referral to consultation?

Well, I went to see my GP today and it was a very positive meeting. She is sending off my letter to the Spire - I have asked if she can request Mr Ammori, who is the surgeon I want, and she said she will mention it but its not guaranteed - please keep your fingers crossed for me. Can anyone tell me how long it was from referral to hearing from the Surgeon for the first consultation?? Thanks, Ruth xx

Well done Ruth on taking the first step on your journey. I was like you, decided on the band, surgeon told me to go for a bypass - I chickened out to be honest but then via this site made the decision to go ahead. I am so pleased I did. Six months and six stone lighter I am over the moon. Best decision I have ever made.

Good luck on your journey xxx

Just been reading another diary and you mentioned blue dye - can you tell me what this was? Very interesting?

Back