• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

January 2014 surgeries

JennaMarie I just felt so useless. All I did was hold her hand and tell her that the emergency services were on their way and to hang on in there. Just wanted to comfort her and not let her be all alone. She had a child's car seat in the back and a child's health book and they sent dogs up to check a baby hadn't been thrown from car into fields( live in a rural area). Luckily not. Don't know any thing about a therapist being available to me! Probably not as I was done on the NHS! Good thing is, feel sick but really want a stiff brandy to calm my nerves! Hope they clear the wreckage before my children come home. Don't want them to see it. She hit a lorry. Skidded on mud. Farmers have been muck spreading last few days and we live on a sharp bend. They're taking the lorry away now. Have taken all their photos and measurements. Still in shock.

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

What you did is one of the best gifts you can give someone. Sometimes there just isn't anything else to do but to let them know someone is there. I came home today after a horrid day at work to find out that my husband's grandad had died today. All I could do is just sit there with him while he processed the news. There's nothing else I can do but let him know he's not alone.

Hope you feel a bit more stable now. :)

Hi Hun, you did one of life's greatest gifts, being there supporting someone dying in company. Be very proud of what you did.
You are entitled to psych help via NHS, ask gp for it to support you through your own trauma and this additional huge agony. Sadly you will probably be involved in the coroners enquiry and so your grief may be more prolonged for you.
Horrible , horrible, horrible but what a star you were and you couldnt do anymore. I'm an ex police officer and also a bereavement counsellor previously so please help yourself by staying on a positive of how you helped her. It will be natural to think what if, about her family, and torturing yourself, but you need to heal you now and let the professionals get on with what they do.
Be kind to yourself. Light a candle for her if you want n lie some flowers on the spot. Think yourself lucky n be positive.
Humongous hugs, that could have been anyone you helped tonight.
If you need help, come back to me, I can help you so u cope with your shock a bit better. Xxxxx

Thank you 2nd timer. Kept looking at her and thinking, that could have been me. She was about my age and I feel guilty tonight. Had a massive panic attack when my kids came home and called my district nurse who came out to me immediately and said it was delayed shock. All the time it was going on I was fine. I stood comforting her for 15 mins until paramedics arrived and started CPR. I saw her breath her last breathe. Can't get that image out of my head tonight. She had a daughter the same age as my son 17 who,had a baby. Poor poor woman and her family. So sad. Can't get over what an awful year I'm having and it just seems to be getting worse. Was just getting over the trauma of my 2ops and having open surgery and now I have this trauma to deal with. So shocking.

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Have a low fat hot choc or hor licks n a bath n bed for you. Get some lavender oil in your bedroom if u have any. Remember your maternity relaxation techniques. You have done more than many could of. Rest that thought in your head. Night xx

Nice idea but I still have an open wound in my tummy so will have to give the bath a miss! Also could never get out of it after being opened up from breastbone to belly button! Looking forward to that 1 st bath!

Nice idea but I still have an open wound in my tummy so will have to give the bath a miss! Also could never get out of it after being opened up from breastbone to belly button! Looking forward to that 1 st bath!
I bet. I can't get in n out of a bath so I have a shower. But do have an outside hot tub in warmer days :)

Thank you 2nd timer. Kept looking at her and thinking, that could have been me. She was about my age and I feel guilty tonight. Had a massive panic attack when my kids came home and called my district nurse who came out to me immediately and said it was delayed shock. All the time it was going on I was fine. I stood comforting her for 15 mins until paramedics arrived and started CPR. I saw her breath her last breathe. Can't get that image out of my head tonight. She had a daughter the same age as my son 17 who,had a baby. Poor poor woman and her family. So sad. Can't get over what an awful year I'm having and it just seems to be getting worse. Was just getting over the trauma of my 2ops and having open surgery and now I have this trauma to deal with. So shocking. Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Sharnie what an amazing and inspiring thing you have done! You truly are an angel. I know that if it was me or one of my loved ones, God forbid, I couldn't thank your presence enough! Not everyone could or would do what you did, I'm sorry that you are left with the trauma of it, you wouldn't be the kind person you are if it didn't affect you. I hope you do get some help to cope with it, but in the meanwhile keep talking on here if you feel it helps xxx

Only just caught up. What an amazing thing you have done. No woman should ever feel alone especially at her last moments. Some people would walk away and not get involved but you stayed with a complete stranger and made sure she was not alone.

Sorry if this next bit in insensitive at the moment but need to share that tomorrow will be 2 months after surgery and today I hit the 3 stone lost mark. So happy right now but not a lot of people know I've had it done as I want to surprise people so just needed to share.

Thanks Emma.

Only just caught up. What an amazing thing you have done. No woman should ever feel alone especially at her last moments. Some people would walk away and not get involved but you stayed with a complete stranger and made sure she was not alone. Sorry if this next bit in insensitive at the moment but need to share that tomorrow will be 2 months after surgery and today I hit the 3 stone lost mark. So happy right now but not a lot of people know I've had it done as I want to surprise people so just needed to share.
Great stuff Hun, so pleased for you x

Only just caught up. What an amazing thing you have done. No woman should ever feel alone especially at her last moments. Some people would walk away and not get involved but you stayed with a complete stranger and made sure she was not alone. Sorry if this next bit in insensitive at the moment but need to share that tomorrow will be 2 months after surgery and today I hit the 3 stone lost mark. So happy right now but not a lot of people know I've had it done as I want to surprise people so just needed to share.
sorry to ask, is that weight loss including pre op loss too?

At last, some good news! Having stalled for over 2 weeks I've lost 5lbs in 4 days! Can't believe it! Am 6 weeks post-op and lost 2stone 8lbs or 3stone 4lbs since pre-op diet. Fingers crossed weight loss will continue now!

At last, some good news! Having stalled for over 2 weeks I've lost 5lbs in 4 days! Can't believe it! Am 6 weeks post-op and lost 2stone 8lbs or 3stone 4lbs since pre-op diet. Fingers crossed weight loss will continue now!
Great news, well done you !

Hi guys. I'm reading all your journeys with great interest! I'm looking to get a sleeve done, but I don't know if it will be easier to tie it in with the school hols or when the kids are at school. How long before I'd be able to walk the kids to school after surgery (it's about a mile)?

Thanks! X

Hi guys. I'm reading all your journeys with great interest! I'm looking to get a sleeve done, but I don't know if it will be easier to tie it in with the school hols or when the kids are at school. How long before I'd be able to walk the kids to school after surgery (it's about a mile)?

Thanks! X

A good week or 3! Week 3 post op, it was a slog to walk 15mins to Drs...you cannot eat much & if it's a mile to school, it's a mile back... 4miles a day???? That's a lot....think you need to consider asking for help, contributing to a parent's fuel etc goes long way - maybe an option?????

Hubby will be able to collect, so it's just the drop off. My sister is staying with me for the first week. Hopefully I can get something else sorted. Just planning ahead. Thanks for your reply xxx

Hubby will be able to collect, so it's just the drop off. My sister is staying with me for the first week. Hopefully I can get something else sorted. Just planning ahead. Thanks for your reply xxx
We are all different so it's hard to say timescales. I prepared myself for the worst and found I was almost back to normal in a week bar my energy and driving in ten days. Energy returned in two weeks. I was very lucky with no complications. I did my best to get up and moving just hours following surgery. I had a baby to get home to which made me determined ;-)
You will need some support at home for a few days as simple tasks are exhausting after an anaesthetic!!!

Good luck.

A good week or 3! Week 3 post op, it was a slog to walk 15mins to Drs...you cannot eat much & if it's a mile to school, it's a mile back... 4miles a day???? That's a lot....think you need to consider asking for help, contributing to a parent's fuel etc goes long way - maybe an option?????
Just to be the eternal pessimist, I had major complications with my bypass 61/2 weeks ago and still am unable to drive due to a hole in my tummy which is taking it's time to heal! Gonna be at least another 2 weeks for me!
Having said that I had a band 2 years ago and drove after 10 days. Every case is different!

Back